How to get water reflections like in orbx demo videos?

I just watched the demo video of TrueEarth US Washington (gorgeous!), and I noticed that it contains very nice looking water textures and reflections. How did you guys achieve that? Is there some tool you used that I could use with other sceneries as well?  Thank you!

12 minutes ago, mobidutch said:

I just watched the demo video of TrueEarth US Washington (gorgeous!), and I noticed that it contains very nice looking water textures and reflections. How did you guys achieve that? Is there some tool you used that I could use with other sceneries as well?  Thank you!

Reflections can be turned on within Xplane graphic options but they are a quite high performance cost and there is a long standing bug that causes reflections to "bounce" at certain altitudes.

On 6/22/2019 at 1:03 PM, david broome said:

Reflections can be turned on within Xplane graphic options but they are a quite high performance cost and there is a long standing bug that causes reflections to "bounce" at certain altitudes.

Better way, is through UWXP 2.5.1...within its water section.  You can dial in a great living water scape...rolling waves by wind direction, sparkle...etc. My screen captures has that dialed in.

21 hours ago, BobT said:

You can play around with the water with this excellent utility. It's THE tool for upping your frame rate as well. Go through JV's suggestion...it is well worth it!

I use VMI twick VR and find it does little to offset the performance cost of reflections and the bouncing bug still remains whichever 3rd party free or paid you use. You can get better reflections by changing some values that control the water parameters certainly. It may be that reflections are more CPU intensive so where that is the bottleneck people who are most stretched there will note the greater performance degradation. I think the same applies with object shadows.

Hopefully Xplane Vulkan can eventually pass some of this stuff onto other threads so that they have far less impact.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, PNW User said:

Better way, is through UWXP 2.5.1...within its water section.  You can dial in a great living water scape...rolling waves by wind direction, sparkle...etc. My screen captures has that dialed in.

I have UWXP 2.5.1 also. I've not had much time to play around with it. Any chance of a screenshot ref your water section - Thanks

Archived