Why is FTX Australia a Terrible Performer ?

Gabe777

Strange result indeed? I have never had poor frame rates for Australia as a region. I believe that some individual Orbx airports such as YMML can have slow rates but as I say, not Australia as a region. One question, what rate do you consider to be slow?

About half the FPS I get in the UK and Norway - and a third of what I enjoy in Alaska.

Basically, I think it just old. Going from Normal to Sparse scenery at YRED, for example, removes ALL the scenery - completely !

It is essentially impossible to scale the scenery.

Sure hope V2 is improved, but given scenery is going the same way as FSX, making like "Parkinson's Law", I doubt it.

Hi there,

actually, FTX Australia has the least data density (= detail) of any of the FTX Regions while using the same methods and SDK tools as all others. Aside from Melbourne and Brisbane (with the payware airports installed) I don't recall any complaints about performance in general.

Not sure what's different on your system to cause such issues. Are you using any third-party add-ons for Australia together with FTX AU?

Cheers, Holger

I am using an old system,(not been updated since about 2012), and the Aus scenery is the first that Orbx produced some nine or so years ago, so one can expect a few problems.. and a few is all I get.. The old Aus scenery looks great on my Prepar3d v3.4 and my FR is quite acceptable.. I think perhaps you need to look at you system and settings.  Terry

11 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

actually, FTX Australia has the least data density (= detail) of any of the FTX Regions while using the same methods and SDK tools as all others. Aside from Melbourne and Brisbane (with the payware airports installed) I don't recall any complaints about performance in general.

Not sure what's different on your system to cause such issues. Are you using any third-party add-ons for Australia together with FTX AU?

Cheers, Holger

Interesting you should say that,  as I was starting from YRED which I didn't realise was right next to the Brisbane area... and yes I have the full Brisbane airport (and it is very nice with the docks etc.) 

It may be similar to the Heathrow Problem in the UK, whereby flying anywhere in the SE of England gives very low performance because of the scenery / autogen / traffic etc, at Heathrow, Gatwick and London City.

I will try Alice Springs next and hope it's better.

Thnx

P.S. PLEEEEEEZE start introducing some type of scenery configurator for full regions and airports -- like you have with the vectors tool....... So it can be done.

Example: I get the same framerate performance at YRED as Brisbane.

But.... if I reduce the scenery at YRED from 'Normal' to 'Sparse'..... it goes from, like, 30 hangars and loads of other stuff, to ZERO.... not even a Tower !!!! 

This All On... or All Off scenario, is just plain... annoying, for want of a better word.

You may sell more regions as well. I have lost count of how many people I know who have just stopped using full regions. And of course, regions are required for airports..... or whatever it is now ('highly recommended' ?)

But regardless, I am just trying to be constructive here.

SOME degree of scaling.... either via a control panel (which some airports have, to varying degrees), or via the P3D settings themselves, would be good for everyone.

Regards.

Archived