upgrade? new pc? or leave it?

wain71

Right here goes.....I have attached some p3d4.5 pics.....the indicated blurriness, is that just me or does anyone else see this?.....my XP11 set up is fine even with TE products but p3d just seems a blurry mess to me....it may just be that I need to set it up but I have moved things back, moved them as per ORBX manual still to me it just looks bad....I use by choice both sims, mostly as I have planes in both that I like but also for testing on behalf of Just Flight....... for p3d I have all ORBX except TE, I use REX Skyforce and Enviroment force......FPS wise on these shots I was getting over 50 but I understand this is a default plane......I only struggle fps wise using Captainsim products, ifly & Aerosofts airliners are all OK...

i5 6600k @4.3

GTX 1070 with 8 gig RAM

16 gig RAM @ 2400

MSI Z170A Tomahawk mobo

2 x 4TB HDD, one for each sim

SSD for win10

this system is one I built 2 years ago so not sure if I need to upgrade bits or complete new system, or like I said it might be my settings...

any guidance or suggestions welcome......

blur1.jpg

blur2.jpg

No need for an upgrade!
P3D has always been poor at LOD, only since v4.4 have things improved.

Given that your hardware is similar to mine, give these settings a bash:

CQTZoE3.jpg

The blurries will be affected by the 'Level of detail radius' slider and the 'Use high-resolution terrain textures' checkbox.

If you're feeling confident, you can use the tweak to manually add 'TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10' to your Prepar3D.cfg file below the section called [Terrain]. You must have the 'Use high-resolution terrain textures' checkbox filled as per the picture above!
This will give you 1024 sized textures as opposed to 512 with just the box checked or 256 if you leave the box unchecked.

Note that this tweak will increase increase your VRAM usage, potentially causing performance loss in demanding areas as your VRAM is maxed out. It will also increase your scenario load times.

I have used the tweak for flights over OLC areas, some of the better-performing Orbx regions or photo scenery with little to no autogen present to avoid maxing out the GPU's VRAM when using a payware airliner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 11:20 PM, F737NG said:

No need for an upgrade!
P3D has always been poor at LOD, only since v4.4 have things improved.

Yes, I agree. my system specs are even below and I don't have these blurries and my level of detail radius is only set to high.

But my P3d.cfg is totally tweaked and probably this is not needed using a very strong machine. As the tweaks depend on the system

and hardware I suggest that you browse the net for all the available tweaks and than try it all out. The big problem is that there are

thousands of combinations of settings and tweaks of course. Also important is the graphics driver and the shaders as well.

I found that I cannot use P3d 4.5 at all, don't know why, and reverted it all back to 4.4 and this is it now.

My performance drops significantly in v4.5, terrible.

Cheers

Andreas 

12 hours ago, andiflyit said:

But my P3d.cfg is totally tweaked [...]

I found that I cannot use P3d 4.5 at all, don't know why...

Yes, you know why, but you have to accept it...

Nowadays, besides "tweaks" that actually improve the visuals beyond what is possible via the GUI, no tweaks are really needed in P3Dv4.5.

The only tweak I still use in my config is the affinity mask setting. And this is basically not even a "tweak", as it simply limits P3D to the cores I want and allows me to use HT on (I am simply to lazy to switch HT on and off depending on wheter or not I am going to use P3D).

So, in your case I really strongly suggest to get rid of this "totally tweaked" prepar3d.cfg once and start from scratch. Might be that you wont have any issues with P3Dv4.5 anymore then...

18 hours ago, AnkH said:

So, in your case I really strongly suggest to get rid of this "totally tweaked" prepar3d.cfg once and start from scratch. Might be that you wont have any issues with P3Dv4.5 anymore then...

Thank you but this suggestion won't work because I did this very soon after installing v4.5, it didn't work.

But for me it's not a problem, my v4.4 runs very well. I'll keep it as it is now and no more updates... 

Hi guys I would like to hear opinions about this pc for p3dv4.5 orbx vector region etc, plus carenado and pmdg an VR.. Is it ok?

Processor
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K 3.6GHZ (Turbo up to 5GHz) OverClocked

Chipset
Intel Z390

Graphics
NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB

Memory
32GB DDR4 (2x 16GB) 3200mhz

Storage
1TB (7200 RPM) + 512GB PCIEx4 SSD

Im worried about the processor base 3.6 turbo 5. Is this ok or the performance will improve a lot with something OC around let’s say 4.7?

I don’t need every setting setting to max, Im happy to spend just the necessary to run orbx with the recommended to enjoy it while using VR on v4.5 and hopefully FS2020

thanks for the help.

Michael

It will be fine, as long as your cooling solution is capable enough, your 9900K will provide enough power even without overclocking. The base clock will almost never be used.

However, your list reads like it is a pre-assembled computer that already includes overclocking? Then you can care even less.

The only thing you might consider: do you really need to go for the top-processor from Intel? You would have almost equally good results with a 9700K instead but save some money you could potentially invest into a 2080Ti instead (which would provide you more performance for VR).

Then, although it is rather a personal preference than a prerequisite: I would not use any normal HDD anymore but only use SSD nowadays. Besides being faster, they are totally silent. You won't gain FPS with an SSD instead of an HDD, but loading times are much faster and it might have a positive effect on terrain loading while you are flying around. So, you might think about adding a 1TB SSD to this rig dedicated to the simulator. The 1TB HDD you could still use for stuff not depending on the speed of the SSD and you might use it as a backup (but then, it should have slightly more storage space, e.g. 4TB).

Hello AnkH, thanks for replying 

Yes the pc is pre-assembled. I don’t have experience building pc or with liquid cooling. I just updated from fsx to p3d, added some orbx products and now I definitely need to update the pc. Even for non VR is still ok but my current processor is just too slow at 3.6 and OC not possible.

I do plan to add an SSD only for the sim. 

I think you are right about the processor, I don’t need the latest just the necessary to enjoy orbx with decent settings and VR. Maybe a 8700k with OC can do the job better? I guess I was I trying to avoid getting into OC and liquid cooling since I don’t know much about it. So I will try look for rtx2080ti but what about the processor, standard 3.6 turbo 4.7-5 will do fine or OC/liquid cooling is that much better?

thanks again 

It depends on your budget and how much variability this pre-assembler allows. Yes, a 8700K would be sufficient if it is overclocked to 4.8-5.0GHz and you might save some money for the 2080Ti, but pre-assembler often do not offer "old" CPUs anymore, that is why I suggested the 9700K.

Don't get fooled by this Intel gaga specifications, a quick google search will give you the information you want. Yes, the base clock of current CPUs is extremely low, that is pure marketing to have a clock indicated where their CPUs will maintain the TDP they indicate. In reality, neither a 9700K nor the 9900K will ever run at 3.6GHz only, but on the turbo for all cores. This is 4.6GHz for the 9700K and 4.7GHz for the 9900K. The "5.0GHz" marketing blabla on the other hand is the "single-core turbo", means you reach this clock rate only when only one (sometimes two) core is under load. Nowadays, this is hardly ever the case, not even with P3D.

The OC offering from a pre-assembler is also basically just a question of budget. As you can see, both the 9700K and the 9900K need overclocking for all cores running at 5.0GHz, as such the pre-assembler will use the better cooling solution for those products compared to a rig where no OC is indicated. As you have no experience in building a rig and probably also not in overclocking, I would suggest you take this "factory overclock" by your assembler if you can afford it or simply go for the non-OC version.

Just careful: usually pre-assembler do not use the processors with a -K suffix for non-OC preassembled rigs. Yet you get more power out of those processors even if you do not overclock, as they usually have a higher default clock rate.

Sounds complicated, but if you do some reading, you will quickly get the logic behind ;-)

Hello guys, did some reading about OC but also about performance and p3d and it seems like is never enough.

So I was considering a custom build with rtx2080 and then I found a used pc pretty much the same specs but gtx1080ti (inno3d). I know is not ideal but the pc is slightly used and inno3d while is not a popular brand, apparently is not bad. Price being 40% less, is it worth considering? I want p3d to run well with VR but not to the point of selling my car to get 5 fps more :blink: I´m thinking I could reinvest the savings on addons and better VR headset

Specs:

Inno3D DDR5 11GB GTX 1080ti Founders Edition

I7 9700k upto 4.9GHZ

ASUS Z390 A PRIME Motherboard

Seagate 2TB HDD 7200 RPM

Samsung SSD 970 Evo 500gb M.2

Gskill 16GB RAM 3200Mhzb RGB C16D-GTZR

Corsair Water cooler H100x

Corsair Power supply RM 750X

Corsair RGB case 460x

Please let me know about any red flags before buying. It still have warranty left with the store.

• 2 weeks later...

so I decided in the end to upgrade a few months early, I do it roughly every 3 year...Bought Z390 Motherboard, I5 9600k and M.2 for OS system.....all installed and seems to be running well even in built up areas....I was getting some really strange flickering, as if a window was opening, a guy on youtube suggested V-sync on and tick triple buffering, got to say this seems to have done the trick, so with that and fixing a sticking knob on my Saitek panel I am a happy simmer again......

Archived