SSD: P3D or Orbx?

RCFlyer

OK.....Then in my opinion...….both.

You'll see a large speed improvement in both sims......there is no pat answer to your question.

You will have to try it out for yourself.....if one seems better than the other, go that way.

It seems that what you are looking for is someone saying "there is a 78.8% speed increase with p3d, and a 85.9% speed increase with FSX."

Maybe they will.

Hope so.....

Cheers !!!!

Hi Danny

In my opinion, I would put your OS and P3D on the SSD, your in flight sim performance will not improve with Orbx on the SSD, only the initial load times will be faster if your Orbx or other scenery is on an SSD.

But because the main Orbx folder must reside in the root P3D folder, you will need to use a method such as described in the link below to move it to another drive if that is what you desire.

Cheers

Doug

Personally I use 3xSSDs in my system and a couple of HDDs .

My OS, P3D 4.4 and XPlane 11 are each installed onto their own 240GB SSD (approx 75AUD) for something like a Galax with  520MBs Read / 500 MB/s write performance. My ORBX scenery is installed on a mid range (WD Black) 2TB HDD with 64MB Cache and 7200 RPM, and I have a larger WD Blue for a cheaper backup option. Overall I find this to be a great compromise between cost and performance, I experience very good load times and great results in benchmark tests. That said; I'm currently looking into purchasing 2x 1TB SSDs...... one for XPlane 11 just because I need more space for TrueEarth ;) and one for P3D so I can transition the application and the scenery onto the same drive. 

There is no right and wrong answer here, there are far more things that affect your performance than disk I/O performance alone, and often the deciding factor comes down to justifying the cost of the SSDs in the first place. Just remember that not all SSD's are equal, they each offer varying degrees of performance so do your homework.

If I could give you one piece of advice though, it would be to place your Operating System and P3D onto separate SSD's, and to make sure you do not install P3D in the root of the 2nd SSD. This will ensure you have a PC with fast start up times and fast I/O to the system page file, with fast load times of the P3D application and its core content, whilst also providing a level of isolation between the OS and P3D, making upgrades to each much easier moving forwards. 

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour à tous,

S'est la première fois que je poste sur se forum car j'ai un gros souci de mémoire système en faite mon disc dur et plein 

Je cherche une âme sympa qui pourrai pour me conseillé.

J'ai énormément d'orbx je vole sur prepar 3D v4.4 sur un pc avec un i7 6ème génération carte graphique nvidia gtx 1080 Ti sous windows 10 pro

barret DDR4 8 GO mémoire.

Voilà à peu prêt sur ma configuration périphérie hotas warthog ,oculus rift.

Je ne peu plus joué le simu coupe le pc a chaque fois que j'allume prepar 3d j'ai nettoyé mon disc a plusieurs reprise mais rien n'y fais .

Que dois-je faire?

Niveau assez moyen à l'AIDE

MERCI

Hi, welcome to the forums

I believe your 8gb of DDR4 is not enough for the rest of your system. Also feel free to check out the french speaking forum. :)

Google translate:

Bonjour, bienvenue sur les forums

Je pense que vos 8 Go de DDR4 ne suffisent pas pour le reste de votre système. N'hésitez pas également à consulter le forum francophone ci-dessous.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/46-french-forum/

Archived