Global Waterclass Project?

bradley27

This has been suggested many times in the past but every time i fly in the sim i am constantly reminded at how poorly depicted coastlines (tropical/shallow/deep and rivers) actually are.

This kinda of project would majorly enhance the depth at which we all fly and it is 100% an area for blocky shallow water classes to be fixed and smooth out shallow to deep coastlines where necessary.

Is this something ORBX has looked at internally?

Good post Bradley thanks  !

It has been a pet peeves of mine too. I called several times over the years for  what could be an "OpenLC Waters of the World :)", tropical waters , silted waters, tidal basins, wet marshes,  etc. where they should be, all over the world !  And not only on the coastlines but for the inland rivers too.  I have kind of given up.  I hope that the OpenLC Asia team could look into that (old boys can dream, can't they ?) , I'd hate to continue seeing all the large silted rivers of Asia  dark blue.  This is something the FS20 supposed extensive use of  aerial imagery might  also help in.  

I tried to automate this back in the FS9 days.  The resolution is just too coarse.  While you can get most inland water a nice brown, any littoral transitions look awful.  Getting the shallows and tropical areas right, particularly reefs, impossible.  If the sim supported water class polygons, that would be cool, but the solution is photo texturing the water as you say.

This is LatinVFR Bermuda in P3D with a custom photo water texture I'm working on (trying to color match for way too long now as I've had no time).  You can see the water class north east that looks like garbage in comparison.

TXKF reef.jpg

17 hours ago, ScottGridley said:

Here's a couple of more shots because I really like them!

In the above shot, you can clearly see the color mismatch.  Such a thorn in my side!

These two clearly show the superiority of a photoreal approach...

Nice job. I hope the grain will be finer than 1.44 km2 in FS20 if they don’t use aerial/sat imagery everywhere.

14 hours ago, keino333 said:

Just like Home...Excellent..absolutely astonishing...

Do you there Keino?  Out of curiosity, which color looks better - around the island or further out along the reefs? ;)

I'm planning on releasing this as freeware as per PM - check back here or on LatinVFR forums.  No target release date as it's already way behind schedule as far as I'm concerned!

Best,

sg

11 hours ago, ScottGridley said:

Do you there Keino?  Out of curiosity, which color looks better - around the island or further out along the reefs? ;)

I'm planning on releasing this as freeware as per PM - check back here or on LatinVFR forums.  No target release date as it's already way behind schedule as far as I'm concerned!

Best,

sg

Outstanding Scott!

Greg

On 7/21/2019 at 9:13 PM, ScottGridley said:

Best,

sg

First and last are excellent representations.  But here are some recent drone shots

ByVYJ3C.jpg

EneRp01.jpg

oBUjwTq.jpg

Archived