Translucent buildings, is this caused by theTrue Earth South update?

SMB4

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have the exact same issue with buildings in London suddenly appearing, initially transparent , then normal as you get closer. I removed the recently installed Orbx EGLC, no difference to the transparent buildings. I have also reduced the texture setting and other graphics settings, no difference. It seems to have happened after the recent upgrade to the TE GB south.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just add that there is also a similar problem but not quite so severe over Manchester City UK. Frame rates similar to that over London, with slightly less stuttering (ie. just about bearable). I haven't noticed a problem anywhere else so far that is covered with OrbX's TE scenery addons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, well at least it’s in the queue to be fixed. To be honest with you for me this problem rather spoils flying around the London area and together with the poor frame rates as well (compared to other TE areas in the UK and in the States), I’m tending to keep away from the London area since this translucent buildings problem occurred.

I hope that when there is an update of TEGB using the new True Colour technology ( as advised by JV recently) as is being used and tested in TE Florida, that most anomalies will also be addressed. TEGB South was the very first TE and I don't believe it is as optimised as much as some of the other newer TE addons that have enjoyed ever increasing new techniques in their development. If it's any consolation, I too struggle around London, both in the sim and in the real world!!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this issue any closer to being fixed, meanwhile Orbx are still making new products to sell, should this issue take priority for their customers who remain loyal? No disrespect intended but it has been an issue for a long time now.

@SMB4 I think it is connected in a way. SP1 of TEGB South caused the introduction of the translucent buildings but also included a revised mesh in the area. This may have something to do with the Westminster Bridge change.

@Tony Wroblewski is the man to answer this if he has a moment to break away from his development work of TE SoCal

Hmm, actually the Westminster bridge isn't ours but Laminar Research's default... Check your scenery order and make sure London Landmarks is higher up..as it's likely it isn't

On 3/22/2020 at 4:32 PM, SMB4 said:

Is this issue any closer to being fixed, meanwhile Orbx are still making new products to sell, should this issue take priority for their customers who remain loyal? No disrespect intended but it has been an issue for a long time now.

Sorry for the delay doing this.... Yes, it has been fixed but there are other patches pending for the service pack. GBS is the first one to get a patch out as soon as SoCal is out which shouldn't be too much longer. 

In the meanwhile, I've created a quick patch that will fix the transparent London buildings.

Please download the attached file, unzip and then replace the files from the zipped folder in to Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/objects/london inside your X-Plane folder..

london_patch.zip

19 hours ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Hmm, actually the Westminster bridge isn't ours but Laminar Research's default... Check your scenery order and make sure London Landmarks is higher up..as it's likely it isn't

Sorry for the delay doing this.... Yes, it has been fixed but there are other patches pending for the service pack. GBS is the first one to get a patch out as soon as SoCal is out which shouldn't be too much longer. 

In the meanwhile, I've created a quick patch that will fix the transparent London buildings.

Please download the attached file, unzip and then replace the files from the zipped folder in to Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/objects/london inside your X-Plane folder..

london_patch.zip 13.18 MB · 9 downloads

Hi Tony, Thank`s for your reply, My London landmarks are high up, I find if they are not that London eye is missing and London bridge is like a building. I have downloaded the patch ( thank you very much ) and it works fine with the ghost buildings although Westminster bridge has not altered, as you mentioned it is probably a Laminar issue. It is great work you are doing BTW, it is all double dutch to me. I love True Earth and realise it will get better with updates, for myself I would like the ground textures to be a little lighter shade of green, is there any adjustments that can be made? Thanks very much once again.

2 hours ago, SMB4 said:

for myself I would like the ground textures to be a little lighter shade of green, is there any adjustments that can be made?

You could probably do it yourself using a photoshop batch if you know how to do that..... Basically you'd record an action to change the colours as you like and run it across the images... However, you'd have to first convert them to .png files, run the batch, and convert them back again... quite a bit of work

• 1 month later...

I have the new update, thanks for that but I am still having issues . Westminster bridge is still broken, Canary Wharf is still blurred. ground textures are not as good as they used to be, no carriages on cable car or animation ( near EGLC ) and I have no animated cars on EGHR Goodwood. Are these down for fixing on another update?  Many thanks.

Cessna_172SP - 2020-04-12 16.59.25.png

Cessna_172SP - 2020-05-19 00.05.03.png

Cessna_172SP - 2020-05-19 00.07.07.png

Cessna_172SP - 2020-05-19 00.07.39.png

5 hours ago, SMB4 said:

I have the new update, thanks for that but I am still having issues . Westminster bridge is still broken, Canary Wharf is still blurred. ground textures are not as good as they used to be, no carriages on cable car or animation ( near EGLC ) and I have no animated cars on EGHR Goodwood. Are these down for fixing on another update? 

Are you are using 11.50 beta? As far as the Westminster Bridge is concerned it wasn't in the list of fixes. Blurred ground texture is possibly XP 11.50 as far as i know there was no change to the quality of the ortho in the update

There is no support for XP Beta.

I show you  animated cars at Goodwood race track. This is in 11.41. I cannot show you the same in XP1150 as you are correct, they don't show and neither do the animated cable cars near EGLC. There will be no fixes until 11.50 becomes an official release out of bets

Capture.thumb.JPG.fbd9f512687dbdeab22f81592ca0da7d.JPG

25 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Blurred ground texture is possibly XP 11.50 as far as i know there was no change to the quality of the ortho in the update

I've also noticed extremely blurry textures around EGLC since the last update to GB South and that's on XP 11.41, not 11.50. It's only an area a few hundred meters around EGLC, for the rest of London and GB the orthos look as detailed as always.

The groundtraffic plugin we used currently doesn't work in 11.50 beta, until it does, moving cable-cars and the racing cars won't work.

The blurries are also caused by memory management in 11.50, which will drastically cut resolution to maintain framerate. It's not ideal, but the only way round this is to:

1) Buy a better GPU with more VRAM

2) Stick to 11.41

3) Hope LR fix the GPU memory management issues

1 minute ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

The groundtraffic plugin we used currently doesn't work in 11.50 beta, until it does, moving cable-cars and the racing cars won't work.

The blurries are also caused by memory management in 11.50, which will drastically cut resolution to maintain framerate. It's not ideal, but the only way round this is to:

2) Stick to 11.41

The blurries around EGLC are there (and only there, nowhere else) on XP11.41 with a RTX2080ti (11GB VRAM) and they weren't there before the last update to GB South.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDoDo said:

The blurries around EGLC are there (and only there, nowhere else) on XP11.41 with a RTX2080ti (11GB VRAM) and they weren't there before the last update to GB South.

Absolutely nothing was changed around EGLC in the latest update. The only thing we did was add a landable heliport.

17 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Absolutely nothing was changed around EGLC in the latest update. The only thing we did was add a landable heliport.

Upon further examination it looks like the problem is not with the orthos themselves, but that in an area around EGLC there aren't any detail decals applied to the orthos anymore after the last update.

1923850394_Cessna_172SP-2020-05-2220_37_26.thumb.jpg.75b98b81b110aeb5974a62e9224ba4b8.jpg

EGLC with blocky pixels.

926944001_Cessna_172SP-2020-05-2220_39_15.thumb.jpg.236b1401862d229903e421d4d5fe4ca4.jpg

also near EGLC

13838104_Cessna_172SP-2020-05-2220_40_27.thumb.jpg.326fe8f64eeededfe7143a15d8da9fe2.jpg

a bit further away you can clearly see the border where detail decals start to be applied to the orthos

330039548_Cessna_172SP-2020-05-2220_43_59.thumb.jpg.8366b58dc6b44e679fad73a98488f25d.jpg

foreground with detail decals and no detail decals with all the huge blocky pixels visible in the background (closer towards EGLC)

5 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Are you sure this is a new bug? As I say, nothing was changed.. I'm not denying it's a bug,  I'm just amazed as nothing at all was changed in regards to the decals in the update and none of our testers picked this up

I've never noticed this before and I've been flying quite a bit to and from EGLC and when GB South received its latest update I've noticed the ugly ground textures right away and I wasn't looking for any changes to the orthos.

I was hoping (in vain) that the missing night lighting for the skyscrapers west of EGLC would be fixed or that the houses placed right on the train tracks and some half on the beach, half in the ocean near EGFF would be fixed and I was specifically looking at those things after the update.

I knew from the release notes not to expect changes to the orthos, but I've nevertheless noticed the first time near EGLC that the ground seemed to look worse after the update, but maybe it was like that all along (the human brain is sometimes strange in seeing or not seeing things it wants to).

Still, I can't un-see the ugly ground near EGLC now that I know about it and it irks me every time I'm in the area.

Thinking about it, there have actually been 2 updates to GBS, one was for EGLC. It's possible that you are seeing a bug nobody else reported from the previous update and only now you are noticing it, but it's not actually caused by this update, but the previous one.. Either way, it's noted as a bug

19 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Are you are using 11.50 beta? As far as the Westminster Bridge is concerned it wasn't in the list of fixes. Blurred ground texture is possibly XP 11.50 as far as i know there was no change to the quality of the ortho in the update

There is no support for XP Beta.

I show you  animated cars at Goodwood race track. This is in 11.41. I cannot show you the same in XP1150 as you are correct, they don't show and neither do the animated cable cars near EGLC. There will be no fixes until 11.50 becomes an official release out of bets

Capture.thumb.JPG.fbd9f512687dbdeab22f81592ca0da7d.JPG

Thanks Jon, I thought this may be the case as I am on the latest beta, I will look forward to updates from Xplane and then Orbx.

18 hours ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

2) Stick to 11.41

Thanks for the reply Tony, I thought these may be the issues, I will have to wait for the updates from Xplane and then Orbx. My GPU has 4 VRAM  but I won`t be updating it for a long while unfortunately other things need my money first lol.  Thanks again .

@FlyingDoDo - I've replicated those 4 pics that you uploaded (the ones around EGLC) and I can confirm those anomolies that appear in your pics also appear in mine. To be honest, it doesn't particularly bother me. I mean I had to go looking for them, but flying into and out of EGLC, I wouldn't have noticed something like that. There is quite a bit of 2D scenery in Orbx TE which does get quite blurry when you get close to it in any case. That's what 2D scenery does. But yes, I see your point regarding sharp differences in ground texture quality next to each other.

I suppose we could also point out trees half way across roads, buildings on the edge of slopes with half the building hanging in mid air. Roads along coastlines suddenly rolling at a 90 deg. angle following the contours of the coastal hills - things like that.

Archived