Goodwood (EGHR) frame rate

Dawid Rbkw

Hi,

I've been able to tweak my settings and get decent frame rate, usually around 26-34 in TE GB South, except around London and Birmingham maybe. That's with not-too-fps-heavy GA aircraft. Even in Innsbruck, with the same settings, weather, aircraft etc. I still get good FPS. However, that's not the case with your Goodwood airfield. Every time I look at or fly toward the main area with the hangars and static planes, my frame rate drops to below 20. This can't be right considering the quality and size of your Innsbruck scenery.

What could possibly cause this ? I have recently reinstalled X-Plane and downloaded the most recent version of Goodwood via Orbx Central.

I'm on i3 8100, 16 Gb Ram, GTX 1060 6 Gb version and have my X-Plane on an SSD. 

• Doug Sawatzky changed the title to Goodwood (EGHR) frame rate

I will check this out as I don't recall this happening to me, but  have different PC specs.

What are your settings in XP especially graphics? Can you provide a pic of your settings please?

FYI there is a method of relieving some of the GPU load in TEGB South by changing the autogen from PBR autogent o the old less demanding autogen. This is not a loss in details or quantity of autogen, but a less demanding version.

In the TEGB South Overlay folder you will see 2 autogen folders. One is labelled as "autogen" and the other as autogen_old. Change the name of the current "autogen" folder to "autogen_PBR". Then rename the autogen_old folder to "autogen" (no quotation marks in all renaming moves) This will now use the old autogen which is less demanding, and will help a little in fps.

I have checked and cannot replicate the framerate loss you are experiencing. It's difficult to analyse because of the different PC specs we have. Once you attach a pic of your XP settings we might be able to see where we can improve things. It doesn't appear, in my case anyway, to be an issue with the airport specifically.

Hi Jon,

I'll give the non-PBR autogen a try but I guess it's not going to help with Goodwood as this is a custom airfield that uses its own buildings, right ? 

I took a few screenshots. The settings were the same for Goodwood and Innsbruck. Same aircraft, weather, FOV and everything else. 

It doesn't allow me to upload more than 1 screenshot in a post so I'm going to do it one by one.

Goodwood first: 

Edit: I can't upload any more screenshots even in another post. You might want to change this guys - it doesn't help.

At Innsbruck I was getting around 26-27. Settings: FHD, Visual effects: HDR, Texture quality: high, 4x SSAA + FXAA, Number of objects: max, reflections: minimal, draw shadows and parked aircraft both checked, FOV 55, no Vsync.

1377167689_goodwoodfps.thumb.png.3dd6e09b13468b85d00a75eca4c5f8a1.png

OK. We cannot really compare LOWI addon with Goodwood because Goodwood sits on top of a high demand addon, TEGB South vs either ortho4xp or default scenery.

The limit of fps in your case is caused by your GPU and your XP settings combination which is amplified in TEGB South which was not really optimised as much as some of the newer TE series. I can only make suggestions, and they are reduce your AA down at least a notch, disable Draw shadows and parked aircraft, and then test.

Regarding attaching pics. Yes unfortunately there is a restriction on the number MBs that can be accumulated in attachments, and is beyond my control. However, a much smaller picture in regard to MB/KB size can be produced by using the in built Microsoft tool called Snipping Tool, assuming you are using Windows. Save in jpg and then post results in greatly reduced size.

I've done some more testing, tried disabling the parked aircraft, lowering the AA to 2x, lowering the World Objects, but the only thing that helps and actually makes Goodwood playable is turning off scenery shadows. My frame rate went from <20 to >30.

So problem solved. Well, kind of because it makes me think something is wrong with the shadows at Goodwood. My FPS is good enough right next to the airport, and at the airport too but when not looking in the direction of the main parking area and buildings. Again, at Innsbruck disabling the shadows does improve the FPS too but the difference is nowhere near as big as at Goodwood. It would seem that the shadows specifically near the hangars at Goodwood are extremely FPS-hungry, regardless of how I tweak them with Advanced Rendering Options. 

Turning off the shadows also introduces weird shimmering effect to the grass/bushes, so it's not ideal really. 

Archived