iMac X-Plane unable to install or start after orbx install

Bob Baal

Ok trouble after trouble - running out of things to try.

1) Running x-plane on iMac for several months no issues

2) Decided to improve it - found Orbx!

3) Installed Uk South Demo - worked fine

4) Installed London City complaining about missing files decided this was conflict between demo and purchased package

5) Removed both packages.

6) Bought full UK South package

6a) Installed orbx libraries checked version - all OK X-Plane starts and runs fine

7) Complained about missing scenery files though the file path seemed to be correct.

8) Decided to start again with fresh everything as I was also low on space and RAM

9) Added 16G Ram and 3T external drive

10) Installed X-Plane tested with Exeter and London City everything fine

11) Installed full package of UK south.

12) Complained about missing files - ran Orbx central it did report files missing and installed a bunch more

13) Now X-plane won't run because of missing files

14) Uninstall orbx - system won't start because of missing files

15) Found that init files still mentioned Orbx despite it being uninstalled using Orbx central

16) Manually removed mention of orbx. X-Plane runs fine with default scenery

17) Installed orbx central - installed UK south

18) Now x plane won't even get to complaining about missing files bombs out with this log file

Note before this the log loads files without any error messages

Fetching plugins for /Volumes/Not_RAID_No_1/X11/X-Plane 11/Aircraft/Laminar Research/Cessna 172SP/plugins

Loaded: /Volumes/Not_RAID_No_1/X11/X-Plane 11/Aircraft/Laminar Research/Cessna 172SP/plugins/xlua/64/mac.xpl (com.x-plane.xlua.1.0.0r1).

0:00:50.267 I/SND: This aircraft is using FMOD in PARTIAL mode.
0:00:50.267 I/FLT: Init dat_p0 type:loc_tak apt:EGTE rwy:08
0:01:03.599 I/DSF: Warning for missing scenery file: +49-005
0:01:03.599 I/SCN: DSF load time: 24324882 for file Custom Scenery/Global Airports/Earth nav data/+40-010/+49-003.dsf (0 tris, 0 skipped for 0.0 m^2)
0:01:03.599 I/SCN: DSF load time: 26696089 for file Custom Scenery/Global Airports/Earth nav data/+50-010/+51-005.dsf (0 tris, 0 skipped for 0.0 m^2)
0:01:03.599 I/SCN: DSF load time: 26697862 for file Custom Scenery/Global Airports/Earth nav data/+50-010/+51-003.dsf (0 tris, 0 skipped for 0.0 m^2)
0:01:03.599 I/SCN: DSF load time: 1463518 for file Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/Earth nav data/+50-010/+51-005.dsf (0 tris, 0 skipped for 0.0 m^2)
0:01:03.599 I/SCN: DSF load time: 12578991 for file Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/Earth nav data/+50-010/+51-003.dsf (0 tris, 0 skipped for 0.0 m^2)
--=={This application has crashed!}==--

I have no idea what to try next

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hello Jon,

I don't think it really matters.

It is still X Plane 11 and the problems still have the same cause.

I wonder if the file conversion process is being allowed to finish or

if the conversion is taking place where there is not enough space for it?

I am making the assumption that withTEGB removed, X Plane 11 still works.

If I remove mention of Orbx from scenery Packs.ini x-plane runs normally.

The X-Plane and Orbx drive has 815GB Free

The main drive for the IMac has 256G Free

I note that if I tell Orbx central to remove the Orbx product it says that it has done so (uninstalled) however nothing has changed. Removing it has to be done manually.

I wonder if the issue is not TEGB but Orbx central. When it's doing the download and install I noted that the number of files it was reporting as downloading and the number converted seem to be very different.

Some answers:-

1T Hard drive with 256G Free.

Originally I had both x-plane and orbx installed on the main drive. It did not work and complained of missing files. At that point there was still 56G free on the main drive.

I then removed all the files (or at least though I did ).

I then installed x-plane on an external 3T drive with 2T free and it ran fine. I then installed Orbx central and TEGB. Now x-plane won't boot as per the log file above.

The reason that is said I thought I had removed it all was that when I installed orbx central it somehow knew my serial number? How did it do that if it had been removed?

from the directory names and the paths in the Init files everything is now on the external 3T drive with about 2T free.

Thanks for your help

7 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

@Jon Clarke potentially, I'm not sure though.

I'd advise making sure that Orbx Libraries for XP11 is installed and also running Verify Files on TE GB South. If that doesn't resolve it, I'd suggest making a topic on the Orbx Central subforum where we can investigate this more deeply.

Does this look right?

I
1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Chicago/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Dubai/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Las Vegas/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGLH_Needles/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - New York/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Sydney/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Washington DC/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_OrbxlibsXP/

Your .ini looks OK. Not exactly as i would have layered but OK. If you want me to redo it then attach your actualscenery_packs.ini. 

Please note that it won't affect your current problem.

You also need to attach the Log txt file as a photo of a portion of it is not enough.

So, XP runs okay on the computer's main drive without any Orbx files.

Is it possible for you to re-format the 3T Ext. Drive in the required Mac format without losing any other of your important files on the Ext. drive and with  just XP installed on your computer's main drive?

Then without any virus checking program operating install all Orbx files and it's libraries on the 3T Ext. drive.

The .ini file is as it was when Orbx edited it. I have not made any config changes. I selected all defaults other than the installation folder/drive

"So, XP runs okay on the computer's main drive without any Orbx files." XP runs on both the Internal drive and the external files fine if Orbx has not been installed.

Rather the reformat the 3T external its probably easier to get another external 1T and reformat that and install the system there.

I am going to be away in 2 days time for 10 days so I might go quiet. But I will be back.

Thanks

Bob

Log.txt scenery_packs.ini

30 minutes ago, Bob Baal said:

The .ini file is as it was when Orbx edited it. I have not made any config changes. I selected all defaults other than the installation folder/drive

"So, XP runs okay on the computer's main drive without any Orbx files." XP runs on both the Internal drive and the external files fine if Orbx has not been installed.

Rather the reformat the 3T external its probably easier to get another external 1T and reformat that and install the system there.

I am going to be away in 2 days time for 10 days so I might go quiet. But I will be back.

Thanks

Bob

Log.txt 20.12 kB · 0 downloads scenery_packs.ini 1.16 kB · 0 downloads

What I was getting at is that the internal drive in your iMac would be in all probability your fastest drive and you might want to have XP installed on it.

Then reformatting an external drive with the Orbx UK South files installed and linked to your XP's Custom Scenery folder installed on your main drive.

Its worth a try and it just might work.

• 4 weeks later...

OK so now I seem to be fixed!

I bought a new drive a USB3 6T External drive ( 6T my first HD was 10 M!)

I removed as much of X11 and Orbx as I could find

I installed X11 on the internal HD and confirmed correct operations

I installed Orbx onto the external drive

I installed London City and GB south paks.

It all works!

Frame rate for London City is about 9 so its unusable at the moment. However I just watched the tutorial on setting frame rates so I will have a go later at that stuff.

I have suspicions that the issue was caused by th eorder that I installed stuff the first time

XPlane -> South Demo -> London City -> Full South

THis Install was XPLane -> South -> London City

Though I think I tried that before with no luck.

Oh well off to tune stuff now - thats for the help

Bob

Two things to consider. The first is check your scenery-packs.ini to see if it is layering your addons as they should be. I will check it for you if you want when you have finished all your reinstalling.

The second point is that EGLC (Orbx version) is very high spec and resource demanding, full of HD textures, PBR ground polygon, ground service equipment and clutter, and 60cm ortho, and finally detailed HD PBR static aircraft. All of this is very demanding. The other factor is that it sits in the area that now has PBR autogen after the 1st Service Pack for TEGB South. 

Let me know if you want  some suggestions to increase your fps in that area.

Archived