Flying in the Alps with OpenLC EU and Vector

dominique

I wish OrbX would make the Alps as a "fat" region encompassing the alpine districts in France, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. A truly beautiful region with a lot of simmers too ;). But in the meantime, with OpenLC EU along with Vector and an indispensable good mesh we can reasonably entertain the illusion that we fly there.  Even dead reckoning is possible as all the geographical landmarks needed can be found. Not that I fly that way mind you, I love my GPS. But still...

I fly here one of my favorite aircraft, the A2A T-6 Texan, from Saanen in Switzerland, with Sylvain Delepierre's nicely crafted freeware (airport and valleys) to Aosta in Italy.

Bravo Dominique, J'ai vraiment aimé la vidéo, bien fait!

Swiss is a beautiful place for flying

Your plane flies so smoothly, I enjoyed very much the ride

Bet Jack's going to like that yellow plane

Thanks for sharing

54 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Bravo Dominique, J'ai vraiment aimé la vidéo, bien fait!

Swiss is a beautiful place for flying

Your plane flies so smoothly, I enjoyed very much the ride

Bet Jack's going to like that yellow plane

Thanks for sharing

Merci Carlos.  The Texan is a good aircraft here, the canopy gives you a full panoramic view of the landscape.

51 minutes ago, Traveller said:

A beautiful flight. Despite the wind, I really enjoyed your landing.
Great job Dominique.:smile:

Thanks ! Landing the 6 is tricky in a gusting crosswind but the rollout is the real problem, treacherous I'd say.  I missed my three points by a foot (too late a roundup) but didn't swerve like a drunk after touching down, so I was happy. B)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, shermank said:

If you have one, can you please post your Fp? thanks.

sherm

Hi

I have no formal plan like a .pln or usr waypoints in the 750 to share. I did some Google work to draw my route then flew reconnaissance flights  and knew my way around when I did the final flight. It is a short flight.  Rougly this is what I flew  from memory :

- After taking off runway 08 at LSGK and taking a little altitude, I turned around above Gstaad to fly West to Château d'Oex/Moulins
- Then I turned left to L'Etivaz hamlet (you see it in GE if you zoom in)
- Then shortly after, I flew to the right toward Aigle in the Rhône valley, with the large forked lake on my right over the ridge
- Then to the left in the Rhône valley toward Martigny, flying by Mount le Catogne on its right to Orsières
- Then to the right in the two narrow valleys toward Courmayer along the Mont Blanc Massif (Italian side)
- Then to the left after Courmayer descending the valley toward Aosta following the river

I cruised at 9500 feet.

Tell me if anything isn't clear enough.

2 hours ago, shermank said:

Hi Dominique, 

thanks....I enjoyed the flight, piloting the A2A Cessna 182....

Sherm

Hi Sherm

Sweet ! Thanks for the feedback, the 182 is an excellent choice. I flew her quite a few times in the Alps. 

13 hours ago, raymondgoubet said:

Nice. I lived the  first 32 years of my life in there (time 1:49 to 2:03).

I am not fond to fly over places I know well. As good as they are, FS sceneries are still a little coarse and you get somewhat frustrated. I felt that OpenLC gave a good rendition of the Swiss landscape but I have not been there since I was a teenager. Do you get the feeling that the  Martigny/Sion area is convincing ?

1 hour ago, dominique said:

I am not fond to fly over places I know well. As good as they are, FS sceneries are still a little coarse and you get somewhat frustrated. I felt that OpenLC gave a good rendition of the Swiss landscape but I have not been there since I was a teenager. Do you get the feeling that the  Martigny/Sion area is convincing ?

I agree. I fly over places I know well to check them first; if not good I try to get add-ons, and for mountains areas I need a terrain elevation add-on too.  Martigny is just OK, but Sion is not.

Archived