YTYA crashes

paddler

For the last two days I have attempted to use newly downloaded YTYA. Yesterday I attempted to load the sim in an A2A 172 on a ramp location and then on the runway in use but each time the sim loaded my plane immediately registered a crash. Today I flew into the airport to land on runway 17 but as soon as it touched down again P3D registered a crash. Any ideas on what is happening? This is not a problem I have suffered before. I am using P3D v4.4 and Win 10 latest update.

Thanks.

After reading another thread on YTYA I checked FTXC3 for any notification of updates or action required and there were none. I then verified the Orbx Libraries, which were recent, and a few new files were downloaded and installed. I will fly again tomorrow and see if the problem has been rectified. 

Doug,

I just tried starting a flight with a departure from YTYA after verifying the Library files, but the same crash. I will turn off crash detection. I dislike doing this as this is the only [lace that I have this problem and I want aspects as real as possible. I wonder if this is a problem for anyone else?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Doug.

2 hours ago, paddler said:

Doug,

I just tried starting a flight with a departure from YTYA after verifying the Library files, but the same crash. I will turn off crash detection. I dislike doing this as this is the only [lace that I have this problem and I want aspects as real as possible. I wonder if this is a problem for anyone else?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Doug.

Whichever sim you are using, do you really think the sim handles crashes in a realistic manner?  Many folks do not and turn crash detection off, with no ill effects.  After all, we know when we crash and proceed with whatever follow-up action we wish,  start over, end the scenario, or whatever.  Encountering a crash box never enters the picture.

With regard to P3Dv4.4...

I too experience an aircraft crash detection when starting a P3D v4.4 scenario at YTYA Tyabb Airport parking and runways and when attempting a landing on the runways. In addition, to a similar experience at NZGS Gisborne Airport that I resolved by deactivating the “3D Grass around runways” option.

Furthermore, I empathise with "paddler" and "sloppysmusic" regarding their reasonable expectation that developers (particularly commercial ones), will ensure crash boxes are not applied to inappropriate objects or applied incorrectly to objects. Unfortunately, I'm not an experienced developer and can't comment on how much time is required to ensure the correct application of this P3D feature.

However, the P3Dv4.4 SDK has instructions about how to use the collision detection function and the FSDeveloper forum has many discussions and solutions to ensuring these collision detection features are implemented correctly.

No Crash

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php
Removing crash boxes from geometry allows you to create portions of your model that the aircraft will not crash into.  This is especially handy when working with platforms. It is important to separate the geometry that does not require crash boxes from the rest of the model.

The Attach Tool
https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/modeling/3ds_max/tools/3ds_max_tools_overview.html#The Attach Tool

The Attach tool included in this SDK is a MAXScript plug-in that allows you to attach special effects, library objects, visibility conditions, and set active mouse rectangles for use with virtual cockpits, to your 3D models.  It also allows you to create landable platforms, remove crash boxes from parts of your model and attach beacons or other simulation driven objects to your models.
The attach tool is available in the Prepar3D Tools drop-down menu.

r_ToqvOqlxNtBDqs6B6uaxnEB9g_87jO0y8mL4yFkcMt_AWH2eyd7dQgmd2jCixMbGdoW9ZRoJV3lXgzE5d19eXwRCjW_v8Wo3aIRKvh6gLmb6zwpNtfCLWY0bDXXnaP3Git0sz6

So, the workaround usually offered to the ordinary user is to “turn off crash detection”. This indicates a reluctance to address the developer’s incompetence or lack of diligence because of commercial restraints to resolve these issues.

The reluctance also shows that they don’t understand that there are instances when operating our virtual vehicles in the virtual space that we may not know we’ve “hit” something that requires a consequence. Therefore, we don’t experience the consequence and the “reality” of a consequence goes unnoticed. (It's not about the reality of a vehicle's damage.)

In all cases, I think these “object collision” issues should be directed to the developer for investigation and recommendations to “turn off crash detection” be considered a workaround, not the solution.

Archived