Orbx licensing for two-computer system

This is a question about the Orbx user license.

I’m building a helicopter simulator, using two networked Windows 10 based PC’s running X-Plane 11.35.  The Master computer drives three forward and side-view monitors, runs the Flight Model, and sends Date refs to the second computer. This second, or Slave, computer drives another two monitors, and drives a separate instrument panel application and its associated monitor.

This two computer set-up is fairly common in X-plane circles, but it does require a separate but identical copy of X-Plane in each machine- identical in all respects including Scenery.

Obviously the PCs are separate machines, but they are used solely for my simulator, and could not operate as such unless they were both part of a single, networked entity.

Can I buy one copy of TrueEarth Great Britain South and install it into both PCs, using the same licence key?

I won’t pursue how Orbx Central would work, but I imagine that there must be one copy for each PC, since I believe that the libraries from one installer can only be installed into one machine.

The answer is here in the EULA

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:

a. You may install, access, and run a SINGLE copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a SINGLE personal computer for your personal, non-commercial, non-profit use. Any party or organisation seeking to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT under license for commercial use should see our Commercial Use License Agreement.

To Doc_Z: thanks for that - I realised the tone of the Lounge once I had got in, but too late. There doesn't seem to be a clearly defined forum for questions about Company policy wrt Licensing.

To Fizelle: thank you for the reminder. I had read the EULA but rather hoped that it would not so rigid that it could not be applied to single, networked home-brew rig with two PCs as integrated components.  The cost of two complete copies of TrueEarth Great Britain puts it out my reach, so farewell Orbx.

42 minutes ago, Helifan said:

I had read the EULA but rather hoped that it would not so rigid that it could not be applied to single, networked home-brew rig with two PCs

Don't give up yet as Orbx hasn't replied. In my experience it isn't as rigid. When I experimented with this the advice was to purchase multiple licences, which I did, and then a couple of weeks after someone else asked and John Venema said they would 'turn a blind eye' to such usage. So it is worth pursuing for an answer from officialdom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 2:04 PM, MarkH said:

Don't give up yet as Orbx hasn't replied. In my experience it isn't as rigid. When I experimented with this the advice was to purchase multiple licences, which I did, and then a couple of weeks after someone else asked and John Venema said they would 'turn a blind eye' to such usage. So it is worth pursuing for an answer from officialdom.

Thanks, mine is home setup for my own training purposes. 

So I will just try the install on the other visuals.

Regards, Wilko

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchased and installed Australia V2 in the FSX directory  on a Windows 10 X64 computer - personal at home use. I have now purchased and installed Prepar3D V5 on the same computer.

How can I now also also install that copy of Australia V2 in that Prepar3D V5 directory?

Allan

Nick

Sorry, I am unsure what you mean.

I have run P3D V5 multiple times.

When I open Orbx Central,  the box at the top just shows Flight Simulator X and clicking on it does not allow for a change to P3D.

If I click on Oceania in the Store, I see Australia V2 highlighted and a green tick. If I then click on it, there is only an option to uninstall the product from FSX.

I have tried running P3D and then staring Orbx Central - no change to the above.

Sorry if I am obtuse but what are you suggesting I do?

Allan

Archived