Slowdown

Variometer

Every year around March and April, when the gliding season is starting in Germany, I take a trip to some of the nearby small airfields, watching those beautiful sailplanes doing their first circles in the sky. And when I'm home again I feel a great need to put my impressions into motions. So it's time for my annual gliding video, and this time I chose a little airfield, which is located about 4 miles south of the city of Hillsboro. No aerobatics or fighter actions, but I hope you'll enjoy anyway.

Slowdown - Indian Summer at Stark's Twin Oaks

I had some problem with the upload to YouTube, so at the moment there is only the Vimeo version. The clip was recorded at 1920*1080, and hence the file is about 410 mb, but for those guys with a fast internet connection I recomment to download the original file and watch the video in fullscreen mode, because I'm sure, that the scenery deserves the effort.

Cheers, Andreas

Andreas, the way you build a scenario never stop to amaze me. amazing work with your camera when the pilot get into the glider.. i loved it. And i m jealous cause you have a much better computer than me. I have a hard time recording long shots without having lag and slutters ...

Guest Northwest Pilot

Phenomenal work! Absolutely amazing! That was a truly awesome experience watching that. Thanks!

Thanks a lot to all of you for your nice comments, I'm almost overwhelmed by your acceptance of my clip :)

@Laurie  - actually when there is an aircraft I really can fly, it's a glider :)

@Xavier - as your can imagine, the entrance into the glider was created with the new EZCA tool, and concerning the lags and stutters, I'm sure you know all the tricks too :)

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the clip. Although my spark of enthusiasm for Youtube is fading, since they changed their layout some weeks ago (new voting mode, confusing order of comments, missing 3D controls, raised advertising, blocking of several videos with Sony sound material in Germany etc) here are my YouTube links:

my current video:

my YouTube account (Varioflight): http://www.youtube.com/user/Varioflight

The birds and balloons were added with a tool called 'Instant Scenery', which allows to create or modify fsx sceneries.

Cheers, Andreas

WOW!! Andreas, that has to be the best flight simulation video I have ever seen. I'm blown away by the sharpness and high resolution. You video is also a work of art from the angles, perspective, editing, and music. I absolutely love this. I think I now need to purchase the Twin Oaks scenery. :)

James

• 2 weeks later...

Wow :) :) :)

one of the best FSX videos I have seen. To my opinion a great piece of art. Awesome  :)

Fantastic, I am speechless :) I like this feeling: to be there. Looking at the screen an

listening to Tangering Dream makes me fell totally relaxed.

By the way greetings from Duisburg ;D (for the other user: my hometown is a few miles away ;D )

Cheers Uwe

Superb Vid!

Reminiscent of Soaring Heroes from awhile back.  Love the soundtrack to this new vid even more.

This should be on Starks product page for sure!!  (oops, I'm late to this party, it already is :) )

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you like my gliding clips, because they are the ones in which I put most of my efforts; they always will mean something special to me and of course there will be a new one next year at the latest ;)

@Uwe - I'd like to respond to your greetings, I'm working in the 'Innenhafen' of Duisburg each day, so we're almost neighbors :)

Cheers, Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

...and here lies the video that made me an FTX convert.  I'd never heard of orbx before seeing that vid on YouTube, so I have to give you my thanks for showing me that gliding in FSX can be spectacular (if not overly realistic!)

Cheers,

Derek

ftx is not overly realistic, we tend to ask it to be.  If we use the basic flightsim 'clear all weather', super fine and beaut, then we fly always in the weather we see on only a few days a year.  In Europe almost never, even on fine days there is a permanent haze:  and in SE Asia and China almost never because of smoke from burning rainforest, or industrial activity in China, Korea, Taiwan, Japan.

So in PNW reduce the sight distance to 40miles, it will take a load off your machine, and be more realistic. Cloud, drizzle and occasional sun is more the norm.  Remember green = cloud and rain.  Also coastal eastern Aus because of sea affects, but in the interior, full fine, but no problem as no urban autogen, or not much!

Real Weather is a good way to go, if you are happy with it, and some of the challenges it throws up.

Archived