any advice on fixing scenery going black or black square appearing??

timmo32

hi guys just wanted to know if there is fix or setting which stops black squares appearing,when you fly low over land, and appearing when aircraft lights are on ,it fixes it self in 5 to 10 seconds,and it happens mainly in melbourne and some defalt airports,or when other aircraft fly toward me,your help would be great ,thank you

Guest cirrusnature

Yeah wouldn't mind knowing what's causing this as well. It's actually very annoying. Prominent with landing lights & the VASI for me. Thanks for the post.

with a 1GB video card black squares in the scenery shouldn't be happening, try lowering the detail radius to medium when in heavy texture load areas such as photoreal airports like YMML.

As for the approach and VASI lighting, you can google or search at download sites for replacement halo.bmp files.  I replaced the default and ORBX halo bmps with a small one I found and a) it's more realistic to not see an approach light unless I look for it, and B) no more black squares when the airport comes into view.

Its in your FSX cfg but it's the default setting so that's what you're using if you haven't altered it.

However, some of us extend it to get a longer in focus look into the distance.  I do myself in some areas of the world.  Flying using the photo scenery in Great Britain for instance I have mine extended to 6.500000.  And in Europe to 8.000000

If you want to check go to 'C\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG'  You'll find it under [TERRAIN}

I use the default for Australia because some places, Melbourne for instance and some of the other more sophisticated airports, can result in black squares with my machine when the setting is higher.

And with the advent of the rolling or smoothing out that FTX has now introduced, the requirement for extending the LOD Radius is reduced.  Well, I think so anyway.

All the best

John

with a 1GB video card black squares in the scenery shouldn't be happening, try lowering the detail radius to medium when in heavy texture load areas such as photoreal airports like YMML.

As for the approach and VASI lighting, you can google or search at download sites for replacement halo.bmp files.  I replaced the default and ORBX halo bmps with a small one I found and a) it's more realistic to not see an approach light unless I look for it, and B) no more black squares when the airport comes into view.

Hi Nojwod,

Any chance of posting the halo.bmp file that you have  on this forum?

I too experience black boxes on Vasi Lighting!

Cheers

Archived