new orbx central?

pilot100

Decided to try , with trepidation, orbx central but version now showing is orbx-central-4.0.10 ! Is this a new version? If so why no announcement or am I missing  something? 

Any advice as to whether I should update and if this a new version would be welcome but,  please, No rants.....

thanks guys,

Brian

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

ok thanks Mitchell, as I understand it at present, if I leave the library as is (ie within p3d current directory) and update to orbx central I should be good to go?

anything else I should be aware of?

Brian 

10 minutes ago, pilot100 said:

ok thanks Mitchell, as I understand it at present, if I leave the library as is (ie within p3d current directory) and update to orbx central I should be good to go?

anything else I should be aware of?

Hi Brian,

If you leave everything within the P3D directory, Central will function in almost the exact same way that FTX Central did.

There is no need to migrate anything to a library to use Orbx Central. In fact, I'd recommend you don't migrate anything (especially if it's all working fine now)

1 hour ago, Ben McClintock said:

Hi Brian,

If you leave everything within the P3D directory, Central will function in almost the exact same way that FTX Central did.

There is no need to migrate anything to a library to use Orbx Central. In fact, I'd recommend you don't migrate anything (especially if it's all working fine now)

Hi Ben,

I don't get it then!! If you're recommending we don't migrate anything, why is it even included as a function in the new Orbx Central? :banghead:

Kind Regards

Nigel

1 minute ago, Billo said:

why is it even included as a function in the new Orbx Central

Because some people want to have their products installed outside of the simulator. Instead of redownloading everything, we gave them a button that would move the product from their simulator into a library. Do you think we should not give them that option?

In the Orbx Central update on the 16th of August, we added that additional guidance once you click on "Migrate to Library":

m7hKXqdbOiiKehT-2TycOHIxAw5Vd0bDkX-gHPpA

1 hour ago, Ben McClintock said:

Because some people want to have their products installed outside of the simulator. Instead of redownloading everything, we gave them a button that would move the product from their simulator into a library. Do you think we should not give them that option?

In the Orbx Central update on the 16th of August, we added that additional guidance once you click on "Migrate to Library":

m7hKXqdbOiiKehT-2TycOHIxAw5Vd0bDkX-gHPpA

No of course I'm not suggesting that, I'm trying to understand the logic of your recommending we don't use the feature, especially with the enormous problems it has caused using it! And I'm assuming with you being part of the development team. 

I too was bitten by the feature and jumped straight in to migrating my stuff out of the sim, only to have a myriad of problems on doing so!!

I was fortunate to have an image of my drive I'd only just created, so I was able to get my sim back to pretty much the same I had it before migrating. Many of us started again from scratch.

As from the attached screenshot, it suggests that we don't migrate to a library if it's working, which further suggests, you can cause yourself problems if you do. With all the headaches this has caused the development team, I wonder if it's worth it being an option, I'm sure there are plenty of the community who wished they'd left well alone :wacko: 

This is interesting. The recommendation is NOT to migrate. 

Scenario: My flightsim harddisk crashes and everyting is gone, P3D and ALL files in the P3D/ORBX directory. After installing a new sim-HD I have to reinstall everything flightsim related, including redownloading/reinstalling ALL my ORBX products (2 weeks job). IF I had migrated to a 2nd HD, everything related to ORBX would have been stored there, assumning I have a second HD ("old" sim on E and my migration disk is F where I also store most of my other scenerys added the "old" way.). So install P3D on new E and.... voila everything ORBX related would allready be installed just because I migrated. Just my thoughts for what it´s worth. Glad I took the time to migrate my ORBX products, yes I have ALL of them. As I have a copy my "old" scenery.cfg I can just move it back and everything will work just fine. How do I know that? Been there done that.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

6 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

I welcome these changes. Improved flexibility for the user as to install location I a great feature. Some of these products are HUGE (+200GB for Washington and Oregon) and it might be necessary to spread the products over several SSD/HDDs.Before installing the TE US products to my SSD with limited space, I migrated all the TE GB regions to a HDD. Migration was time-consuming, but for me, uneventful.

Although there has been numerous adverse events with the installation process for many users (myself included), I think the idea as a whole is positive: simultaneous download-exctraction-conversion for these HUGE products. 

I haven’t had a chance to try the new version yet, but I commend Orbx on their support and continued development of their products. I’m confident the hiccups will be smoothed out in time!

In particular I look forward to try out these changes in the new version:

9 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

Improved

• The uninstall code for X-Plane products is now more stable.
  • Error messages when a chunk fails to extract are now more readable.
  • The extraction stage is now more stable.

Just some feedback, 

installed orbx central and no problems. Used the defaults except for backup location. 

One question that I found confusing was location of main library, the application suggests a default (which I used) but this does no point to the one in my p3d directory..... after updating all my scenery this location had a size of 7.3mbytes so not sure what that is. Looked in the manual but couldn't  see any ref to this.

Did not make any other library operations and all seems to working as it was so all is good. 

Brian 

Archived