New PC advice please

The Badger

Hi

I'm after some advice about the set up of a new PC I'm thinking of buying.  I'm currently running P3D v4.5 on a laptop which manages OK with sliders in the middle but it's time for an upgrade for v5 so I'm looking at a new desktop.  I have an option to buy one of the following at a decent discount and I'm wondering what the consensus is about which one to go for.  The specs are fixed so i can't change any components before buying.  

Option 1

• Intel® Core™ i7-9700F (3 GHz, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 8 cores)
  • 16 GB HyperX® DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory;
  • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + 2 TB HDD storage
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 Super 8 GB GDDR6
  • 500W power supply

Option 2

• Intel Core i7-9700K Processor ( 3.60GHz 12MB )
  • 16.0GB PC4-21300 DDR4 UDIMM 2666MHz
  • 1TB 7200+256GB SSD PCIe
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super 8GB GDDR6
  • 500W power supply

Whilst option 1 has more storage (both SDD and HDD), option 2 has the 9700K processor whereas option 1 has the 9700F processor.  Both are the same price.  At the moment I'm thinking of going for option 2 on the basis that I could add another SDD relatively cheaply at some point but I didn't know if the difference in processor made much (if any difference) and I'm a little nervous about the limited storage to start with.

There is an Option 3 which is the same spec as Option 2  apart from the fact that it has a RTX2080 Super instead of the 2020 Super.  That one is £150 more expensive.

I'd very much appreciate a view on this as I have little idea about the merits of the various processors v the increased storage.

Thanks

Mike

9 minutes ago, The Badger said:

Hi

I'm after some advice about the set up of a new PC I'm thinking of buying.  I'm currently running P3D v4.5 on a laptop which manages OK with sliders in the middle but it's time for an upgrade for v5 so I'm looking at a new desktop.  I have an option to buy one of the following at a decent discount and I'm wondering what the consensus is about which one to go for.  The specs are fixed so i can't change any components before buying.  

Option 1

• Intel® Core™ i7-9700F (3 GHz, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 8 cores)
  • 16 GB HyperX® DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory;
  • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + 2 TB HDD storage
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 Super 8 GB GDDR6
  • 500W power supply

Option 2

• Intel Core i7-9700K Processor ( 3.60GHz 12MB )
  • 16.0GB PC4-21300 DDR4 UDIMM 2666MHz
  • 1TB 7200+256GB SSD PCIe
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super 8GB GDDR6
  • 500W power supply

Whilst option 1 has more storage (both SDD and HDD), option 2 has the 9700K processor whereas option 1 has the 9700F processor.  Both are the same price.  At the moment I'm thinking of going for option 2 on the basis that I could add another SDD relatively cheaply at some point but I didn't know if the difference in processor made much (if any difference) and I'm a little nervous about the limited storage to start with.

There is an Option 3 which is the same spec as Option 2  apart from the fact that it has a RTX2080 Super instead of the 2020 Super.  That one is £150 more expensive.

I'd very much appreciate a view on this as I have little idea about the merits of the various processors v the increased storage.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Take a look at this site in regards to comparing the 9700F to the 9700K http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/582/Intel_Core_i7_i7-9700F_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-9700K.html

In short, the 9700F uses less power, and has a lower operating frequency, whereas the 9700K has a higher operating frequency, and can be easily overclocked, but also uses more power. I personally would take the 9700K over the 9700F.

You are correct in thinking that you can easily add additional storage later on in the form of SSD's, HDD's or even another M.2 drive. There are so many adapters and options on ways to add external drives now days. 

I am sure others will add their input here too, so feel free to wait for more comments. 

Cheers!

Landon

I basically have a mix of the two options so I can't help you make a choice except to say I have an Intel Core i7-9700KF (up to 4.9Ghz 12M LGA 1151Coffee Lake) and I am quite happy with it. I too have the RTX2070 Super with 8Gb, driving 4 1080 screens, but wonder how it is going to go with P3D v5 and later the new MSFS2020 when in the DX12 mode.

I went for an option of DDR 3200 RAM and let it run at that speed. Seems to help P3D v4.5.

Personally, I would worry about the 500W Power supply. Particularly if you later add other hardware. I recently added a 3GB spinning hard drive for system Backup and I knew my 650W power supply would not struggle. I also added another two sticks of 8GB 3200 RAM.

Have fun and try and take your time researching.

Ultimately, it is down to your preference on how you are going to spend your money.

Aussie

Archived