Welshpool EGCW no runway and apron polygons

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have that particular airport, but I suspect this can be related to the issue reported in the 11S thread.

See my post here. Is it possible that the polygons are there, but more transparent than in v4? If that's the case, we'll need to wait and see what Mischa comes up with -- perhaps this is an easy fix that can be applied to the other affected airports.

I don't think it has, though... Larry has clearly confirmed that the manner in which ground polygons are blended into terrain has changed in v5, so let's see what Misha says.

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

The airport runway looks the same in FSX, P3D v4 and P3D v5.

No it doesn't Nick.

Compare this V4 shot with the one I posted earlier. It looks indeed very similar to TymK's problem.

2019-12-24_16-49-27-115.thumb.jpg.d40ec89b6780a6d264398ec744dadd5b.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

It depends upon the detail1.bmp file that is in use.

I'm afraid we're running in circles here, but... no, it should not.

The problem is that with correct layering/blending, the runway polygon should completely obscure the underlying ortho AND the detail1.bmp that is applied to it. P3D v5 has changed that (as confirmed by Larry R.), which is the reason why the ortho and detail1.bmp show through. Once again, this should not happen and in fact (as shown by various pre-v5 shots) did not happen in FSX and in P3D up to and including v4.5.

EDIT: Some old AU airports and the freeware KHQM did not use separate polygons (I think KHQM has a runway poly, but taxiways use only the main ortho and detail1.bmp shows there, but, once again, this was only the case with some of the earliest products).

Nope, not any longer, but I flew extensively from 11S and the issue was not there. As for Welshpool, here's an example of a flight in FSX which shows that none of the bleed-through seen in P3D v5 occurred in that version:

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

It depends upon the detail1.bmp file that is in use.

Not for Welshpool. It has it's own runway polygon. We indeed are running in circles.

If you say the taxi lanes of Bowerman or Tamworth, then yes, that depends on detail1.bmp.

Please Nick, don't tell me that you can't see the difference between a PR underground and a ground poly. :huh:

Cheers,

Ben.

I think that all I am trying to point out is that even in FSX, the ground polygon runway does not exclude the detail1.bmp file.

I am not arguing that P3D v5 is not different to FSX and I am not referring to problems at either 11S, 0S9 or "Larry's advice"

about P3D v5, none of which are in question.

These images are all from a new installation of EGCW and in FSX.

All of them will enlarge when clicked.

There are four ground polygons, in the image below, one can see the different ways in which FSX is displaying them.

Here we have the "04" polygon, which shows as rough tarmac.

The 04 to 22 polygon also has a paler grey tarmac texture but the Drzewiecki Design Grass Detail1.bmp file is also evident.

The grass, of course looks like grass, as intended.

1.jpg

This is the 04 to 22 GP and if you look closely, you can see the tufts of the Drzewiecki Design Grass in the speckled grey of the Tarmac texture.

3.jpg

This is the 04 GP and you cannot see any evidence of the Drzewiecki Design Grass Detail1.bmp

5.jpg

Finally, this is the apron, also a GP and yet, the grass texture is still visible.

4.jpg

So I am simply wondering if this is in fact a different problem.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to get these shots, now I see why you focused on detail1.bmp in this case. It appears there may have been some transparency / bleed-through in both FSX and past P3D versions, just not as pronounced as in v5, which is why it went largely unnoticed.

This may well be the case with 11S, too, but let's wait and see what Misha comes up with, perhaps it's an easy fix...

Cheers,

Tym

Archived