SOCAL SAN DIEGO AUTOGEN

Hello,

I flew into San Diego from Los Angeles and right away noticed a lack of autogen in the city of San Diego. Landing RWY 27 in San Diego is one where you land right next to the city and it's important that the city looks full when landing to get the real effect. Previously I was using Forkboys US Orthophotos with overlays from https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36327-us-orthophotos/. Hwre is the description for his California scenery:

California v5
Other Notes: US-Mexico border region and Vandenberg AFB region uses ZL14 imagery from Sentinel-2.

I am attaching a comparison photo of Orbx vs. Forkboys Orthophoto scenery's in San Diego. There is a good difference less city building autogen in your Orbx scenery than his. Can there be any explanation for this or possibly a fix to fill in the city? Otherwise Orbx's great detail to the football and baseball stadiums and other land textures are by far the best. I am just asking for possibly more buildings in and around San Diego. I am also attaching my .ini file so you can see I have ALL Orbx files in order and above any other overlay or orthoscenery. Also showing a picture of the real San Diego as well for comparison. Thank you.

David Bruce

SanDiego2.jpg

scenery_packs.ini

Real San Diego.jpg

@Tony Wroblewski Thank you both for replying. I am running on High Objects (One notch down from Max) for both images I presented you for your scenery vs. Forkboys. Am I correct that I ave all of your scenery placed correctly in my .ini file as well? Let me know if there is anything I can do or you may be able to do to help me. I appreciate the work Orbx does for our community. I am just looking for help not bashing at all. I'd prefer your scenery over any others of course.

@Tony Wroblewski Ok I will load up with Max settings in KSAN with Orbx SOCAL and see what it does. But yes both those pictures are using HIGH settings. Forkboy does come with overlays as well. I have a yOrthooverlays folder above his Ortho4xp files to utilize the overlays. Same thing with Vstates from vertical simulations. I'll report back with a photo. Thank you

@Tony Wroblewski I loaded up at KSAN and changed my settings of Number of objects from High to Max and still no change. Attaching the photo of the San Diego City again with Max objects and of my graphics settings.I did run a test and disable all of the yorth4xp overlays and the California ortho4xp just to see if it helps and I get the same results. But when I disable Orbx SOCAL and use the others I get a better filled city. Just to let you know my troubleshooting results.

SanDiego3.jpg

SanDiego4settings.jpg

SanDiego4.jpg

@Tony Wroblewski Ok I appreciate you taking the time to look at my situation and possibly put in a fix. May I ask one last question. I own and have installed as you can see in my .ini fle NORCAL scenery HD as well. It was my first purchase from Orbx. When I downloaded SOCAL and Florida yesterday I see in Orbx central that there is not a green check mark like with Florida and SOCAL. Rather a grey unfilled circle. When I click o nit, it asks if I want to install it. Is there a reason why this is? I am also using the new SAM Suite app for SAM jet ways, it shoes the same way.

ORBX Central.jpg

8 minutes ago, bruced39 said:

@Tony Wroblewski Ok I appreciate you taking the time to look at my situation and possibly put in a fix. May I ask one last question. I own and have installed as you can see in my .ini fle NORCAL scenery HD as well. It was my first purchase from Orbx. When I downloaded SOCAL and Florida yesterday I see in Orbx central that there is not a green check mark like with Florida and SOCAL. Rather a grey unfilled circle. When I click o nit, it asks if I want to install it. Is there a reason why this is? I am also using the new SAM Suite app for SAM jet ways, it shoes the same way.

ORBX Central.jpg

Have you moved the addon since initial installation? If it is moved to another location then Central will likely see it as not installed. Just a suggestion but Ben will be able to answer.

26 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Have you moved the addon since initial installation? If it is moved to another location then Central will likely see it as not installed. Just a suggestion but Ben will be able to answer.

No I have not moved it since installing back in November. It's always been on my Scenery drive whee I have installed Florida & SOCAL. I will wait for @Ben McClintock to advise on this and let me know what I should do to resolve this. And thanks again for taking the time to look into my KSAN suggestion on the city.

@Tony Wroblewski @Ben McClintock I ended up just clicking install in the NORCAL region in Central and it scanned the files and quickly said all installed and the green check box showed up. So as far as that goes I am all set. Keep me posted if you find any changes to San Diego. BTW when you load KSAN in XP11 on your end do you get a better filled city?

On 5/8/2020 at 4:10 PM, bruced39 said:

Hello,

I flew into San Diego from Los Angeles and right away noticed a lack of autogen in the city of San Diego. Landing RWY 27 in San Diego is one where you land right next to the city and it's important that the city looks full when landing to get the real effect. Previously I was using Forkboys US Orthophotos with overlays from https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36327-us-orthophotos/. Hwre is the description for his California scenery:

Real San Diego.jpg

@Jon Clarke @Tony Wroblewski

I too noticed this.  I am a GA pilot in SoCal IRL, and found the San Diego downtown area lacking somewhat.  The building density + proximity to RWY27 is as striking in person as it looks in the photos.  L.A.  Looks great though!

While investigating the missing buildings issue I used xOrganizer to disable the MisterX6 KSAN...It re-ordered my scenery_packs.ini, resulting in the loss of ALL custom buildings in TrueEarth.  Therefore it's worth noting that xOrganizer will screw up the layer order by sending Orbx_A_US_SoCal_TE_Custom to the bottom (although that does not have to do with these missing buildings).  It sees that item as "unsolved" and will move it unless you sort it into the "Libraries" folder with its two mates.  You need the following order:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_US_SoCal_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_US_SoCal_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_SoCal_TE_Orthos/

This may have been identified elsewhere in the forum, but this is my first TE region.  I've been using xOrganizer for years without issue, so it was a bit of a surprise.

10 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

KSAN and area - my favourite US city!

Xaviation has this:  https://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/icarus-simulations-san-diego-ksan-p-140

It's pretty good and has great detail. I don't yet have Orbx SoCal but I wonder if this is the solution to the posted problem?

Actually that x-aviation KSAN doesn't look very good (based on their pics) as compared to the real cityscape and airport (being a SoCal pilot). However, I have found CaptChris' KSAN freeware to be about the most accurate and thorough. https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/57437-ksan-san-diego-intl-airport/&page=7

I did last night purchase this new Orbx TE SoCal and it does seem to work with the Captnchris KSAN as much as I can tell so far in some limited chopper flying. Also not seeing bumpy runways from initial inspection.

I must say that I did miss seeing much of any downtown, and understand what Tony has said. Hopefully that fix will come soon since right now downtown SD looks a bit like a post war version of SD. That said, it was nice to see that the Del is now there, the Marriott Marina Hotel, Civic Center, Fashion Valley Mall, etc., so this is a great improvement over the basic z_orth_california and Captnchris KSAN sceneries. 

Also noticed that at San Pedro Port in LA there are virtually no ships (commercial), which is VERY strange looking for what is a congested commercial shipping port (and as compared to Southhampton, et al in TE GB South). And as noted in another thread, Marina del Ray is a ghost town. At what is always a 99.9% filled marina! 

I have noticed that it does now take forever to load x-plane since adding the TE SoCal. Much, much longer than when flying out of UK airports like London with TE GB South. Not sure why.

Came up with a temp fix by editing the Earth nav data/apt.dat file by adding a 1300 flatten 1 near the top.

I
1000 Generated by WorldEditor 2.0.0r3

1     17 1 0 KSAN San Diego Intl
1302 city San Diego
1302 flatten 1
1302 country United States
1302 datum_lat 32.733555556
1302 datum_lon -117.189666667

That did introduce a problem with missing center striping in a section of the runway, but at least the airport is now usable. Perhaps someone knows how to fix the "foggy" patch???? Beyond my skillset. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 7.00.17 PM.jpg

Found a bit of a fix/improvement:

If you look at the next line in the apt.dat, which is

100 62.00 15 0 0.00 1 0 0 09  32.73712432 -117.20436304  313    0 0 10 1 0 27  32.72999968 -117.17497910  555    0 0 10 1 0

62 is the elevation of the field and is what it gets flattened at; change it to 65 to read

100 65.00 15 0 0.00 1 0 0 09  32.73712432 -117.20436304  313    0 0 10 1 0 27  32.72999968 -117.17497910  555    0 0 10 1 0

@bruced39

Or anyone else reading this, can you please compare your San Diego to my shot below:

1055857510_Screenshot2020-05-13at18_51_42.thumb.jpg.75b9e1c4987ee0201670d3be707165c0.jpg

I can see many of our POIs are absent in your shots, or in fact completely different. Also, in your shots you have a cruise ship and we don't, which makes me think you're seeing another scenery and not ours. If you have any other scenery for the area (e.g. A payware San Diego), please disable it and tell me our POIs come back. I presume whichever scenery it is, it's excluding our city objects for their own

Edit: I'm presuming it's this package https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/57437-ksan-san-diego-intl-airport/

1 hour ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

@bruced39

Or anyone else reading this, can you please compare your San Diego to my shot below:

1055857510_Screenshot2020-05-13at18_51_42.thumb.jpg.75b9e1c4987ee0201670d3be707165c0.jpg

I can see many of our POIs are absent in your shots, or in fact completely different. Also, in your shots you have a cruise ship and we don't, which makes me think you're seeing another scenery and not ours. If you have any other scenery for the area (e.g. A payware San Diego), please disable it and tell me our POIs come back. I presume whichever scenery it is, it's excluding our city objects for their own

Edit: I'm presuming it's this package https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/57437-ksan-san-diego-intl-airport/

I disabled that same scenery that you listed in the link which I was using and this is the same result with it disabled.

San Diego.jpg

Not exactly the same result, I can at least see now that our POIs have come back, but the building heights aren't working. I'll get a patch out to fix that very soon, but there is nothing I can do about that third-party scenery. You can probably get round it by tweaking your scenery order and making sure "Orbx_A_US_SoCal_Custom" is above this in priority.

5 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Not exactly the same result, I can at least see now that our POIs have come back, but the building heights aren't working. I'll get a patch out to fix that very soon, but there is nothing I can do about that third-party scenery. You can probably get round it by tweaking your scenery order and making sure "Orbx_A_US_SoCal_Custom" is above this in priority.

In-case you want to see my order as it is in that picture here is my .ini file. Thank you for your help.  Is there anything you can dowith the dips in the runway at KSAN as well as others have noticed? Keep me posted if you need me to try anything else. I even disabled my LAX and California Mesh and orthophoto's as you will see

scenery_packs.ini

I also use SFD Global  which has an autogen folder with it that is suppose to enhance the xplane default autogen. Could that be also a problem. I may take the SOCAL Custom and make it above everything near the top to see if it makes a difference.

**UPDATE: Putting Orbx_A_US_SoCal_Custom closer to the top above even SFD GLobal folder did not change the buildings. FYI ***

No, SFD Global won't effect it. From what I can see, there are two problems:

1) This freeware scenery has large exclusions that block out most of our city and POIs. This also explains another bug from another user who said most of our POIs had no night textures

2) For some unknown reason, many of the buildings are coming up flat in TE SoCal. This is likely a packaging error, and I'll submit a patch along with the airport fixes asap.

It should look more like this:

Cessna_172SP_-_2020-05-13_11_03_20.thumb.jpg.7f17684fd5999a01fae52af51ab4a777.jpg

I think someone else sent a message to the developer of San Diego about the issue of the runways and city/ships.

As of now  I don’t think he has acknowledged the issues. Hopefully that will change since his version of San Diego is beautiful 

Archived