Orbx Britain TE South X11 vs PD3

John Heaton

Until recently - I used PD3 with a whole raft of Orbx - inc. TE South and was very happy with the quality  of this new addition

A flight all over the South was distinctly to be accurate as I compared it with Google at many places - particularly the complete 

South Coast from Dover to Land End - and the whole of Norfolk - all areas I am very familiar with - and I really looked forward to

promised Central And North - around the end of the year - after being ported from TE Britain XP 11.

Recently - Steam had an offer for XP 11 and Orbx - a large discount off the complete Britain TE package - so since a number of you 

recommended recently that a swap to XP 11 from PD3 might be of some benefit - I took up both offers last week - and bought 3 new aircraft

-since my PD3 ones wont work in XP 11.

At same time - I decided to insert 2 new drives - HDD 7200rpm 2 Tb - in the box - and keeping them exclusive for each sim -

and spent 3 days downloading all my Orbx possesions - via Orbx Central with just a couple of errors installing the Globals in PD3

Yesterday- I spent 3 hours setting up my Saitek yoke and pedals  - and getting used to the XP 11 sim and learning to fly again

Today - I took my first flight in TE central - my original domicile - and  part of the North TE across to the I.O.M.

I have to say that I was very disappointed   in that  the whole thing looked very flat and nothing like the demo pics.

Blackpool - apart from a few POIs standing out - the town looked as flat as a pancake - a google shot in 2D.

So I tried a comparison with screenshots I took in PD3 TE South - and to compare them with what I took today in XP 11 TE South.

The photo is a side by side comparison flying over Gosport - and the treatment of the actual shopping centre is in my book ---- Flat!!

It is so obvious a Flat Google pic and not even a dummy building.  Honestly - my impression was little or no difference to England V6.0

One hopes that the ported Central and North will be an Improvement for PD3611607327_X11VsPD3.thumb.jpg.c38e4457b8af0b4d7f6cda4067a0fd65.jpg

My Thanks to both of you for your comments - and @ Fizelle - WOW - if only I could get that

and I se tha you are not only getting that quality and running at 49 fps

You must have a good machine

I have attached the full shot of the earlier pic which shows my settings at that time. 

Over the weekend I have tried a number of settings and found that only the above works

although my comp is equipped with components so close to the spec rec. by XP11

I5 - 9600 - 3.9 (U/C) - 1050TI RTX - 16 ddr4  - HDD 7200 - and no change from that used by PD3

Moving my sliders to the max - doesn't even load the aircraft (Arrow) - and others just give me no flight 

or slideshow - similar to TE south PD# over London - ( I've almost worn out the runways at Lee on Solent)

It looks as if my move to XP 11 to use Britain TE package was a failed attempt)

Xplane 11 Portsmouth.jpg

@John Heaton

Hi John. One of the things you could try is lowering your screen resolution from 3840 x 2160. With you having that setting I am assuming you have a 4K monitor? If not then you need to set the resolution to native or less. Regarding seeing buildings then the World Objects need to be at Max as you no doubt know.

The options on the left side of the settings relate to your GPU and the right hand side relate to you CPU. So you need to try and strike a balance. Both your GPU and CPU are a little weak for best performance, but you can try adjusting some settings even more. Lower HDR for example, completely reduce reflections to the far left as they are  extremely resource demanding.

Don't give up!

John you need to also turn off "Draw shadows on scenery". It's a resource hog and will decimate your frame rates.

It might also bake your noodle to know that my screenshot is at 1920 x 1080 on a 27" monitor, so you don't need the ultra-high settings as Jon above says. The other thing that might surprise you is I have a Haswell 5820 CPU clocked at 4135, rather than the stock 3300, and a lowly GTX980Ti card. With this configuration I can easily run in VR "virtually" anywhere and it's more than adequate. I don't need 90fps, nor do I seek that. It's whatever one perceives as smooth. In VR it's a bit of a myth that you need 45fps per eye, it's what the brain interpolates that's important.

Same with the monitor; if it looks smooth to your eye, it is smooth. Don't get too hung up on framerates.

Archived