computer voltage supply requirements for overclocking to 4 gig??

timmo32

It also depends on your brand of PSU... well made PSUs like Antec Trupower tend to deliver more of their rated power than cheapies.  For instance I have a 400W Antec running a rig that the calculator says I need 750W minimum for.

hi guys just want to know wat power supply i need to overclock my pc to 4 gig,now i have 750 watt supply is that enough?my specs are in my signator cheers guys.

Yes, 750 is enough.

Consider that you will probably be raising your voltages by maybe a volt or two volts... you shouldn't have an issue.

awesome guys thanks for the replys my computer keeps restting on start up ,and it was overclocked and it also reset back to or close to stock speed ,any ideas ,extra ram was also installed ?cheers.

It will restart if the system is unstable from the overclock.

Do a Google search for overclocking your processor to get an idea what other people have been able to use for voltages and clock settings.

And most importantly, TAKE YOUR TIME! You don't want to fry something in your goal for 4Ghz.

Good luck,

Phil

The most common causes for system restart and /or blue screen crashes is too much overclock on the system bus (FSB), forcing the RAM to opperate over spec, and/or the CPU overheating from the overclock.

Solutions are to ensure you have powerful aftermarket cooling solutions in a well vented case, that is not tucked under a desk in an area where ambient heat will gather. Also during a CPU overclock be sure to keep the FSB within the operating limits of the RAM. The RAM will quickly let you know if you've gone too far (blue screen crashing/restarting etc)

Playing with voltages is the next step up in overclocking and is not something i would recommend. Done correctly you will achieve increased performance, but it WILL be at the expense of reduced component life. Done incorrectly results in instant component faliure. I just stick to playing with multipliers and FSB values to achieve an overclock.

Russ.

hey guys yep spot on ,my computer guy put an extra 4 gig of ram in ,which now makes ten in total in my system and it did not like that it was resetting itself,he finaly got the pc to work after a couple of figures were typed in ,im not sure wat he did tho ,well next step he attempted to overclock the system to 3.8 gig and done a load and heat test on the pc and it passed,and also applied heat paste between the cpu and the radiator unit sitting on top of the cpu unit all was well then it reset back to 3.2 gigs for some reason ,and some times it keeps resetting during start up ,and ive notice graphic proplems now dam it lol ,mainly at melbourne airport,second sreen black or missing scenery ,any ideas guys ?your feed back would be great thankyou.

Archived