What is up with the Arizona/California desert textures?

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

if a location can be given, the alternatives can be explored.

Thanks.

Looks like it is most of the Sonoran Desert (Southwestern United States specifically) that look this way. It resembles the Gobi desert in Mongolia more than the desert you would see in this region.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks, for someone who is not necessarily familiar with it, can you suggest a good airport to start from?

You could try anywhere in Arizona. Try Phoenix-Sky Harbor (KPHX), and fly out of the city a bit and you'll see what I am talking about.

Is it possible to list the coordinates of the OP's screenshot in post #1?  I would be interested in investigating that locality.  I occasionally fly out of KPHX and must confess that I'm not familiar with what the Sonoran desert should look like, and I'm sure not many people are either.  I will say, however, that flying out of KSEZ Sedona, the desert in the vicinity looks fine.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

26 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Is it possible to list the coordinates of the OP's screenshot in post #1?  I would be interested in investigating that locality.  I occasionally fly out of KPHX and must confess that I'm not familiar with what the Sonoran desert should look like, and I'm sure not many people are either.  I will say, however, that flying out of KSEZ Sedona, the desert in the vicinity looks fine.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

The original picture I posted was from another website detailing this issue, but the instructions on there were difficult to follow as I don't have Ultimate Terrain X or any other of those similar programs. Here is screen shot with coordinates from my sim if you wish to try it out. It is a different part of the AZ desert, but still has that similar look to it. Specifically the lush green patches and the pale desert sand. 

2020-1-13_13-55-56-515.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, Stewart Hobson said:

I likewise see what Nick sees.  Google Earth shows the desert colors to be shaded differently compared with those of Global Base.  Photoreal scenery would be a possible solution.

I suppose using more realistic colours would be the best solution for now.

Archived