Move files from 'old' library to new library

Eric Bakker

Hi Nick and Mitchell,

Previously I had to install True Earth GB to a library on my HDD, because my SSD was too small.

Now I bought an additional SSD, and I want to move my orbx library from the HDD to this SSD.

Is there a way to do this without having to re-download a whopping 356GB worth of scenery?

Thanks,

Eric

Operating system:  Win10

Simulator:  XP-11

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

central.log

Hi Eric,

Yes, this is possible. There are instructions for this in the Central user guide:

Moving a library to another location
Moving a library is painless with Central and can be achieved in a few steps only:

1. Go to Settings > Libraries.
  2. Note the directory of the library you’d like to move.
  3. Remove the library that you would like to move (remember: this doesn’t delete the actual files).
  4. Close Central by right-clicking on the tray and selecting “quit”.
  5. Move the directory to the new location in your operating system. This step may take a while depending on your disk speed.
  6. Start Central again
  7. Open Settings, and then the Libraries page
  8. Press ‘Create New Library’
  9. Select the new library location, give it a name and then press ‘Save’.

Central will automatically scan the library for installed products, and then configure your simulators appropriately. 

Hello Eric,

I asked the same question a couple of days ago. Michell and Doug supplied the same advice.

I followed the instructions yesterday and the process worked well.

Cutting and pasting the folder on to the other SSD took me about 30 minutes of transfer time. The new Central 4 found it OK when I told it to create a new Library.

Seems to work well.

Aussie

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the instructions in the guide.  It appears that after correctly moving the library to a new PC and having Orbx Central  v4.1.1 scan and find it I still have to install everything, mind you some packs install quicker than others. 

I have a new PC, copied the contents of the Orbx Library - Global, Regions, Airports & Other from Users\User Name\Orbx Library\P3D v4 over from the old PC to the new one and then placed the contents into Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder on the new PC.  Started Orbx Central v4.1.1 and pressed "Create a new library" which found the library and then inserted the entries into the scenery.cfg.

I opened Orbx Central v4.1.1 to find that none of the products were installed, the circles were grey indicating that I owned them but had to install which I proceeded to do each time selecting the Orbx Library.  Below are the instructions and the steps that I performed, did I do something wrong?

1. Go to Settings > Libraries. - Done
  2. Note the directory of the library you’d like to move. - Done
  3. Remove the library that you would like to move (remember: this doesn’t delete the actual files). - Done
  4. Close Central by right-clicking on the tray and selecting “quit”. - Done
  5. Move the directory to the new location in your operating system. This step may take a while depending on your disk speed. - Moved to new PC
  6. Start Central again - Done
  7. Open Settings, and then the Libraries page - Done
  8. Press ‘Create New Library’ - Done (Created in: Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-Ons)
  9. Select the new library location, give it a name and then press ‘Save’. - Done

Central will automatically scan the library for installed products, and then configure your simulators appropriately. - Configure?  It added the Orbx folder locations into scenery.cfg but none of the products were installed.  I must have missed something.

Looking forward to your comments.

Robert

Something curios there. My transfer went very smoothly on my new PC. All packages were promptly located and no fresh downloads?

Are you sure you created the library, at the same folder level as before? Not at a higher or lower level?

In my case, at step 5: I simply 'Cut' the existing '\Orbx Library' (and all it's sub directories) and then 'Paste'd into my D: drive's root directory. (ie became D:\Orbx Library\) about 30 minutes later it was on the new drive.

When I stepped through to step 8, all I had to do was locate D:\Orbx Library\ and click Save. I then closed Orbx Central, opened P3D and everything was there (you do have to click accept on each add-in package while P3D is loading)

Are you sure your 'Documents' folder is on your new drive and not located back on your old C: drive?

2 hours ago, maxam said:

I have a new PC, copied the contents of the Orbx Library - Global, Regions, Airports & Other from Users\User Name\Orbx Library\P3D v4 over from the old PC to the new one and then placed the contents into Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder on the new PC.  Started Orbx Central v4.1.1 and pressed "Create a new library" which found the library and then inserted the entries into the scenery.cfg.

Orbx Central will expect the addons to be within a p3dv4 folder inside the library location. This is because a library can be used for both XP11 and P3Dv4.

If you make a new folder called p3dv4 within that folder Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\p3dv4, move the Orbx products into that folder and then reboot Orbx Central, it'll pick them up again.

Alternatively if you wish to organize it a bit more, you can create a new library in that folder with the path of Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx and then move your products into Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx\p3dv4

Hello Ausie123 and Mitchell,

Thank you for your help.  I am not sure what happened, I did press Save in Orbx Central and it read the library contents which remain in Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx Library\p3dv4

I then pressed Synch Simulator and the sim took over 3 minutes to load after it has taken less than 30 seconds, it is a new PC lol. 

Below is a screen shot of the add on organizer, I must have missed something because there appears to be duplicates of: 

Orbx!OPENLC_EUROPE1

Orbx!OPENLC_NAMERICA1

and possibly:

Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE as there appears to be (1),(2),(3)

Referring to the pic, is it safe to remove the EUROPE1(2) and NAMERICA1(2) entries and leave only 1 of the 3 Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE?

Thank you very much for your help.

Robert

Orbx Entries.png

Hi Robert,

Those entries are normal. There is a section in the user guide describing them:

I see duplicate Orbx entries with numbers in their title (e.g Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (2))
This is normal to see when installing certain products into libraries. When installed into the simulator, some products (like openLC) would've installed some of their files into the same folder as other products. When installed into a library, all the products are split apart into self-contained packages. Due to this, each product will have its own copy of those folders. Orbx Central handles these automatically and this is why you will see numbers after some entries.

Hello Mitchell,

Okay, thank you.  I would really love to get to the bottom of why the transfer did not go as smoothly as I had predicted or hoped for, I do not have much time right now as I am in the midst of reinstalling everything on the new computer.  I do not think there are any issues, sim loads up in under 30 seconds and the flight less than 40 seconds so I think I am OK there but this will be in the back of my mind for the next few days.  Let's see what happens after I have installed all my add-on airports and aircraft.

I appreciate your help.

Robert 

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

I have a question

My one drive is now full. I have good space on another as well.

Rather then buying a bigger drive that costs money. Is there a way that i can have my libraries read from 2 destinations?

For example

Scenery to read of the G: drive

Airports to read of C: drive

Is this possible?

I have created 2x libraries in Orbx but does not seem to work

Seems like I can only choose one of the 2

Orbx_Central_2020_07_02_08_38_18.png

Hi,

I have been able to migrate my Orbx libraries to a seperate folder using the migrate function in Central. Everything has been migrated to this folder, except for the 'GLOBAL BASE PACK', which still appears in my 'old' folder. Pressing the 'Migrate' button doesn't seem to do anything and the path remains in the old location.

To transfer the Base pack manually (Cut and Paste job?) what am I needing to look at? having looked through the old location folder, nothing indicates the 'Base' pack by name?

The Old folder still contains 22.7Gb of data, the new one around 91Gb.

Help please.

thanks

Phil

25 minutes ago, CapBiggles said:

Hi,

I have been able to migrate my Orbx libraries to a seperate folder using the migrate function in Central. Everything has been migrated to this folder, except for the 'GLOBAL BASE PACK', which still appears in my 'old' folder. Pressing the 'Migrate' button doesn't seem to do anything and the path remains in the old location.

To transfer the Base pack manually (Cut and Paste job?) what am I needing to look at? having looked through the old location folder, nothing indicates the 'Base' pack by name?

The Old folder still contains 22.7Gb of data, the new one around 91Gb.

Help please.

thanks

Phil

Global base pack is different, it replaces the core textures in the sim, so it can't be migrated.  You don't need to do anything with it.

15 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Global base pack is different, it replaces the core textures in the sim, so it can't be migrated.  You don't need to do anything with it.

thanks for this info. What is still occupying 22Gb of data in this old folder then? Central is indicating all of my Orbx installs has been migrated to the designated special new folder. Can the old folder location be deleted? And see what happens, perhaps?

just checked folder size in the old install folder. It's the FTX_OLC folder which has the 22Gb.

This folder has: OLC_AA; OLC_EU1; OLC_NA_Lights; OLC_NA1; OLC_NA2;OLC_SA1

What do I do with these? any ideas?

My guess is it's previous versions of the scenery left behind maybe from FTX Central days.

If you have those folders within the scenery folders in the various products in your new library (use Search to confirm) it's highly likely.

You can cut and paste the whole folder to a location outside the sim and the library and run P3D.  If there are no warnings and the scenery in your Landclass areas looks OK, my bet would be you can delete the folder.

EDIT.  I have a single OLC_AA folder in my FTX_OLC with a couple of Scenery files and 650MB of textures, I don't know if it's needed or if it's a leftover folder, but if you have that folder it might be worth leaving it there while we wait and see if a dev can answer your question more thoroughly.

• 2 months later...

Shouldn't step 8 above say press Scan for Libraries?  I did the create new library option and it kept trying to put the library back where it was even though it was changed in settings. So I deleted the library in settings and this time selected scan for libraries, it found it, and then it all worked properly.

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

The topic is out of date and the guide has been updated in the interim.

There remains a problem with the scan for libraries function, of which the

developers are aware but the fix so far applies only to X Plane 11 libraries.

I'll close the topic, to avoid any further confusion.

Archived