Moving XP11 incl Orbx sceneries to another drive

wolfko

I would like to move my complete XP11 installation to another drive. Since the XP file structure is quite simple copy/paste will do it for XP itself and my add-on planes (for these I will probably be asked to input the registration numbers again). But how about Orbx sceneries? Will it work if I leave them in the custom scenery folder and include them in the one copying process and then separately copy/paste the Orbx folder which is outside XP11? Or is there an option in Orbx Central which I can use? Or do I have to go the unwelcome way of uninstalling and installing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi wolfko - I'm sure you will get a response soon. It's just that under the present circumstances, they may be a bit short staffed and also are very busy trying to sort out soon to be released products. They may need time to come up with a solution to your problem, but it might take a few more days for them to respond.

I'm looking at a similar problem to you, although mine is an easier solution. I'm looking to add another external hard drive (3 or 4Tb maybe) to cope with future addon sceneries. I'm ok at the moment with about 50% remaining on my 'C' drive and about 65% remaining on my 'D' drive. but with these TE sceneries arriving, those drives will soon be filled up, hence the need for added drive/s.

I can't really help you with your problem as I haven't needed to do something like that. Hope you get sorted soon - good luck!

Hello Wolfgang,

if you have installed all your Orbx products into the X Plane 11 Custom Scenery folder,

then you can indeed copy and paste the entire Orbx content into the Custom Scenery folder

of another installation.

Once you have run that installation once, Orbx Central should recognise it and show all

your products as installed.

If you had installed all your Orbx scenery into an Orbx Central Library, then you could have

moved your X plane 11 installation, run it once to record the new location and then opened

Orbx Central and run Sync Simulator.

If you had asked your support question in the X Plane 11 support forum, I am sure that Jon

would have seen it and answered it promptly, as he does for all X Plane 11 support requests

that are posted into the X Plane 11 support forum.

Mr. Cooper: I am a new customer of Orbx and feel I made errors in my installation.  I Have been operating with my custom scenery on an external drive (d:) When asked to install, I had to create an unused directory on the d: drive but it doesn't appear I'm seeing any of the spectacular scenery.  I have attached screenshots of my directory tree, and need some help.  Looking to avoid an entire reinstall of x-plane and all my scenery.  Please note: I have freeware Ortho scenery installed also, but according to my scenery pak .ini file the Orbx was "downstream" of that. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

My Custom Scenery folder is linked from my c: drive to my d: drive.  The Orbx folder is not within that Custom Scenery Folder.  I did run sync simulator and it said sim was synced, but no difference in scenery dynamics.  I think I'm only seeing the default X-plane San Francisco scenery.  I tried dragging the Orbx folder into the Custom Scenery folder (not sure if that's appropriate), and still no change.  I then moved the Orbx folder back.  Thoughts/adivice appreciated.  

:)

Your images suggest that you have created an Orbx Central Library and named it D:\Orbx.

They also seem to suggest that you did not do this with the Orbx XP Libraries.

Did you check to see if there are links in your Custom Scenery folder?

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Wolfgang,

if you have installed all your Orbx products into the X Plane 11 Custom Scenery folder,

then you can indeed copy and paste the entire Orbx content into the Custom Scenery folder

of another installation.

Once you have run that installation once, Orbx Central should recognise it and show all

your products as installed.

If you had installed all your Orbx scenery into an Orbx Central Library, then you could have

moved your X plane 11 installation, run it once to record the new location and then opened

Orbx Central and run Sync Simulator.

If you had asked your support question in the X Plane 11 support forum, I am sure that Jon

would have seen it and answered it promptly, as he does for all X Plane 11 support requests

that are posted into the X Plane 11 support forum.

Thank you Nick, I'll give this a try later.

But honestly, I don't see this as a support question. I have only asked for an advice. I would ask for support, if an Orbx product is faulty not working properly, which is not the case here. This forum is full of similar questions regarding FSX or P3D. And the people asking these questions are never referred to the FSX/P3D support forums, they will get the answer here. If I understand it wrongly and this forum is only for FSX/P3D then my appologies. But then I will ask Orbx to rename this frum into FSX/P3D General Discussion forum.

Hello,

to me, a support question is one that asks for how to either solve a problem or achieve a particular aim with a product.

I think that yours falls into the second category.

I have also revised the "Discussion" forums, so that customers have somewhere to discuss specific simulators, when they

do not have a support request.

General discussion topics would be those that do not ask for advice or action  but simply do as the forum description states:

Please use this forum to discuss any topic related to Orbx's products or plans, field general questions to the Orbx team,

and also to discuss flight simulation, aviation and flying in general.

Customers can and will post topics wherever they wish but if they can be posted first into the appropriate forum, there is an

increased likelihood of the answer being prompt and informed.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

to me, a support question is one that asks for how to either solve a problem or achieve a particular aim with a product.

I think that yours falls into the second category.

I have also revised the "Discussion" forums, so that customers have somewhere to discuss specific simulators, when they

do not have a support request.

General discussion topics would be those that do not ask for advice or action  but simply do as the forum description states:

Customers can and will post topics wherever they wish but if they can be posted first into the appropriate forum, there is an

increased likelihood of the answer being prompt and informed.

Okay, got it! :)

Archived