Most default airports missing after Northern California HD install

kerrygipe

After installing Orbx Northern California HD, most of my default airports are now missing. To be honest, I don't know if it was the Northern California installation that caused the issue or if it was something else, because I noticed it after bouncing around to explore the new scenery. They are airports that I had not otherwise visited in a long time so I don't know 100% that they were working correct before the install. I tried to correct one,  San Fransisco, by installing the MisterX6 version, however it also fails to display.

I have Number of World Objects set to maximum in the Settings. Any ideas as to how to solve this would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching my Log file, Scenery_Packs (Saved as .txt) and a sample of what I am seeing in SFO. The issue isn't limited to SFO, I noticed it in a number of areas. Some areas seem ok. Oakland has scenery, and so does Seattle with Washington HD installed. Portland is just like San Fransisco with Oregon HD installed.

Again, any help that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

KSFO.jpg

Log.txt scenery_packs.txt

Copy the following folders that are inside the "KSFO-SanFranciscoV2.01" folder to your "Custom Scenery" folder

KSFO - San Francisco Cable Cars

KSFO - San Francisco V2

KSFO - Traffic Golden Gate Bridge

KSFO - Traffic Oakland Bay Bridge

then trash the "KSFO-SanFranciscoV2.01" folder from your XP "Custom Scenery" folder.

Also apply, and install the patch "Patch_DisableOrthosAndCity" as directed by the KSFO_V2_Manual. The patch that can be downloaded from the same site that you downloaded MistrerX6's version of "KSFO-SanFranciscoV2.01".

Did some adjusting on the "scenery_packs_ini" file.

"Orbx_C_KVUO_Pearson_Field_roads" needed some re-positioning.scenery_packs.txt

Thank you! I feel silly. I knew better than to just drop the entire folder in but I must have had a brain freeze.

Have you any suggestions on how to fix the missing default airports? I did some checking around, it seems that nearly ALL of my default airports are missing. ( No 3D buildings, just like the SFO  pic above). Non airport scenery seems to be working just fine, it's just the default airports that have gone away.

1 hour ago, kerrygipe said:

Thank you! I feel silly. I knew better than to just drop the entire folder in but I must have had a brain freeze.

Have you any suggestions on how to fix the missing default airports? I did some checking around, it seems that nearly ALL of my default airports are missing. ( No 3D buildings, just like the SFO  pic above). Non airport scenery seems to be working just fine, it's just the default airports that have gone away.

I am seeing nothing in the reworked scenery_packs.ini that @Sentry11 revised for you , that would be blocking or masking your default airports. I am interested though to know what is in the gbp500/Misc file?

What size is your Global Airports folder?It should be around 430+MB

Hi Jon,

gbp500/Misc file contains some various LA Basin landmarks that I'm guessing are missing in the default scenery files. Folders include the Palomar Observatory, Hollywood Sign, LADWP ValleyGenStation.

You may be onto something with the Global Airports size. Mine is only 106 MB with 4,223 Files, 301 folders.

> Are all default airports even airports located outside of Orbx scenery area coverage missing?

Not all, but most. I would say about 90% of the ones that I have randomly checked are missing, both within Washington, Oregon, Nor Cal, and also other places, such as San Diego. So I'm now thinking it is not a corruption of an Orbx file. I am thinking, especially after Jon said that his Global Airports is over 430 MB while mine is only 106MB, that somehow a chunk of my Global Airports file is missing. Is the best cure for that a total re-install, or is there another way to restore those files?

@kerrygipe I would just run the X-Plane installer again and it will find the missing files and reinstall them. Remember you have a choice during that process to Keep or Overwrite files so be monitoring your choices carefully so you don't overwrite changes you may want to keep. The other way is to update the XP programme, having kept your Custom Scenery folder in a safe place (preferably on the same drive). XP will then install a new Custom Scenery folder, hopefully with a new complete Global Airports. Take the new Global Airports, put it into your saved Custom Scenery folder, delete the new Custom Scenery folder and replace it with your saved copy now containing a new Global Airports.

Your current copy of Global Airports is odd because you have the correct number of files and folders but should have 423MB

> Your current copy of Global Airports is odd because you have the correct number of files and folders but should have 423MB

Wow, that is odd. The files are on a totally non-compressed SSD drive, so it is truly curious how the sizes have shrunk while maintaining the file and folder count. It sounds like something has corrupted the files. I will try rebuilding the Global Airports file and let ya'll know the results. As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Interesting. I created a second XP11 installation and compared the Global Airports folders. The new one was the same size as the original. I went ahead and swapped the Global Airports folders with each other anyways, and now everything is looking good. So, apparently the files within the Global Airports folder had become corrupt somehow. Thank you both!!!

59 minutes ago, kerrygipe said:

Interesting. I created a second XP11 installation and compared the Global Airports folders. The new one was the same size as the original. I went ahead and swapped the Global Airports folders with each other anyways, and now everything is looking good. So, apparently the files within the Global Airports folder had become corrupt somehow. Thank you both!!!

Strange how they got corrupted and a good job we checked on the folder/content size otherwise the problem solving could have gone on for ages:)

Hello everyone,
I would like to thank you all for this topic, as I have experienced similar issues in Washington. Instead of creating a second installation of X-Plane 11, I have simply deleted the "Global Airports" folder and executed the main installer afterwards, though. This will do the job as well (and is probably much quicker). :)

I'm glad it was of help to you Frank. Yes, your way would work as well. I simply chose a second install because I have the room on my SSD to do it and wanted to be able to compare the files in order to discover not only the fix, but also the root cause of the problem. Cheers!

Archived