TE Oregon stalls while converting

Maypo1957

I have purchased TE Oregon HD and  the downloading and installing has stalled at 'Extracted 7491/20675 Converted 6642/20630.   It had been at this point for 24 hours.  It also stalled at about the 5500 point for converting.  I uninstalled ORBX CENTRAL 4.0.6 and deleted files per another thread and it got to 6642 and stalled again.  I deleted all the TE Oregon files in the X-Plane custom scenery folder a previous time it stalled at 5500.   Any suggestions.  

TE Oregon.png

1.2 TB free space.  Update.  I searched for 'oregon' on all drives and deleted all references to orbx oregon.  Started central and it jumps to 23% downloaded and the same point as above for converting.  Hey...does central install to the 'C' drive automatically and do all the work there before installing in the X-Plane's drive?  C drive has 141 GB free.  I have also tried cancelling the install, and the canceling graphic has been running for over an hour.  I think central is messed up, but uninstalling it doesn't appear to do any good.   I've tried to verify a small Prepar3d airport for the heck of it and it is in line behind the oregon cancelling.

7 minutes ago, Maypo1957 said:

Hey...does central install to the 'C' drive automatically and do all the work there before installing in the X-Plane's drive?  C drive has 141 GB free. 

Yes, so 141gb is not enough.

You can go to settings\downloader and select\create a new temp folder location with more space.

The user guide is also located under settings\help.

Thank you for sticking to this, Doug.  Funny thing.  I've un-installed central, rebooted and did a new install.  Even before I can log into ORBX to finish the setup, it is already doing the converting.  It doesn't know me, but it knows Oregon is on the pc?  This doesn't make sense.  Or, the uninstall isn't getting all the files.  I actually use Revo Uninstaller to make sure all those pesky files are removed.  Also, during setup I make the temp file and the ORBX library locations on my larger drive, but when I go into settings they are the default ORBX locations.  And why didn't central tell me the c drive did not have enough space for the conversion?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  FYI.  I did at one point fly around with Oregon SD.  Don't ask me how central forgot the HD install and allowed that!  I un-install the SD version in central and am back to the HD version stalling.  Also, cancelling just makes the cancelling graphic run and does nothing.  Central never ask me for a install location, I wonder if I did a thorough uninstall and put central somewhere else if it would forget it was trying to install Oregon.

For a clean start you will need to delete the following paths,

%AppData%/Orbx/Central
%LocalAppData%/Programs/orbx-central
%LocalAppData%/orbx-central-updater
Then, download the installer again from the website and install Central again.

There will be more refining and notifications regarding Orbx Central install locations, default and folder choices coming soon I believe. 

@Doug,

As an aside to the "stalling" issue, I ran into this that may need to be forwarded to the "fix it" team:

Some new(er) external hard drives will automatically go into "sleep" or "hibernation" mode after a period of time not being accessed.  It is part of the FIRMWARE in the drive and can't be turned off by the user (evidently part of a "Let's all go Green" movement of some sort).  I have 3 of those drive (Seagates).  When I was trying to install TE Oregon on one of them it appeared the Central process may not have been accessing the drive continuously enough to prevent the drive from "going to sleep".  Then when Central tried to access the drive it didn't "see" the drive anymore and just stalled the entire procedure, instead of waiting for the drive to "wake up" when it needed to be used again.  After multiple tries of running (unsuccessful) "Verify Files" from within Central, I gave up on using the external drives and had to install Oregon directly into my internal SSD drive X-Plane folder. Then I could manually move it to the external drive.

Just something the developers may want to investigate.

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

@Doug,

As an aside to the "stalling" issue, I ran into this that may need to be forwarded to the "fix it" team:

Some new(er) external hard drives will automatically go into "sleep" or "hibernation" mode after a period of time not being accessed.  It is part of the FIRMWARE in the drive and can't be turned off by the user (evidently part of a "Let's all go Green" movement of some sort).  I have 3 of those drive (Seagates).  When I was trying to install TE Oregon on one of them it appeared the Central process may not have been accessing the drive continuously enough to prevent the drive from "going to sleep".  Then when Central tried to access the drive it didn't "see" the drive anymore and just stalled the entire procedure, instead of waiting for the drive to "wake up" when it needed to be used again.  After multiple tries of running (unsuccessful) "Verify Files" from within Central, I gave up on using the external drives and had to install Oregon directly into my internal SSD drive X-Plane folder. Then I could manually move it to the external drive.

Awesome find!

4 hours ago, FalconAF said:

@Doug,

That's really interesting. Have several failed installs (followed by several verifications) of Washington and Oregon to a Seagate Barracuda HDD. It's a 2,5" SATA internal though. I have a small program called "DontSleep" running to prevent PC from entering sleep/hibernation during installation process.

Thank you all for your assistance and follow up.  I found the Oregon zip files eventually, deleted them, made sure central was using the larger drive and everything went fine.  I personally blame central for this.  A fairly sophisticated program that I'm sure should have pre-allocated space and told me there wasn't enough room on the c: drive to do the extracting/converting.  I have a Steam X-Plane installed and if Oregon had been installed through Steam's system it would have caught it.  

All's well that ends well, I'm departing KPDX for a VFR flight along I-5 to the California border.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Archived