Question for the Orbx scenery

1. The scenery for Orbx is just using CPU to run? 

As when I flight England or Portland, just CPU is working to load the scenery and the usage of GPU only around 15-25% at all time.

2. Can I adjust the setting to let CPU load the scenery immediately?

I dont why when I flight over England South the scenery will not loading immediately, and I paused the game then wait 1 minute the CPU just start to work loading the scenery... the following capture for reference.

Before, seem the CPU not prepare to load the scenery. 

image.thumb.png.8d2e56a4d5ebb7ef8d0bd1b7416b1cbb.png

After 1 minute, CPU just start to work

image.thumb.png.80953d3005cded70940a7b74f5b02865.png

As you can see the GPU is do nothing during scenery loading..= =

image.thumb.png.3ded3f00c3e793ad8650d7449cff6286.png

Who have encourage the problem when Orbx, have any solution to solve? thanks.

Mine spec is Ryzen 7 3800X 8 core, 64GB, RTX 2070s 

@ericwong Not sure how long you have been using P3D or FSX but this is fact of life with a software that is so old it dates back to pre 2008, they are both CPU bound from the old 32bit days you can increase GPU usage by increasing Tessellation setting to 100% as apparently this what tells P3D to use more of your GPU, but you will not see the same GPU usage as you do in modern games/sims the best way to get better Graphics currently is to over clock your CPU.

You will also notice it doesn't use multi core much either which why at present Intel chips are slightly better than AMD as there single cores tend to run faster and can be overclocked higher. 

So this has nothing to do with Orbx they are constrained by the software they work with and to be fair Lockheed Martin have done a great Job of getting P3D to work more with the GPU than FSX did. and In V5 its even better with DX12 but only if Devs use the API correctly with there scenery especially around VRAM usage. 

22 minutes ago, Kwarazi said:

@ericwong Not sure how long you have been using P3D or FSX but this is fact of life with a software that is so old it dates back to pre 2008, they are both CPU bound from the old 32bit days you can increase GPU usage by increasing Tessellation setting to 100% as apparently this what tells P3D to use more of your GPU, but you will not see the same GPU usage as you do in modern games/sims the best way to get better Graphics currently is to over clock your CPU.

You will also notice it doesn't use multi core much either which why at present Intel chips are slightly better than AMD as there single cores tend to run faster and can be overclocked higher. 

So this has nothing to do with Orbx they are constrained by the software they work with and to be fair Lockheed Martin have done a great Job of getting P3D to work more with the GPU than FSX did. and In V5 its even better with DX12 but only if Devs use the API correctly with there scenery especially around VRAM usage. 

thanks for reply.

So v5 only uses the CPU? Because I have used v4 before and I saw GPU CPU was also used much during flight...  

And now the only way to improve the performance just change CPU to Intel or overclock the CPU, as I realize turn down the setting was doesn't helpful. 

46 minutes ago, ericwong said:

thanks for reply.

So v5 only uses the CPU? Because I have used v4 before and I saw GPU CPU was also used much during flight...  

And now the only way to improve the performance just change CPU to Intel or overclock the CPU, as I realize turn down the setting was doesn't helpful. 

At the contrary V5 uses much more the GPU and relax a little CPU usage.

You should check your configuration (specially start by suppressing all OC).

Have tested a clean install of V5 without any addon ?

4 hours ago, gaab said:

At the contrary V5 uses much more the GPU and relax a little CPU usage.

You should check your configuration (specially start by suppressing all OC).

Have tested a clean install of V5 without any addon ?

I never try OC at all.:wacko:

70-90 fps without any addon. :-[

What scenery is this ?

Could you show the parameters of your Prepar3D (just the Display and World tabs of Options).

Nota : you have a PowerFull Graphic card and the bottleneck could well be the CPU if your parameters are too "ambitious" for the scenery.

Gérard

19 hours ago, gaab said:

What scenery is this ?

Could you show the parameters of your Prepar3D (just the Display and World tabs of Options).

Nota : you have a PowerFull Graphic card and the bottleneck could well be the CPU if your parameters are too "ambitious" for the scenery.

Gérard

image.thumb.png.60f27bb4643248d9489d0820966286da.pngimage.thumb.png.df3e1955af34c8b9f1d5172c48717729.png

I have overclock automatically, normally can reach 4.3ghz,

but as you can see the below capture, when loading some scenery it will down to 4.1ghz, i dont know why....:wacko:

image.thumb.png.450b60fddf5e4ad8d4bd186baf6a2118.png

image.thumb.png.57f7fa227a8ce461424e12121773f6bb.png

moreover, it use 6 minute and half to loading in the game, is it too long time? 

Six and a half minutes isn't a million miles away from what you should expect.

London is about the worst place in the world for flying around in.  What doesn't help is that you're doing 650 knots at low level, so nothing can keep up as you try to make it throw pixels at the screen.  It just can't do it.  Head out into the countryside, and you should do better.  Or slow down.

Apart from Dynamic Texture Streaming which is useless for your configuration (and may decrease performance), your parameters are OK, but I fully agree with Mickel.

You cannot expect better results in this area at this speed and altitude !

Sorry ;)

2 hours ago, gaab said:

Apart from Dynamic Texture Streaming which is useless for your configuration (and may decrease performance), your parameters are OK, but I fully agree with Mickel.

You cannot expect better results in this area at this speed and altitude !

Sorry ;)

What CPU can handle London this place... I also try to use depart from EGLL with 787 but CPU also cant handle it:'(

or just EGLL, London these true earth south areas will become like this? other place in England is fine?

8 hours ago, ericwong said:

What CPU can handle London this place... I also try to use depart from EGLL with 787 but CPU also cant handle it:'(

or just EGLL, London these true earth south areas will become like this? other place in England is fine?

Your CPU can handle London just fine.
Just like mine can with London and TE GB, payware EGLL, 787 payware and external weather engine. See the performance info in the top left of my screenshot.
(Settings significantly reduced to prevent OOM of VRAM).

As has been pointed out a few times already on this thread, you cannot expect to have TrueEarth work at 652kts. There's too much detail and even the default P3D can struggle to load scenery and objects at those speeds.
I've found 180 - 200kts is the absolute maximum for flying near a city in TrueEarth.

What you haven't told us is what size monitor you are using and at what resolution. Why have you chosen a target frame rate of 41 FPS?
I run my sim at 8xMSAA at 30 FPS locked using Nvidia Control Panel. My monitors' refresh rates are 60Hz, but 30 FPS divides nicely.

What temperature is your CPU running at during these screenshots?
Do you have lots of AI traffic (airplanes, road, boats)? Any shadows enabled?
Do you use an external weather program? If so, what is the resolution for clouds?
Have you made any tweaks to the Prepar3D.cfg file?

Some more answers needed, but as suggested, try a simpler and slower GA aircraft to see if you still have trouble.

r1WHBxv.jpg

My settings:

https://i.imgur.com/3QRYxlm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/089siOC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zR1GaTK.jpg

Thanks for a deep explanation

Can you also provide the Nvidia Control Panel setting for reference?

I have follow your setting to set and it is my capture. 

image.thumb.png.4109a640c142073b0e6a7c8827bed8f1.png

image.thumb.png.57f3e33e6ea60c39216f306f5e80654e.png

Then crashed when i switch between the pilot vision and third person vision ..........

Above temperature around 65-80c

There wasnt have any traffic

Not yet run the external weather program

Only add two thing in p3d.cfg

ShowDeviceLostWarning=0 and ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0

For this test, I have low down the flight speed to 150-200kts

Any suggestion? :'(

2 minutes ago, ericwong said:

Thanks for a deep explanation

Can you also provide the Nvidia Control Panel setting for reference?

Any suggestion? :'(

Yes!! Untick 'Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation'
It's an absolute killer on performance!

In NCP, under 'Program Settings' for P3D specific settings, I have:
'Max frame rate' = '30FPS'
'Power Management Mode' = 'Prefer maximum performance'
and 'Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias' = 'Clamp'

58 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Yes!! Untick 'Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation'
It's an absolute killer on performance!

In NCP, under 'Program Settings' for P3D specific settings, I have:
'Max frame rate' = '30FPS'
'Power Management Mode' = 'Prefer maximum performance'
and 'Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias' = 'Clamp'

NCP other function is default?

People said mine specs can more better than now but ......:'(

after change setting.

image.thumb.png.a0e3e7cbdd5beacd46a98671f38564ee.png

it is better than before but some parts of the river were unstable which change different graphics in time

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I would suggest that you don't use the Nvidia control panel at all.

The only setting that might be useful is the sharpening.

If so, can you share the setting which without used Nvidia control panel, thanks:wacko:

Archived