Some other questions regarding the migration process

In the past you had to manually deactivate some files to get compatibility between Orbx products and other addon. This had to be done mainly with Vector, but also other Orbx products like openLC and/or regions.

Lets talk about Vector for example: i had several files set to off manually. When I now start the migration, will all the files in the old Vector folders simply be moved to my new library or is it more like a fresh install where I have to deactivate those various files again.

Same question applies to the other Orbx products where you manually set files to off.

In case I have to deactive those files again, it will be a massive task to find all those manually edited files and edit them once again in their new location.

Yes, but I guess this applies only to settings I made in the control panel and not to files I set manually off like shown above.

Also it does not covering anything outside Vector.

So the simply questions is: are the files moved to the new location as they are, or are they kind of fresh downloaded and installed, so that all renaming of files is gone.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

At the same time, there is never a need to do that,

TBH, but I disagree with you here. The renaming (setting files to .inactive) is done by the AEC Tool. But to get conmpatibility with other addons you have also to deactivate other files within Vector and not only AEC files. And this has to be done manually. Simply look at the compatibilty forum. And this also applies to files completely outside Vector.

So best is to answer my simple question: Will all the orbx files simply moved to the new location as they are or is it kind of fresh install?

The simple answer is that I have no idea.

My opinion is that it is unlikely and that Orbx Central will instead create a new and full installation

of the Vector files in the new location.

I base this on the fact that it cannot migrate a product for which there are no files yet on the server

and assume that it needs to refer to a database to do so.

For this reason, in your very special case, my recommendation would be not to migrate Vector,

an option which is open to you.

Which files have you found the need to remove or rename, inside Vector, apart from those connected to AEC?

Thx, Nick this answers my question. I thought that the migration move files from the existing installation on my PC simply to the new location.

11 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Which files have you found the need to remove or rename, inside Vector, apart from those connected to AEC?

For example those files:
2019-08-06_20h47_10.thumb.png.dd38541dfee771613fddf44e8a473f3e.png

Something like this  (manually renaming) needs always to be done when you install an scenery addon in an area that is covered by Orbx. Here an example from the compatibilty forum:

This changes need to be done manually and are all gone when you do a migration. And there are a lot of those changes.

So for me it is now quite clear, that I will not migrate anything. I regret this, as I was very happy to hear that I'm now able to move all Orbx stuff out of the P3D mainfolder.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Why do the ABP_ICAO files for airports with no AEC need to be disabled?

Overlapping landclass, objects, airport layout etc.

Sascha Norman is very experienced regarding this and included a great piece of software ("troubleshooter") in the configurator for his products, that detects conflicts with Orbx files and solves them automatically. He is licensing this software to other devs.

Interesting point here. The compatibility relies on other publisher's research on what need to be changed to get this compatibility. Flightbeam runs a troubleshooting and intendifies files which need to be disabled. That is probably obsolete as long as other publisher/developer react to the new ORBX Central logic.

Otto was faster...

1 minute ago, Viking01 said:

Flightbeam runs a troubleshooting and intendifies files which need to be disabled.

Thats exactly the software they licensed from Sascha Norman.

1 minute ago, Viking01 said:

That is probably obsolete as long as other publisher/developer react to the new ORBX Central logic

Dont think so, as Orbx delivers software that covers certain areas up to a certain level of detail. As soon as you have another addon going beyond the Orbx level you will run into conflicts and that got nothing to do with "Orbx Central Logic"

Why? Sascha Norman found a way to identify necessary change to make the addons work perfectly. I don't see why that could not be achieved after using ORBX Central. But I have to admit that I'm no expert on that, I just liked that feature when installing their software.

1 hour ago, mopperle said:

Overlapping landclass, objects, airport layout etc.

Sascha Norman is very experienced regarding this and included a great piece of software ("troubleshooter") in the configurator for his products, that detects conflicts with Orbx files and solves them automatically. He is licensing this software to other devs.

I don't see any airport information in those files at all, or at least ADE says that there is none.

6.jpg

I am keen to learn more, can you explain what effect the file might have?

Hi!

When Central migrates a product, it actually begins a fresh install into the library and then finds files that are already installed to prevent requiring to download them again. The old install is then removed. Therefore, the installed product will be the same as a fresh installation. We do try to carry over control panel settings where possible, this does not apply to Vector though.

For third-party tools that have 'Orbx Compatibility' features or similar, they will likely expect products to be installed directly into the simulator. They will need to update their tools to account for add-on.xml based installations.

Archived