Symbolic Linking

pks1414

I know this has been covered and I currently have TEGB sitting in its own folder on a 500gb Samsung SSD. I am looking at all the goodies that are planned for the future and they aren't gonna fit. I do have 3 more SSD which I could move stuff off on to a 4tb HDD. Now the question is, before I go out and invest in a 1tb SSD could I use the space on my existing SSD drives and have multiple Symbolic links??? I know made my head hurt too or could I simply use the 4tb HDD for all of the Orbx TE Series and if I did what impact would it have on performance. System Specs are:-

I7700 Kaby Lake o/c to 4.8ghz

Evga RTX 2070 Black 8mb

32gb RAM

Numerous SSD and HDD drives

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I don't particularly want to spend £110 but if I have to so be it. At the moment I get 28+ fps over London and high 30's most other places

Cheers

Paul

Paul. The only real advantage of SSD is that it will load XP quicker at the onset of choosing your flight. During the running of the flight there is no real advantage. To answer you question regarding symbolic links, yes you can have many so there is no reason to not utilise all the space on various existing Disks that you have.

If you wish to have some suggestions as to how to best utilise disk space then I can assist if you wish. I have XP related files on 4 disks at present and have no problems at all regarding loading or flying with smoothness.

Things have moved on so to speak, I had a nice little refund of £500 out of the blue, so I'm thinking of shipping out the 1tb hdd that I have and replacing it with either a 2tb SSD (which will future proof me) or go for a 1tb M.2 pcie ssd, same price but much quicker. I don't think I need the speed that the M.2  will give me so I am Leaning towards the 2TB option, especially in view of what jjaycee said, any thoughts?

I'd go for the bigger storage. In play, slightly longer loading times but no real difference within the sim. I welcome the extra loading time myself, good excuse to make a quick pink gin until the sim is ready.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 2:47 PM, Fizzelle said:

I'd go for the bigger storage. In play, slightly longer loading times but no real difference within the sim. I welcome the extra loading time myself, good excuse to make a quick pink gin until the sim is ready.

What a GREATTTTTTTTTT idea :D

Archived