YMML / YSTW Performance - early incredible results using new TextureFlow tech

John Venema

Hello all,

In the ongoing search for the best performance, we've been working behind the scenes for the past two years to find ways to optimize how FSX deals with models and textures. We're learning a lot from the YBBN project, research by team members, and also using different toolsets. We've recently uncovered some new optimisation techniques which staggered us.

The results we have in the sim now are amazing!

We're calling this tech "TextureFlow"

Posted Image

After putting the airport through TextureFlow tuning, I am now running the current version of YMML easily at 40FPS with 'sensible' slider settings. On my overclocked i7 (see my specs below), with every single slider maxxed (yes, *all* of them), I am getting a solid 18FPS in every direction even with wild turns. Even more amazing is that the new 7cm version is performing just as well, so that bodes really well for YMML V2 later this year. I'll be putting up a developer blog video soon showing the new FPS in real time.

UPDATE: I have also done a 10 laps around YSTW with TextureFlow applied and all sliders maxxed, full AI, and I get a minimum of 50% better performance and zero texture lag.

So TextureFlow does two big things:  1. Gets rids of texture drawing lag completely 2. Improves FPS for complex airports with large model libraries.

Now the good news!

We'll make this TextureFlow optimized version of YMML and YSTW available for FREE as a patch for all current customers. You'll be able to enjoy a slick, speedy YMML and YSTW across most PCs now. We will progressively roll out this new TextureFlow tech to other texture-heavy airports as well.

We are thrilled to be able to reward your patience and loyalty with this fantastic new performance enhancing tech. Trust me, it will be worth it!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very Very exciting news indeed! A blockbuster announcement to say the least. Will all Orbx products eventually get the texturefow treatment? I think this is a major plus for Orbx. This has wide and deep implications with the future of FSX. This is great news for the flying community. Imagine the entire globe with Orbx / TextureFlow treatment?  With Orbx T/F FSX will become a new sim. Keep at it you are doing fantastic work!

Sounds really good.  Most impressive is the continued support for existing products, even when a new version will eventually be released for purchase.  Just outstanding customer / fan support.

Cheers.

Thanks John

You mentioned a "YMML V2" version and a "Texture Flow" optimised version of YMML in your post - are they one and the same or are they two separate products?

Cheers  :)

Jason

Upcoming versions:

YMML V1.5 - TextureFlow Edition  - Same as you have now but with TextureFlow added - FREE, as soon as Marty can find time to finish the TextureFlow work.

YMML V2.0 - Completely new version, with 7cm ground textures, new expanded terminals, buildings and also FTX Aero and TextureFlow. - Payware, Before end of 2010. Small $9.90 upgrade fee for existing customers, usual A$39.95 for new customers

John,

If you where to give precentage increase of Texture Flow vs Non Texture flow what would it be? Would you ever consider selling this to other dev's or making it availabe to FSX users so that we could run other scenery's with it? Many of us use Aerosoft, Fly Tampa, ect. I know they are your competition but they arn't totally in your market right? + competition is good for the consumer sir. Thanks.

It all sounds great JV - I use YMML a fair bit due to its spectacular dynamism, even though it can bring my machine to its knees ... the visual spectacle is awesome.

Will await these developments with huge gobs of anticipation, and an ever increasing pulse rate.  Bring it all on.

Cheers

John,

If you where to give precentage increase of Texture Flow vs Non Texture flow what would it be? Would you ever consider selling this to other dev's or making it availabe to FSX users so that we could run other scenery's with it? Many of us use Aerosoft, Fly Tampa, ect. I know they are your competition but they arn't totally in your market right? + competition is good for the consumer sir. Thanks.

TextureFlow is a design/build stage Orbx tech which is used during the airport build phase. That means it's not a simple addon which you apply to any airport or scenery, sorry.

As for a % performance increase, it's too early to tell, but doubling of FPS seems to be the norm using medium slider settings.

:) This is great news.  I've been enjoying YCDR recently and have enjoyed the Melbourne region, including YMAV,  immensely over the years (met you at Avalon) although challenged by YMML performance at times.  This is great news as I want to hang off upgrading my PC for 12 months if possible.  I await PNW and hope I can afford it and assume it will incorporate your new Textureflow technique, if not immediately but soon.  Keep up the good work guys, but please don't forget YSCB and the nations capital.

cheers

I will release a public beta demo of YSTW Tamworth in a day or two ok? YMML will take a bit longer since its model libraries are more complex particularly with all the aerobridges etc.

Just finished doing 10x laps around a beta TextureFlow YSTW Tamworth with all sliders maxxed, double my usual FPS.

This is pretty revolutionary, really.

Sounds like THE ANSWER.....excellent. I hear what you are saying about it being built in to the airports. Not understanding the tech

would it be possible to apply this across the board to all ORBx scenery areas .

Sounds like THE ANSWER.....excellent. I hear what you are saying about it being built in to the airports. Not understanding the tech

would it be possible to apply this across the board to all ORBx scenery areas .

The plan is to apply it to anything possible, including autogen libraries and all our airports. It's still early days yet, but we're excited about the potential here.

Guest J van E

I'm speechless... This sounds really awesome! A revolution! Great stuff! Can't wait to see it all happening on my own computer. ;)

This is really interesting news, sounds like and extremely significant discovery/development. Sounds like quite a few people will end up being able to run at higher quality levels than they can currently, or at very least be able to stick with current settings but expierence smoother flights around the Orbx airports. Congratulations to all invloved in this breakthrough, you must all be well chuffed ATM.  ;D

Why can't I work for a company like Orbx?  ::) I'm available if you want me.  :-*8);D

Hi John and the ORBX Team,

What great news ;D  I too have not used YMML because of Frame Rate and stutter problems. I have bought it, but only tried flying out of it twice. But with your continued efforts to look after your customers; and not "rip them off", I will continue to purchase all your products as they come out. You guys are just great and don't sit on your laurels.

I am about to move off the farm near Bruny Island and will be moving to the suburbs of Devonport in four weeks time.... this will give me so much more time to enjoy this fantastic hobby of ours. 37 acres was a bit too much to look after in springtime.... now with the proceeds a new computer is also on the cards.

Cheers

Hank

Christmas 2010 already !!!

Bl**dy  magnificent ... a big thanks for your efforts.

I love your original YMML , haven't upgraded the grass to it as the download is too big for my

internet connection ,  WILL (repeat) WILL  be getting the new YMML .

Is it possible to purchase these upgrades on disc ?

Cheers from an estatic customer

Karol

Archived