Airborne Buildings and Structures when flying into EGLC

I started this issue in another topic – “EGNX - building section in the sky!” but its subsequent evolution and a correction suggest it needs its own topic.

I have EGLC and TrueEarth South v2 in P3Dv4, and I am having a problem with airborne structures at EGLC. Starting a flight at EGLC, everything looks fine.  But when I fly into EGLC from elsewhere, there are lots of buildings and structure components in mid-air, as shown on the two attached screen shots. This is especially noticeable flying over the water approach onto RWY 09, on the south side. I had thought Global Buildings HD was the culprit but that has proved to be not the case.

I have the same problems if I use FTX England instead of True Earth South.

My test flight is from EGLL to EGLC in an Aerosoft Twin Otter. Using SimStarter, I have created a scenery config with only ORBx and geographically relevant P3D base sceneries, all other add-ons being turned off.

My TrueEarth sceneries are on a separate drive of their own, but the rest of my ORBx addons are in the ORBx default root library. I have re-installed EGLC, Global Buildings HD and the Orbx Libraries, verified TrueEarthSouth, there are no stray copies of EGLC and I think only one copy of ObjectFlow2, and I ran the simulator synchroniser.

When I take off from EGLC there are no airborne buildings, I fly towards Heathrow and when nearly there, turnaround and return to EGLC and everything is still normal, ie no airborne structures.  But if I take-off from somewhere else, eg EGLL, when I reach EGLC I have the airborne building structure problem again.

Nick, btw, the mast is still at the end of RWY09. For others, see attached photo.

I am now at a total loss, anyone have any ideas?

Nigel

Vancouver

eglc1.jpg

eglc3.jpg

eglc2.jpg

I have exactly the same problem at our FlightSim Club computer at the local seniors centre, which has the same ORBx scenery on it, and few other addon sceneries.

Any ORBx Gurus out there who can offer an opinion?

Nigel

ps why does the test in the title of my posting not show up in "bold" ?

Hello Nigel,

I cannot replicate this at all.

It could be that the PCs are overloaded by the time they have finished loading all of London

and that those are artifacts.

The mast is there in the product but apparently not in the real world.

Topic titles appear only in one font, thank goodness.

I have had this as well.  It happens when you start a flight outside the drawcall distance for the EGLC scenery (at a guess, 30 miles), and fly in to the airport.  A reset does fix but it is annoying.

Not sure what could be causing that but I suspect that the distance view mesh for England is extremely coarse or just plain wrong, and at the time the first drawcalls are made on these scenery items, they are sitting on coarse terrain that is set above the actual altitude... then the actual finer mesh is called but objects once given analtitude can't be changed just because the mesh underneath them changes.  

One suggestion for the developer might be to grab one of these structures and set the visibility distance or drawcall distance to a smaller figure and see if that makes a difference.

These aren't actually elevated buildings - rather they're a corruption of the model below. I only saw this once during development and it was cleared once I restarted.

It looks like the only models affected are PBR (though not all of them) so I'd guess that this is a shader or driver issue but I can't be more specific than that. I'd suggest and reinstall of the airport and/or a driver update.

Greg

12 hours ago, John Dow said:

It's been there since the first rc I think so verify won't do anything I imagine

Not verify, a reinstall.

This is a corruption of the existing model - the only thing I can think of that would cause it would be a graphics driver, hardware or VRAM issue.

My advice is to update your drivers, delete the shader cache and/or reinstall the airport.

Greg

Thx everyone for all that input, very informative. I tried deleting the shader cache, updated my video driver (turned out to be only a minor update), re-installed EGLC for the n’th time and did a reset just west of CanaryWharf – still artefacts upon arrival at EGLC.

From my own tests, it suggests the problem is with EGLC, I tried with FTX England and TrueEarth South and both result in artefacts at EGLC.  Strange that leaving EGLC with no artifacts and turning back just before Heathrow, no artefatcs at EGLC when landing.

Greg, it sounds like you are one of the designers?  It is superb scenery and a delight to fly in (sometimes?) and out of, particularly the approach to 09 over the water with the buildings on both sides. Its coupling with TrueEarth is quite stunning. It would be nice if the cause of the artefacts could be identified and resolved.  I have 8GB VRM.

Thx again

Nigel

• 6 months later...

Archived