PNW Airport List please?

John York

I know you're going to tell me to Google it with the globe supplied but, and I hope I'm not treading on toes here, I can't say I find it terribly helpful.  It's alright I suppose if you know from were and to your travelling but the thing is, I don't.

So, not being familiar with the geography of this area, I would find a list of the Airports/fields would be useful  This would enable me to plot flights on my road map much as I do for Australia and without which I wouldn't have been able to traverse and go round that continent.

I've looked in the manual but there's not one there.  Is there one about please?

John 

Hi John,

here you go. I can't vouch that it's 100% correct or up to date but it should be pretty close. The list is ordered by state/province and surface type of the runway.

The coordinates are given in decimal degrees; to convert to the FSX standard format (degrees plus decimal minutes) just multiply the fractional part by 60.

Cheers, Holger

FTX_PNW_airport_list.zip

I got myself the Michelin road map of Western USA and Western Canada.  Surprisingly cheap from Amazon at £3.49 inc.postage.  It covers the FTX PNW area and I'm now going through the list marking all the airports on it.  Ok, its a chore but I can do it in the lounge during the evenings with my wife while she watches TV.  Once done it'll be super for planning  flights and picking out the places of interest.

I've done this already with GB and  Australia and it works a treat.  At least you know where to go and what to look out for.  Its VFR made easy! ;D

John

John, you could have just switched Plan-G into road map mode, loaded up the printer and.... saved yourself £3.50, as wel as the effort of marking up the airports (course, you'd have spent £20 in inkjet printer ink, but it's the principle::)  ;))

;D Alright, alright Tim.    I've been avoiding this but you've mentioned it before and I've ignored it on purpose so as not to show my ignorance.  However, you've forced it out of me.  I don't know what the hell 'Plan G' is!!

And from the sound of it, I think I'm going to regret knowing as I've just spent a further £16.59 on the National Geographic Road Atlas of the United States, Canada & Mexico! ::)

So, anyway, come on, let's have it! ;);D

John

Just want to add my sincere thanks to Holger (and JohnY for requesting) for this great list - it was also just what I was after after to get best enjoyment out of flying in PNW.

Maybe uis poms are just bloody lazy but I find some of the GE and Pl G stuff overly complex and would often prefer something simpler but efective like this list, or a basic map.

Thanks for mention of the Michelen map on Amazon too John, I'm going to folow your lead and pick one up and mark the airfields on it.

Cheers!

David R

Maybe uis poms are just bloody lazy but I find some of the GE and Pl G stuff overly complex and would often prefer something simpler but efective like this list, or a basic map.

Plan-G might be complex but it doesn't get much easier than Google Earth. It's certainly a lot more complicated to go through a written list of airports and manually mark them on a map than it is to just double-click on a file and be done 2 seconds later. It's really that easy.

Hi David

Yes, I'm still doing it but be warned, quite a few (or most) of the unlisted strips and soft fields aren't on it.  Not surprising really when you look at some of the names.  ::)

However, there are a few soft strips and almost all of the hard surfaced runways are on it.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the lead on your freeware thingy.  I'll have a go, but reading some of the comments here I'm a little doubtful I could cope.  I'm only an old idiot you know! ;);D

All the best to you both.

John

Hi David

Yes, I'm still doing it but be warned, quite a few (or most) of the unlisted strips and soft fields aren't on it.  Not surprising really when you look at some of the names.  ::)

However, there are a few soft strips and almost all of the hard surfaced runways are on it.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the lead on your freeware thingy.  I'll have a go, but reading some of the comments here I'm a little doubtful I could cope.  I'm only an old idiot you know! ;);D

All the best to you both.

John

Plan-G is a great planning tool and very easy to get onto; even for us older generation types :)

Thank you for that airport/airstrip/... list Holger. What an eye opener.

When you cease the autosuggestion and you stop telling yourself that you won't be able to cope with it you will already have overcome the greatest (if not the only) hurdle that is in the way of using that tool. ;)

8)

John, you'll find the folks at the Plan G forum as friendly and helpful as the folks here. Plan G is easy to use,  you'll love it.  There are files available to add all the OzX airports, and also the PNW fire towers, for rotorheads.

Sue

??? Thanks Sue.  You've suddenly put me off. 

I'm still struggling to get the things down in one piece let alone landing on roofs!  Still, I can fly alright now, well, keep it up and on course but my landings are halfway between a fix wing and a helicopter still because I simply can't get it to hover just a few feet up.  :-[  It either goes backwards or sideways at the last moment, then I panic and take it up again for another try.  In the end I land it on a runway or open space instead! ;);D

Right, now I'm going to the Plan G place of Tim's.

All the best

John

Plan-G might be complex but it doesn't get much easier than Google Earth. It's certainly a lot more complicated to go through a written list of airports and manually mark them on a map than it is to just double-click on a file and be done 2 seconds later. It's really that easy.

Hi Patrick, I tend to like to go on the principal of 'each to their own'. I personally do not like Google Earth one bit. Interface, visuals, the lot. Just don't like it. That's my choice. Would much rather work with a map with locations marked on.  ;)

David, that's where Tim Arnot's Plan G really comes in handy.  It does have a lot of the strips on that the map doesn't show, but with the way Plan G is arranged, its fairly easy to recognise accurately where they are, so you can still mark them up.

An example is Alberni Valley Regional which is actually on a named road at the edge of Alberni Village.

Another advantage of Plan G is that it provides navigational details so many of these hard to find places will be made a lot easier.

Paper plan and Plan G combined is my idea of heaven and I wish I'd had it before now.  I'm sure it would have saved lot's of useless time swanning around after a fairly long flight looking for a nearly invisible strip!

Ray, if you fire up Plan G and hit 'map' the airports are marked.  Under 'find' you can go to the right Country and the right airport.  If you hit 'terrain' you can see the sort off hilly stuff you may have to fly over and so on.  Thsimple as the meerkat say's.

Hark at me.  Had it one day and already I'm an expert......not!

Now if only I can find out how transfer the flight plan to FSX it would save a little more time setting up the flight.  I wonder, wonder,.... :-\ ;);D

John

Thanks for the pointers John.

Can anyone tell me, does Plan-G have to be installed on a PC that has FSX on it?

Ideally, I would rather install it on a second PC (non-networked), rather than my main FSX PC. But I believe it links to the FSX airport database, so requires FSX?

No great shakes either way, just wondering!

Thanks,

Thanks for the pointers John.

Can anyone tell me, does Plan-G have to be installed on a PC that has FSX on it?

Ideally, I would rather install it on a second PC (non-networked), rather than my main FSX PC. But I believe it links to the FSX airport database, so requires FSX?

No great shakes either way, just wondering!

Thanks,

Yes, it needs to link to FSX to build it's own database from the FSX database.  I've got FSX installed on a second PC as well, just so that I can run Plan-G on the second PC.  If I need the flight plan in FSX I just transfer the file to the PC I fly on and put it in the Flight Simulator X Files folder.

Now if only I can find out how transfer the flight plan to FSX it would save a little more time setting up the flight.  I wonder, wonder,.... :-\ ;);D

John

Simple.  Just save it as an FSX flight plan and it will be there for you to open and load in FSX the same way you would any FSX flight plan.  Comes up on a GPS the same as any FSX flight plan would (if you want to be lazy and not actually navigate, that is ;) )

I was pulling my hair out, what little there is, trying to figure out why none of my 3rd party scenery icao's were showing up in Plan-G. Tim pointed me to the error. I was using the scenery config file in the main FSX folder instead of the one in Program Data/MIcrosoft/FSX.

Thanks Graham and I am lazy but I only properly navigated by GPS for the first time the other day only because I had a new 'plane and found the auto pilot had a button to press I'd never pressed before and of it went on the GPS course! ;);D

I had a flight on Plan G yesterday but couldn't see the 'save' button!  I really must read the manual a bit more.  I usually print manuals but was mean when I realised how much ink and paper 75 pages would use up! :-[    I suppose I'll have to do it. :-\ :(::)

John

Hi Patrick, I tend to like to go on the principal of 'each to their own'.

Me too. I just had the impression that there were some preconceptions at work here, without actually having tried the program. If you have actually tried it and you didn't like it it's a completely different story of course. ;)

I have been using Plan-G for a few weeks now and can't believe how good a tool it is to use while flying (for me it has replaced FSWidgets G-Map). It is especilly good when you turn connect on and follow your track of the current flight (BTW make sure you connect after you have loaded a flight and ready to fly, otherwise Plan-G tends to CTD for me).

Roger, re Google Earth. I am always amazed by it. But there is one feature that is especially useful for f-simmers. If you have not tried, just go to a field in PNW (Ranger Creek 21W is a good choice) and zoom down to about 5Km high, then hold down the centre wheel button on your mouse and drag it slowly towards you. Then rotate the compass rose in the top right hand corner.  This is the REAL power of the current version of GE. (p.s. I'm not affiliated in any way, just a thankful user).

cheers....

Plan-G really is excellent!

I did find one little flaw with it but if you know about it you can easily work round it.  If you create user waypoints it calculates the MagVar correctly.  BUT, if you save the flight plan, shut down Plan-G, then start it again and reopen the flight plan, the MagVar is NOT calculated on the bearings from the user waypoints.  It fooled me until I realised what was going on :)  I've posted about this on the Plan-G forum, so maybe Tim will come up with a fix (excuse the pun ;) )

It wasn't that simple Graham!

Even with the help of the manual, it's taken me until now to get the hang of making a flight plan that'll come up in FSX! ::):-[:(

I hasten to add that it wasn't the fault of the manual or Plan G.  It just takes a time for me to find my way round the controls on this sort of thing!  I'm a bit thick really as Tim well knows! ;);D

Anyway, if your watching Tim, ok, I accept I wasted my money buying the maps.  I'm not sure I'll ever use a paper map again.  And there's me been buying road maps of everywhere I fly and marking them up with the airports!

And David.  How are you getting on with it?  I bet being bright you cottoned on to it straight away!

Anyway, thank you all for your encouragement and a really big thank you to Tim for Plan G....oh,  and thanks to me as well for bothering to ask what it was! ;D

John

Anyway, if your watching Tim, ok, I accept I wasted my money buying the maps.  I'm not sure I'll ever use a paper map again. 

As a confirmed mapaholic, I firmly believe you can't have too many maps!  ;D

I have taken Holger's text list of Airports and re-vamped them in OpenOffice Calc so it is now possible to view the Airports by the original State/Provence order as well as by ICAO code and by Airport Name.

I thought this might be of use to others... Can a moderator please inform me how I can provide (attach) this file. Cheers

Archived