EGOV "Snow" on Anglesey

Parts of Anglesey including EGOV Valley is covered in "snow", (attached screenshot).  I have all 3 True Earth GB installed and this is the first major fault I've come across, although the same fault has been reported on Northern Scotland island.  Having spent a long time trying to fix this, I can only assume it is a fault within the program, plenty of other places to fly so no big deal as far as i'm concerned, just annoying. Also there seems to be a lot of white fields in Wales which I have never noticed whilst touring.  Otherwise quite happy with True Earth.

Regards, Echofox

ScreenHunter 35.png

Just had a look at it and it looks all fine to me. Rwy01 starts in a rather sandy area near the coast, that's all.

Some fields in the area are indeed a bit grey/brown but this it due to the imagery that has most likely been taken in very late summer in this area. Nothing that can be done about that since it just shows what it actually looked like when the photos were taken (as with every photo realistic product).

Bests,

Sascha

Sasha, thank you for your reply, as you can see from the attached photos, there is a problem in this area. I have spent the weekend going through everything to try and find a solution but to no avail, this is in my opinion obviously a "program" fault somewhere.  In real life I am aware of the coast around Anglesey and many areas of the West coast of the UK having in the past flown over many times and unfortunately England does not have white sandy beaches, light to medium brown would be a better description ! I'm sure at some point this problem will be solved in an update, it really is no big deal to me, the Fylde coast where I live ( the sea is about 1000 yards away) is fairly well represented so no complaints.  Life isn't all perfect.

Regards,

Grant.

alpine systems eggd computer

EGOV rw01.jpg

EGOVrw01.jpg

Hi, thank you for your interest, after all these years of flight simming I have to admit, what is a shader add-on?  Just before I read your reply Id cut the Shader folder, placed it in my Desktop "DUMP" folder and let a new Shader folder install itself, everything works fine except the "snow" effect at EGOV is still there.   As I pointed out in my initial posting, there is, in my opinion a lot of white fields in Wales,  I can only imagine Welsh farmers use poly tunnels !  I will be in N.Wales later in the year, I'll check it out. I still think this is an Orbx problem, besides having UK scenery I have the whole of West USA States, Pacific Ffords and Alaska, none of which have given any problems, there again it could be a shader add-on ?

Kind regards

Echofox (Grant)

Shader add-ons re-process color values of a frame before it's sent to the screen, providing what many users believe to be a better looking image. "PTA" and "Tomato Shade" are popular ones. However, they can also produce undesirable effects that causes some developers to not recommend their use. In appearance related issues in P3D, it's common to see the advice to disable/delete the shader (term for shader add-on) to see if that resolves the reported issues. Many times it does.

Anyway, since you don't know what they are, and don't use one, that's clearly not what's causing the over-bright areas around the runway. That is to say that I think what you think is snow seems more likely to be a too-bright area. I only have this area in XP11, so I can't provide a comparison shot or validate what you see. What it does look like to me anyway is the lighter areas are far too light, which can also be caused by your monitor settings. I suggest for that you start with ensuring you're getting all 256 shades of black, which you or the standard monitor settings could be trying to compensate for by having your brightness too high so as to provide detail in dark areas. If you have an NVIDIA card, you can check to see that your black settings are correct by opening NVIDIA Control Panel (right click anywhere on your screen), then go to the screen shown in the attachment and ensure the "Output Dynamic Range" is set to "Full" instead of the default of "Limited". Then try adjusting the screen brightness as noted in this link to see if it helps.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.459eec092c3e1e71bdf3485024c02be8.jpg

I don't believe the OP has anything set incorrectly on their system.   I see the exact same thing in P3D.  It sounded to me like Sascha said that is the way it is and I would agree.   It is my observation that the P3D display of the ported ortho imagery from XP11 shows concrete/light tan colors as much more bleached out than XP11.   There has been discussions on the P3D boards about how P3D seems to overexpose ortho imagery

Rod

It's generally interesting how much different the same imagery looks between X Plane and Prepar3D. Personally I don't like the HDR feature in Prepar3D too much (pretty sure that's been active in the shot above) because it tends to overexpose some areas IMHO. But that shouldn't been an excuse for the imagery in the area. It's not perfect and in large scale photoreal sceneries there are always some areas that have not been taken at optimal time, weather and/or sunlight conditions.

Bests,

Sascha

I have spent some hours now experimenting with different settings, all to no avail. I have set NIVIDIA as recommended (thank you GS2) which does have a better effect but not with EGOV. As far as HDR is concerned, on or off, it has no effect on the "snow".  Although I am satisfied with many areas of scenery, it would seem looking at Forums there is a lot not right with Orbx, some of it may be due to the computer being under powered, however I have a 12 month old computer specially built for flight simming with no graphics issues. I still think this fault lies with Orbx, the same fault was reported on the Forum on January 2 by bruce e,  "EGBP with TE GB North, and hope there will be a fix. Thank you to GulfstreamTwo,  Rod, Doug and Sascha for your replies, I think the time has come to call a halt, taking up to much time.  All the best in 2020.

Grant (Echofox)

EGOV.jpg

Archived