Tamar Rail Bridge misaligned in TEGBS v2 P3Dv4

I just noted this problem. Brunel's rail bridge over the River Tamar in Saltash, Devon, England is significantly misaligned in TEGBS v2 for P3dv4 when compared to v1.1 which was correct.  In v1.1 the bridge was in perfect position but had an extra extrusion bridge overlaying it.   The v2 team removed that extra extrusion bridge but apparently had to remove and then reposition the rail bridg which is probably what caused the misalignment.  

I am acutely aware of the bridge alignment change in v2 becasue in v1.1, for my own use I excluded the bad extrusion bridge and also used small flattens at each end of the bridge to join the terrain with the bridge ends.  Now that I was able to temporarily fix the corrupted v2 mesh in that area (covered in another thread) I can see how badly the v2 Tamar Rail Brdige is aligned.  The picture below (from v1.1) shows you the proper placement of the Tamar Rail Bridge with the extra extrusion bridge excluded and my flatten at the end of the bridge (see  bottom left red arrow) to make a perfect join with the terrain.   

Brunel%20Bridge%20P3Dv4%20v1-1.jpg

The picture below is a picture from v2 which shows that the Tamar rail bridge is now too high and  rotated clockwise away from the roadway.  You can see how the pillars skew away from the ortho imagery imprint of the bridge as you get closer to the end of the bridge and that the bottoms of the bridge pillars are much higher out of the water than in v1.1.

Tamar%20Rail%20Bridge%20TEGBS%20P3DV4%20 

The picture below is an overhead view which does not contain my flatten but really shows the misalignemnt of the bridge on the x,y axis when compared to where the roadway/bridge image exists in the ortho imagery (see arrows for the road/bridge ortho image):

Tamar%20Rail%20Bridge%20Overhead%20View%

I have attached my flatten file so that (if Sascha wants) the team could use the flatten, which raise the terrain at each end of the bridge based on the v1.1 alignment, as a jig so that it would be quite simple to properly place the bridge on all three axes.  The flattens could then be removed from the finished product or left in...whatever Orbx wants.

The fix needs to be made since the v2 Tamar rail bridge ends are about 30 feet in the air above the roadway terrain (quite visible as you fly by on a low pass), the bridge supports look too high in the water and, most importantly the bridge is skewed clockwise from the ortho image as you fly overhead.

Thanks for your consideration,

Rod 

CVX_RJ_Brunel__Brdg_Elevation_Fix.BGL

Hi Nick,

No....If you look closely you will see that I am the one who opened and later commented on the
Clifton Bridge thread that you linked.  The pictures I took of v2 in this post on the Tamar bridge were with the v1 mesh subsituted for the corrupt v2 mesh.  Basically the mesh is not affecting it either way.  The Tamar Rail Bridge is just misaligned in its v2 placement.

Rod

I also think that the towers on the road bridge are not high enough. They look significantly shorter than the towers on the real bridge. If you check out a photo of the real bridge, you will note that the towers extend as far above the road deck as they do below. That is not the case with the ORBx version. Can this please be corrected?

Hello,

yes, I has spotted that you are the author of that topic as well.

You may be right but it seems a little bizarre that a developer would take a perfectly satisfactory model of a bridge and then 

amend it to no longer fit the scenery but that does seem to have happened.

I see that the toll covers on the road bridge have come out as terraced houses.

Thanks for the report I have added the topic to the list of things to do.

Hi Nick,

The Tamar Rail Bridge model object has not changed so the model has not been modified.  However, its placement in the scenery is what is incorrect.   It needs to be lowered and turned counter clockwise a bit. 

Rod

Archived