Repetitive pattern GB South

Hi there,

I wonder is it something with my GB South installation or is this land texture https://i.imgur.com/LODegRH.png  repetitive pattern something that should not be there?

I didnt notice anything like that in GB North. Should I reinstall or is it known problem?

Thanks!

Rafal.

8 hours ago, Rafal Szul said:

Hi there,

I wonder is it something with my GB South installation or is this land texture https://i.imgur.com/LODegRH.png  repetitive pattern something that should not be there?

I didnt notice anything like that in GB North. Should I reinstall or is it known problem?

Thanks!

Rafal.

Those are decals in the ground texture that are grossly exaggerated when using XP 11.50 beta. It is an issue with XP and appear in all ortho4xp imagery as well that has decals

TEGB North didn't have decals 

On 6/6/2020 at 6:10 AM, Jon Clarke said:

Those are decals in the ground texture that are grossly exaggerated when using XP 11.50 beta. It is an issue with XP and appear in all ortho4xp imagery as well that has decals

TEGB North didn't have decals 

TEGB North looks a lot better for it I think. It would be nice, assuming Orbx do another another update for TEGB central and South, if we could have an option to exclude decals entirely. I see them in 11.41 as well as 11.50, I am not keen on them personally. 

@Rafal Szul @Fizzelle @kvnsnchz

I am going to show you how to remove the decals from TEGB South & Central using this tool, BUT it comes with a Disclaimer. To get the decals back, you will need to run Verify Files  for TEGB South or potentially just reinstall.

The publication is approved by @Tony Wroblewski with the strict proviso about the DISCLAIMER.

The attached tool is available via x-plane.org but I attach it here for your convenience.

You need to make sure that you choose the Orthos/terrain folder and then click on that to open up to reveal all the .ter files.

Click on CTRL+A which will select ALL the ter files and click on Open. The loading of all those ter files will take quite a long time, maybe even 1/2 hour or so. When it is loaded you will go to the new screen and click on Apply having ensured you have selected 0-None in the  Select DECAL to apply option. It will then start the removal process which again will take a fairly long time and must not be interrupted. It could take upto an hour depending on your hardware specs. Your CPU will run at 100% for the whole duration so be aware.

The pics below are to help you understand what to do and I hope I have put them in the correct sequence.

Remember if it goes wrong or is interrupted you will need to Verify Files as a minimum. Any new update version of TEGB South and Central that requires  a reinstall will revert back to decals. Any update though is unlikely to include any changes to the orthos files but in case it does it may be worth keeping a copy of the othos/terrain file safe so that you don't have to go through the process again.

Opening Apply Decals and selecting the location of the Terrain files for TEGB Central as an example. The same process applies for TEGB South/Orthos/terrain. I don't think TEGB North has decals.

Capture.JPG.e55661866e9f377bf1e5ccfa9a46a951.JPG

Choosing TGEB South Orthos/terrain and file type:

Capture1.JPG.81251e78ff4411f831103563c6e4606a.JPG

Click on Ctrl+A to choose ALL the ter files and then click on Open:

Capture3.JPG.76e98dcfa6bc1914866650e95aa22ff1.JPG

When all ter files re loaded you will go to this screen and make sure you have chosen 0-None asnd then click apply. Then go and mow the lawn or something similarly time occupying:lol:

Capture4.JPG.3bd5fa79de41bcddc632dc914f67db09.JPG

ApplyDecals.zip

FINALLY: Remember the DISCLAIMER. You do this at your own risk. To repair any failings you need to run Verify Files or reinstall TEGB South and/or TEGB Central

Thanks for this - I have just gone through this process today with my central and south TE GB. Works fine but a couple of pointers - once you select all the files in the folder, the app will be unresponsive for a while with the circular pointer - it was about 1.5 hours for me. After this, the normal pointer returns and you can just press apply. The application only took about 2 mins for me - you get a green progress bar and then confirmation at the end of how many files were updated. At this point, hit exit - do not try to select the next folder as the app will hang again - presumably it is evaluating the same folder again. Once you have exited, you can open it again to select the next folder and repeat the steps. I was able to do do photo editing while the decal app was doing it's thing so it's fine to multitask if you need - obviously just avoid running X-Plane!

I no longer have that repeating pattern that was eating away at my OCD! It makes fields look slightly less detailed but I prefer that over that pattern. 

4 hours ago, Donka said:

Thanks for this - I have just gone through this process today with my central and south TE GB. Works fine but a couple of pointers - once you select all the files in the folder, the app will be unresponsive for a while with the circular pointer - it was about 1.5 hours for me. After this, the normal pointer returns and you can just press apply. The application only took about 2 mins for me - you get a green progress bar and then confirmation at the end of how many files were updated. At this point, hit exit - do not try to select the next folder as the app will hang again - presumably it is evaluating the same folder again. Once you have exited, you can open it again to select the next folder and repeat the steps. I was able to do do photo editing while the decal app was doing it's thing so it's fine to multitask if you need - obviously just avoid running X-Plane!

I no longer have that repeating pattern that was eating away at my OCD! It makes fields look slightly less detailed but I prefer that over that pattern. 

It does take a while yes but worth the wait. The decals are so over exaggerated in 11.50

This is a great mod but not without consequence. EGGD from Pilot Plus for example uses decals in their ground Orthos so once you remove the TEGB South decals the PP EGGD decals stand out. For me, being incredibly fussy about the way airports look, particularly EGGD which is my local airport, I spent many many hours sorting this issue out but if people dont know how to do that and are fussy about how things look, removing decals from TEGB may not work as expected. 

2 hours ago, cbcdesign said:

This is a great mod but not without consequence. EGGD from Pilot Plus for example uses decals in their ground Orthos so once you remove the TEGB South decals the PP EGGD decals stand out. For me, being incredibly fussy about the way airports look, particularly EGGD which is my local airport, I spent many many hours sorting this issue out but if people dont know how to do that and are fussy about how things look, removing decals from TEGB may not work as expected. 

I am not sure i understand about "not work as expected". It removes the decals from TEGB which is all that was intended. Any airports with decals will not be touched and there was no intent to touch them.

I'm assuming they mean there is not a seamless transition between the TE GB and the airport scenery for such airports. I'm not at my home pc but would it not be possible to run the same process against the airport terrain files?

4 minutes ago, Donka said:

I'm assuming they mean there is not a seamless transition between the TE GB and the airport scenery for such airports. I'm not at my home pc but would it not be possible to run the same process against the airport terrain files?

Only if the airport in question has ortho and .ter files clearly labelled as such. The Apply Decal programme only deals with .ter files.

Pilot Plus Bristol has ortho but there are no files labelled as .ter in the ortho folder. 

Other airports with ortho+.ter files are Ok to remove decals as the programme will pick up on the existence of .ter files in a Terrain folder if that folder exists.

The point in my post was to clarify that it was only the intention of the programme to deal with TEGB decals. and not every decal evident in other addons.

16 hours ago, cbcdesign said:

This is maybe something you would like to discuss with Pilot Plus:

https://pilotplus.io/product-support/

Jon, gave that a go on TEGB Central per your instructions.  Took an absolute age which surprised me as my machine is not to bad - Intel Core i7 Coffee Lake - 6 core so with HT that's 12, 32GB memory and an SSD.  However, it didn't seem to make any difference in XP - the pattern is still there. 

Checked some .ter files and it does appear to have stripped out the 'DECAL_LIB lib/g10/decals/maquify_1_green_key.dcl' if that's what it was meant to do.  

Any ideas?

Paul

2 hours ago, millingp said:

Jon, gave that a go on TEGB Central per your instructions.  Took an absolute age which surprised me as my machine is not to bad - Intel Core i7 Coffee Lake - 6 core so with HT that's 12, 32GB memory and an SSD.  However, it didn't seem to make any difference in XP - the pattern is still there. 

Checked some .ter files and it does appear to have stripped out the 'DECAL_LIB lib/g10/decals/maquify_1_green_key.dcl' if that's what it was meant to do.  

Any ideas?

Paul

None I am afraid. It does work so something must have happened your end. It will not remove decals from airports so I am assuming your observations are not from an airport or its surrounding.

You could attach a pic if you want but I will not be able to assist further other than suggest you try a rerun.

Yes it does take a long time.

18 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

None I am afraid. It does work so something must have happened your end. It will not remove decals from airports so I am assuming your observations are not from an airport or its surrounding.

You could attach a pic if you want but I will not be able to assist further other than suggest you try a rerun.

Yes it does take a long time.

Jon, noticed I had installed my TEGB orthos on my hard drive rather than SSD, so temporarily moved the Terrain folder to my SSD and ran it again.  That certainly speeded it up!  Moved the folder back and all looks ok now.  Temporarily moving the folder wouldn't have fixed it - but its working now so I'm happy with that.

Thanks

4 hours ago, millingp said:

Jon, noticed I had installed my TEGB orthos on my hard drive rather than SSD, so temporarily moved the Terrain folder to my SSD and ran it again.  That certainly speeded it up!  Moved the folder back and all looks ok now.  Temporarily moving the folder wouldn't have fixed it - but its working now so I'm happy with that.

Thanks

That's good. It does look a lot better without decals in my opinion,.Others may disagree.:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 5:23 AM, Jon Clarke said:

This is maybe something you would like to discuss with Pilot Plus:

https://pilotplus.io/product-support/

Not much point really in my opinion Jon. There are a number of issues with EGGD that need to be resolved, very simple things like the 27/09 painted red sign being totally incorrect on Taxiways H and J. It's 10 minutes work to sort that out for any half competent developer (in fact I have done so myself, creating a new obj and dds using my own texture) but nothing will be done by PP until they update next so I can't see them removing decals from any of the 112 orthos that have them until they do a major update to this airport.

4 hours ago, cbcdesign said:

Not much point really in my opinion Jon. There are a number of issues with EGGD that need to be resolved, very simple things like the 27/09 painted red sign being totally incorrect on Taxiways H and J. It's 10 minutes work to sort that out for any half competent developer (in fact I have done so myself, creating a new obj and dds using my own texture) but nothing will be done by PP until they update next so I can't see them removing decals from any of the 112 orthos that have them until they do a major update to this airport.

I agree. I only mentioned their support forum because they are responsible for customer issues with their products even when using Orbx as a point of sale.

• 7 months later...

Archived