SAM v1.1.0 - do I want this...?

WebMaximus

Today I bought my first couple of Orbx airports for X-Plane and have a question about SAM.

In Central looking at 'My Products', I can see there's SAM for me to download under the 'Other' section. I'm not too sure I want that one though since I already have SAM v2.0.0 installed which I got from Aerosoft while this one in Central is v1.1.0.

Unless this SAM listed in Orbx Central is some other kind of SAM required specifically by Orbx airports...?

And if that is the case, do I need to worry about it interfering with the Aerosoft SAM v2.0.0 which I already have installed?

SAM was/is required for a couple of the newer Orbx airports where they have active jetways. I had SAM 1.1.0 installed when i download one those airports a while back and have since, independently, installed SAM v2.0 and all works fine. I suggest you see if v2 works well with the airport and if it does then v1.1.0 would not be required.

Thanks Jon!

So are you saying you currently have both versions of SAM installed? With SAM residing under Plugins with the name SAM as well as a SAM_Library in the Custom Scenery folder, that even seems impossible to me unless you manually renamed the folders to differentiate between the two versions.

I'll leave SAM v1.1.0 out of the picture for the time being and see what happens. If it's the same SAM, I'm a bit surprised why not the latest version is offered via Central since SAM v2.0.0 has been out for a while now.

7 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Thanks Jon!

So are you saying you currently have both versions of SAM installed? With SAM residing under Plugins with the name SAM as well as a SAM_Library in the Custom Scenery folder, that even seems impossible to me unless you manually renamed the folders to differentiate between the two versions.

I'll leave SAM v1.1.0 out of the picture for the time being and see what happens. If it's the same SAM, I'm a bit surprised why not the latest version is offered via Central since SAM v2.0.0 has been out for a while now.

No I now only have SAM 2. I uninstalled SAM v1.1 prior to installing V2. The reason for SAM v1.1 still being the Orbx offering is probably that it is only in there for utilising the jetways which work fine with v1.1. 

1 minute ago, Jon Clarke said:

No I now only have SAM 2. I uninstalled SAM v1.1 prior to installing V2. The reason for SAM v1.1 still being the Orbx offering is probably that it is only in there for utilising the jetways which work fine with v1.1. 

Ah, got you. And I guess you're correct even when I still think it would make sense to offer the latest version of a general plugin not only used for Orbx products.

Was just about to post another question after noticing how the Orbx_A_EGNM_LeedsBradford folder only contains a single file called version_egnm-xp11.txt.

I launched Central and looking under My Products, it claims LeedsBradford being intalled and fully up to date?!

I then found the option to verify files. After clicking that button in Central for LeedsBradford, I now see how it started downloading SAM v1.1.0...hmm...that is not cool. If LeedsBradford are one of those Orbx airports that require SAM to be installed, the installation routine (as well as the Verify files routine) should of course start by checking if SAM is already installed. Rather than start downgrading my SAM plugin and even without asking me if I'm OK with that.

Will allow it to carry on its thing to see if that will also give me all the missing files and folders in the Orbx_A_EGNM_LeedsBradford folder and then manually make sure I'm back on the most current version of SAM rather than the one offered by Orbx Central.

Unless it's me missing something obvious here, this feels like something that should be addressed.

Are you saying that EGNM was not fully installed prior to you having supposedly installed it previously? My point being that Orbx Central will always show SAM as being a part of the EGNM install process whether or not a version of SAM is already installed. That aspect I understand you are  referring to i.e. that you think Orbx Central should discover whether or not you already have a version of SAM installed. However, from an Orbx perspective EGNM requires SAM to be installed from the onset to allow EGNM to work as designed and there are many customers who would not have SAM installed. 

The answer would be I guess to have an option to install SAM during installation.

Hello Jon/WebMaximus,

could this be another one for the Orbx Central developers?

Following the recent update to SODE, Orbx Central would attempt

to "downgrade" SODE to the last version, it required a change to

Orbx Central to allow for the updated version.

I wonder if the same is happening to SAM?

25 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jon/WebMaximus,

could this be another one for the Orbx Central developers?

Following the recent update to SODE, Orbx Central would attempt

to "downgrade" SODE to the last version, it required a change to

Orbx Central to allow for the updated version.

I wonder if the same is happening to SAM?

I believe it is Nick. Central should do a search if possible for the existence of a SAM version both at the installation stage and at a Verify Files stage.

Morning guys (or at least it is here in Sweden) :smile:

Yes to everything you've said above.

So this is exactly what happened in my case. I bought 5 airports in a row (love these kind of sales!) which I was then offered to download/install via Central. I did this for all airports meaning they were queued up. I then allowed them to do their thing. I got a confirmation for each airport that finished downloading/installing and once all of them were done, I was left with 5 airports correctly installed (according to Central) and no SAM installed (not by Central that is since I already had SAM 2.0.0 installed prior to all this even when Central didn't realize that fact). The important thing to mention here I guess is how the obsolete version of SAM offered by Central was never installed as part of the installation of Leeds Bradford.

I then launched xOrganizer which is an awesome plugin helping you to keep all your stuff in X-Plane nicely organized. Goes for both scenery as well as plugins, scripts etc. Would wan't to be without it. Anyway, once it launched, it identified the newly installed airports and had them nicely organized. It also told me something wasn't right with Leeds Bradford and suggested the folder might be empty. I found this warning very strange since I already had Central telling me Leeds Bradford indeed installed correctly.

Anyway, I went to check it out for myself and sure enough, I only had that single version file mentioned in my previous post in the Leeds Bradford folder which part from that was all empty. And still when checking in Central under my products, I was told Leeds Bradford was installed and no updates were available for that product.

This was when I posted about it in here and the rest, you already know - I did the Verify files thing in Central for Leeds Bradford which then installed all the missing files PLUS...SAM 1.1.0. Meaning it was effectively downgraded as pointed out both by Nick and myself. Which of course is a quite bad thing when it isn't an Orbx plugin exclusively used by Orbx products. Any other airports a customer has installed relying on the latest version of SAM will I guess not work correctly after this. Unless you do what I did, manually deleting everything related to SAM after the installation followed by manually installing the latest version of SAM.

Worth mentioning is how Orbx Central still says SAM 1.1.0 is installed even when in fact it's now version 2 of SAM that is installed. So to me, it looks like Central will only ask itself if SAM has been installed or not. Rather than actually having a look. And this is the actual culprit here I think. Causing these kind of issues.

And I'm not sure about this one since I haven't played around with it myself, but as I understand it, in SAM v2 the user can manually adjust the positions of all jet ways etc. Meaning they might have put in a lot of manual work if they have many airports taking advantage of features offered by SAM v2. If that work would be overwritten when Central decides to install SAM v1 on top of SAM v2 simply because it won't actually check if SAM is already installed, I can only assume people wouldn't be that happy. And for good reasons if hours of manual work is flushed down the drain.

So let's hope the Central devs can address this before anything like that happens. Should be quite easy I like to think to simply check if SAM is already installed. And even better would of course be to have Central also perform a version check of SAM. Suggesting the user to upgrade if the SAM version offered by Central is later than the version currently installed. And of course vice versa, never install an older version of SAM on top of an already installed newer version of SAM.

Now it's time to do some flying here checking out my new airports :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived