Orbx Central cannot find the sim

andiflyit

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @Nick

If Orbx Central was installed into a regular user account and is run as an Admin user, it will also search the LOCALAPPDATA directories of both the admin user and the regular user account. I believe the inverse of this won't work if MSFS has put the UserCfg.opt into the admin account. A regular user won't have permissions to access the LOCALAPPDATA directories of the Admin account. I'll need to double check that this is the case when I get onto a Windows machine but from memory this was what we found when we last looked into this for the other simulators.

I've written additional code to write to the central.log file all the paths that are searched for the UserCfg.opt file. This includes the swap between admin and regular user. This should help with troubleshooting why some customers are having trouble with finding MSFS as we'll be able to determine what exact paths are searched and any problems encountering when reading the files at these paths. I'm hoping to have this included in the next update.

20 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Josh,

is it that Orbx Central is looking at the user account but that the installer has put the file into the admin account?

or the other way round of course.

We have had a similar problem before for customers whose Windows user accounts are not administrators.

Hi Nick, you are right, it's a user account confusion. It works now, I've already installed Orbx scenery. 

Orbx Central only searched in the administrator account, not in the standard user account where all my sims are installed.

I created a path in the admin account which didn't exist \appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_xxxxxxxxxxxxx\LocalCache

and only copied the UserCfg.opt over from the other account. And now it can find it because it's only the last line in UserCfg.opt

pointing to the sim.

As I said before there is something not 100% in the way how Orbx Central handles the user accounts. 

Since FTX Central 2 I have the problem that the updates are always downloaded to the admin account and I have to copy them over.

So the first attempt to install the update is always a failure and than it works. This was funny with all the updates since the launch of Orbx Central.

Cheers

Andreas  

On 9/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, Josh Koz said:

Hi @Nick

If Orbx Central was installed into a regular user account and is run as an Admin user, it will also search the LOCALAPPDATA directories of both the admin user and the regular user account. I believe the inverse of this won't work if MSFS has put the UserCfg.opt into the admin account. A regular user won't have permissions to access the LOCALAPPDATA directories of the Admin account. I'll need to double check that this is the case when I get onto a Windows machine but from memory this was what we found when we last looked into this for the other simulators.

I've written additional code to write to the central.log file all the paths that are searched for the UserCfg.opt file. This includes the swap between admin and regular user. This should help with troubleshooting why some customers are having trouble with finding MSFS as we'll be able to determine what exact paths are searched and any problems encountering when reading the files at these paths. I'm hoping to have this included in the next update.

Hi @Josh,

Have you got a solution for this issue Josh?

I seem to be having the same issue where Central doesn't locate my MSFS UserCfg.opt file, although mine is located in my Appdata/local folder structure, and the path is set correctly in the file. This has only stopped being recognised since the last update from MS.

For Central to recognise my MSFS installation, I have to start the sim, and then run Central. It is then available in the drop down selection. On restarting my computer however, it resorts back to not being able to find it.

I was wondering if you have a solution to this?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Nigel,

I've got some changes coming in the next Orbx Central update which will help investigate this issue more deeply and based on what we find adjust the MSFS detection process.

Archived