How to move main library Mac OS

Just purchased TE HD SoCal and NorCal which I installed on my C drive.  Absolutely love them and decided to purchase Florida, Oregon and Washing TE HD as well.  Problem is not enough space on my C drive however I have an S drive with 2TB of space.  What is the best way to move my existing SoCal and NorCal libraries and install the remaining FL, OR, WA?

• 2 months later...

Having problems with this. Followed the instructions. Opened Central, deleted the library, copied the library folder and contents from one external drive to another. Quit Central. Restarted Central. Clicked Create Library. I give it the same name and point to the new location. 

However, it always comes up with an error: THE LIBRARY LOCATION ISN'T EMPTY.  Have tried numerous times. Have tried a different name for the library, tried pointing to the xp11 folder within the main library folder. Always get the error.

macOS Mojave

Tried creating a new empty folder on the new drive and that allowed me to create a new library there, but nothing was put into it despite having used the Find Libraries, selecting the existing one that had been moved to the new drive, then using the Add. But it did then show that there was a library there with the new name. However, it showed it as empty zero kb. 

I then tried moving the sub xp11 folder from the old library (that had been moved to the new drive) and put it into the new folder that was being recognized as a library within Central.

However, starting XP (11.41), the scenery did not load (Key West/TE FL). In looking at the aliases in the XP/Custom Scenery folder, they are not functional. Looks like Central cannot create a correct alias/symbolic link for Mac. I think I remember that issue from a while back. 

Looks like it may take a lot more work.

Log.txt scenery_packs.txt

SOLVED

I think I remember now how Central cannot do this on Mac since it creates incorrect symbolic links within the XP/Custom Scenery to the remote library. In the end, in order to move the Library. I had to:

1. Open Central, delete the existing library on the old drive.
  2. Move the actual Library folder to the new drive, then create a new empty folder with a new name.
  3. After quitting and restarting Central, create a new Library within the new folder on the new drive/ Quit Central.
  4. Drag the old xp11 subfolder from the old library to the new empty library folder, then restart Central. Eventually it will show that the new Library has content.
  5. Remove all the old symbolic link files from XP/Custom Scenery for all Orbx remote Library directories/folders (I moved them to an empty folder for reference).
  6. Use Mac's Terminal app to create new symbolic links for each of the remote libraries sub Custom Scenery folders. Following the attached instructions and using the "ln -s" command, you can recreate now-functioning symbolic links to the new locations. Within Terminal, you can drag/drop the folders to eliminate needing to hand type the actual directory paths.

It now works, and no need to change the scenery_packs file since it should be good to go just as before this process. So in the end, with a Mac, can't really use Central to move the Library. 

How to Create and Use Symbolic Links (aka Symlinks) on a Mac.pdf

• Nick Cooper changed the title to How to move main library Mac OS

UPDATE

I was wrong on the scenery_packs.ini file. It DOES require rebuilding. For some reason, it did not recognize the same names from the new symbolic links and, thus, put them all at the top of the ini file. Had to go in and resort things. 

All in all, not an easy, quick task just to move the remote Library.

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @neilw,

Can you let me know what version of Orbx Central you attempted this process with?

Quite recently I made some changes to the scan and add simulator functionality to avoid the 'Library location isn't empty' error. Version 4.1.23 adds a lot of extra files/folders to the ignore list and logs to the central log any that are preventing the library from being added. When a library is added Orbx Central scans it for products and performs a sync simulator to recreate all the symlinks.

The steps outlined in the User Guide should work with 4.1.23 across all operating systems. Or at the very least, log what files/folders are causing issues.

14 hours ago, Josh Koz said:

Hi @neilw,

Can you let me know what version of Orbx Central you attempted this process with?

Quite recently I made some changes to the scan and add simulator functionality to avoid the 'Library location isn't empty' error. Version 4.1.23 adds a lot of extra files/folders to the ignore list and logs to the central log any that are preventing the library from being added. When a library is added Orbx Central scans it for products and performs a sync simulator to recreate all the symlinks.

The steps outlined in the User Guide should work with 4.1.23 across all operating systems. Or at the very least, log what files/folders are causing issues.

@Josh Koz I was using v.4.1.23

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @neilw

It that case it's likely that a file is missing from the ignore list. The central.log file will have logged what file this is. Though if you've restarted Orbx Central a few times since, it's likely that this has been rotated out.

Archived