KSUN elevation, parking spot 1

BrianV

Hi, I just installed the new KSUN but when selecting parking spot 1 (small airplane) it places it underground (see picture). However, if I select active runway as start position elevation is fine. Any ideas? Thanks... Correction: my fault, I was loading it from PlanGv3 that allows me to choose parking spot 1, if not using PlanG but P3D directly this parking spot is not an option.

2019-2-11_18-42-59-757.jpg

Similar experience ... P3Dv4 only sees N, S and SE parking yet Aivlasoft EFB / GSX sees a whole slew of parking spots (maybe the original P3D airport parking?).  GSX handling vehicles and crew/Passenger buses all arrive below the level of the airport.  I can see the 'ghost' of the vehicles arriving and hear the passenger loading soundfile.

Regards.

I am not having an elevation issue with the airport.  (P3Dv4).  However in the ADE file the starting runway points are reversed.  Also every time I "go to airport", my aircraft appears at 5800 ft., some 500 feet above the runway.  I edited the ADE file to correct the runway starting points but have not tested it yet.  Not sure why my starting point is 500 feet in the air.  Like the sloped runway, bummed about AI traffic.

Ken

Transaction ID: 5c61eb22177eb

I don't have the elevation issue but I took a look at the AFCAD and can confirm there are no parking spots, I have Global Base, OpenLC NA, VECTOR, and FTX CRM installed.

Also please make the static CRJ a separate option.instead of grouping it in with all the other aircraft, that thing is ugly.

Hi guys,

As KSUN uses a 3D mesh to replicate the sloped runway and differing elevations of the airport, we need to make a unique type of APX which does not provide the usual parking options.

A legacy of the ESP engine is that it doesn't allow for native sloped runways. Although we can create an APX for the airport, it will always be flat. Runways, taxiways, parking positions and fuel triggers will always be at the same level. The only option that can have a different elevation is a true 'Start' point which is different to a runway or parking position. These Start points are not connected to the APX's taxiway/runway/ATC system and so do not allow for AI.

Obviously, this isn't ideal and if it were in any way possible to make the sloping runway work with AI we certainly would - believe me, this would save us from a massive headache.

Although the Start points should work perfectly, we noticed during development that some smaller aircraft would fall the platform on loading. We made some changes to the terrain and on the strength of testing feedback, believed that this was resolved. I'll go back and try some different aircraft again in case we missed something.

As far as the number of parking positions is concerned, I believe that Plan G uses it's own database of airport facilities (or perhaps one that is generated on installation). Given that KSUN doesn't, technically, have any parking positions, the two will not match up. Again, if there were any way around this, we would have implemented it. Also, there's a limitation on the acutal names that can be allocated to Start points. The only allowable names are runway designations and compass points (ie N, NE, NW etc) which is why the list appears as it does. The name that we have used refer to the location of the parking area in which you will start. Each Start position will be aligned with a ground marking (with the exception of the hangar start).

For those of you still experiencing issues on starting under the platform, please ensure that your mesh is set to 5m. This is the same requirement for all Orbx products. Setting to a different number is likely to cause issues (not just at KSUN).

The static aircraft can be disabled via the control panel. At present there's no option to only disable the CRJ but we may add this in a patch.

I've checked, and indeed the runway ends appear to be incorrect. This will be rectified in a patch.

Hopefully this gives some insight into the hows and whys KSUN works in the way it does.

One last thing, we looked into the option of creating a 'Flat' version of the airport (similar to the option for EGPB Sumbugh) however this would require an entirely different set of compromises, all of which would result in product was not up to our vision for the airport.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg for the clarification, a really great scenery. Only one glaring omission, no airport coyotes (that I have seen)! We even have them at my local airport CYVR! A western North America feature.

Once again very nicely done, and it good to hear about some of the challenges that developers face.

Cheers Neil

I would prefer a flat option. Until P3D properly supports sloped runways, I don't think all these compromises are worth it. Losing AI is a big feature loss, IMHO.

The majority of airports in sim are not sloped even though in real world the runways are. Unless you are making an airport where a sloped runway is the main feature, like Courchevel, I just don't think it is necessary.

14 minutes ago, M-Sauce said:

I would prefer a flat option. Until P3D properly supports sloped runways, I don't think all these compromises are worth it. Losing AI is a big feature loss, IMHO.

The majority of airports in sim are not sloped even though in real world the runways are. Unless you are making an airport where a sloped runway is the main feature, like Courchevel, I just don't think it is necessary.

I love the sloped runway!  For the missing AI I just pretend it's a quiet day mid week.  Variety is the spice of life and it's so nice to fly into a runway that makes you do a little bit of adjusting as you prepare to kiss those wheels gently onto the tarmac.

21 minutes ago, M-Sauce said:

The main features that make KSUN, KSUN would be removed if we were to flatten the airport. KSUN stands out because of the different levels in terrain. Without that, it'll just feel like any other airport and many of its visuals just wouldn't look right.

Hello, 

An option for both groups will be great, like in Sumburgh. One ai compatible, one with sloped rwy. You'll have always some problems with sloped runways, even with no ai. Orbx can't change it, only LM can do that. 

For a lot of users, like me, it's a NO BUY airport, because of this feature. 

Please change you static aircraft concept Turbulent Designs, make it seperatly, airliners, cargo, GA. Like other orbx developers. That will be great. 

Thanks 

Urmel

3 minutes ago, Russell Linn said:

The main features that make KSUN, KSUN would be removed if we were to flatten the airport. KSUN stands out because of the different levels in terrain. Without that, it'll just feel like any other airport and many of its visuals just wouldn't look right.

KSUN will also look fantastic without an sloped rwy. That's not a must have for every airport. 

29 minutes ago, Urmel81 said:

KSUN will also look fantastic without an sloped rwy. That's not a must have for every airport. 

I'm aware that it's not a must have for every airport. We set out to make KSUN as accurate to the real thing as possible, so we opted to create a custom mesh to reflect the depth of the airport in reality. I appreciate that you. personally, might like it anyway, but we're reluctant to spend that amount of time in redesign and compromises when the result would be a heavy visual downgrade and a loss of "charm" in comparison to the real world airport.

Thanks,
Russ

1 minute ago, Russell Linn said:

I'm aware that it's not a must have for every airport. We set out to make KSUN as accurate to the real thing as possible, so we opted to create a custom mesh to reflect the depth of the airport in reality. I appreciate that you might like it anyway, but we're reluctant to spend that amount of time in redesign and compromises when the result would be a heavy visual downgrade in comparison to the real world airport.

Thanks,
Russ

Visual downgrade? This will not happen, because there are a lot sloped rwy airports modeled in flightsim, modeled with an flat rwy. They looking also nice. 

Of course, it will cost money to develop two versions. 

Is an sloped rwy an must have for this airport? No. There are some around the world where the sloped rwy is the main feature and customers are buying it because of it. 

I see it like this:

Only sloped rwy: around 20% won't buy it, you loose money. More money to spend for you, less to earn. 

Both versions: more time to work, everybody who is interested on this kind of airport will buy it. But you need more time and money for developing two versions. 

Flat rwy: more easy to develop, less money to develop. But everybody who is interested in this airport are buying it. You will sell more, because it's compatible with everybody's flightsim. 

No copy will be sold because of an sloped rwy, until it's working perfekt with everything. 

With your decision you have a nice, cost intensive feature, but you'll lose a lot of customers. 

You can tell that this is an must have feature for this airport, but a lot of people don't believe it. Both options or a flat one is the choice to make an airport like this. In my eyes. 

Thanks, maybe you will understand us customers for our view of this. 

Urmel

As well as the parking elevation problems (which l can work around for now) l also get problems taxiing to RWY31, my aircraft lifts about 2 metres of the ground at the third of the runway/taxiway towards 31 and stays levitated until the TO roll reaches that point again and tbe aircraft returns to the surface.

Archived