Reapplying orbx products after p3d 4.4?

SoJourned

Hi there,

Im about to upgrade p3d 4.3 to 4.4 by uninstalling and reinstalling the three components, client, content and scenery.

After doing this in the past ive simply run ftx central to update any libraries etc. however this post on avsim seems to recommend reinstalling global, vector and anything else that may replace textures.

Is there any recommendation from orbx on what to do with global, vector and regions when updating to 4.4?

Thanks

Hello,

The P3D installer only removes the files that it installed, so unless the P3D folder

is also deleted, all added files, including Orbx files will remain.

The only Orbx products that replace default textures are FTX Global Base and HD trees.

Therefore both of those would need to be reinstalled.

Indeed some customers find that after installing a P3D update they see night textures with day textures.

This does sometimes require the reinstallation of the relevant Open LC product, though mostly

it can be fixed by the "Verify files" function.

Installing the Orbx libraries will tie everything together and add back the other components.

These days, that can be done using the "Verify files" function.

After installing P3D v4.4 client ORBX FTX Central fails to load, even after deleting and reinstalling FTX Central. When attempting to start (or to reinstall) I get the following error message:

"An unexpected error occurred. Please send Orbx staff the %LocalAppData%\Orbx\ftxc3.log"

ftxc3.log

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Installing the Orbx libraries will tie everything together and add back the other components.

These days, that can be done using the "Verify files" function.

Hi,

but when you do the "verify files" action, all your changes you`ve made before for compatibility of some addons are overwritten and have to be changed again. Thats a bad work when you have many addons.

Hi Nick,

for example for some Aerosoft-Addons for Airports you have to deactivate some ORBX-Files for Landmarks, which are also included in the addon.

Example: EDDS and GES:

In order to achieve compatibility with GES, some Stuttgart and GES files need to be deactivated as listed in your compatibility-forum:

DEACTIVATE: (by renaming from .bgl to .off)

>>> in \ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_GES_05_SCENERY\scenery
ADE_FTX_GES_EDDS.OFF

ADE_FTX_GES_EDDS_CVX.OFF

FTX_GES_EDDS_objects.OFF

DEACTIVATE: (by renaming from .bgl to .off)

>>> in [Prepar3D folder]\Ecosystem\Aerosoft\German Airports - Stuttgart P3DV4\Scenery
EDDS_CROPS-NE_LandClass.OFF
EDDS_CROPS-NW_LandClass.OFF
EDDS_OBJ-FMT-Telekom.OFF
EDDS_OBJ-Fernsehturm.OFF
EDDS_OBJ-KW-Altbach.OFF
EDDS_OBJ-FMT-Waldenbuch.OFF

When you do the verify-action, you have those files again in your sim.

Long ago, I made a suggestion that instead of renaming the files, they should be moved into a folder

named for example "OFF".

Then in the event of a reinstallation, or Verify files as there is now, once that is done, the files can be

copied back to the folder.

This will highlight them and pressing delete will remove them all at once.

Some really helpful advice here for those making the 'leap' to 4.4

Having spent all day on this, I think it would be really helpful to pin a 'useful tip' topic which explains which Orbx products to 'verify' or re-install as mentioned above.

I have now got things working well, and would only add to the above that there are some very popular payware airports (not Orbx) that are not yet compatible, and use duplicate file (runway) issues that crash 4.4.

It would of course be sensible to check with the vendors before installing, but you know how it is...

So if you get 

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.4.16.27077, time stamp: 0x5bfdbb35
Faulting module name: facilities.dll, version: 4.4.16.27077,

in your error log with P3D CTD then uninstall the last airport you installed, delete your scenery.cfg file and restart P3D.

I'd only add that for me Verify files takes about 10 times as long as uninstalling and reinstalling in FTXc.

Archived