YMML / YSTW Performance - early incredible results using new TextureFlow tech

John Venema

I don't quite follow the story with the email etc.

anyway, congratulations to FTX, opening up more opportunities for FSXusers, I'm in the middle of an upgrade, graphics card done and a processor to go in a few month hopefully.

this is another incentive to keep at FSX for further investment, looking forward to it.

johnny

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just another jealous developer who never got it right. Someone else did.

If he or it only knew how much joy Orbx has brought to people like me who for over a decade wanted this type of sim experience.

If I could only learn how to clone my drives, I'd be a lot happier.  :D

Thanks for the sentiments shown here guys, and I know it's in the right spirit of supporting Orbx.

But please, let's not mention that 'incident' again or I'll lock the topic. We've moved beyond that now and there's no need to stir up any ill feelings ok?

I added YMML to my FTX portfolio recently and I too have a stuttering low FPS scene using my normal FTX flight setting. The massive killer in my case is having Scenery Objects set to my normal Extremely Dense setting. If I back off to Sparse I get 50-70fps on unlimited. I can also run autogen on extremely dense at that rate, but if I go up one notch on Scenery objects i get poor performance. Normally for all scenery I have never gone below Extreme for Scenery Objects, and autogen is the area that I have to change settings depending on flight area.

YMML in my own experience seems to be the opposite.

Do I read correctly that TecFlow addresses exactly that area i.e. the scenery objects?

Hey, John, Jay and the crew -

Been awhile since I've been to the boards, which just goes to show you what? I don't know! ::)  But I'm here now via a link posted on REX primarily because of the Nick (who) Needham? issue. I won't rehash because wiser chaps have said it better than I, but I did want to congratulate you Aussie mates for once again breaking through the bar and setting it higher. This is ALWAYS fun to watch in this community. Can't wait 'til is available in all Orbx packages.

So kudos, mates. As for the negativity typifying one individual...we have saying here across the pond that they'd make more sense if you somehow extract there head from out of "where the sun don't shine!"

I added YMML to my FTX portfolio recently and I too have a stuttering low FPS scene using my normal FTX flight setting. The massive killer in my case is having Scenery Objects set to my normal Extremely Dense setting. If I back off to Sparse I get 50-70fps on unlimited. I can also run autogen on extremely dense at that rate, but if I go up one notch on Scenery objects i get poor performance. Normally for all scenery I have never gone below Extreme for Scenery Objects, and autogen is the area that I have to change settings depending on flight area.

YMML in my own experience seems to be the opposite.

Do I read correctly that TecFlow addresses exactly that area i.e. the scenery objects?

Correct. Textureflow massively improves the performance of the scenery objects. So its a matter of reporcessing our files though in some cases we need to do some rework.

We are still carrying out tests on what it can be used on and what i can't. But as we get a much better understanding on what we can and can't do we will be applying it to all our products where and appropriate.

But we must also be realistic there are some things such as AI which cannot be improved. And a gentle reminder is that AI is the single biggest performance killer in FSX so no matter how efficient we make the scenery using 100% AI traffic will have a performance hit particularly at the large airports.

For AI  the FSX world is in need to a complete refesh of Ai development. Sadly we cannot do everything so we are at the mercy of the AI aircraft developers

Will YBBN be the first airport to come with TextureFlow John?

A big airports with big fps =  ;D ;D ;D

Most likely the two PNW airports 7S3/1S2 and YBUD Bundeberg will be the first with TextureFlow integrated out of the box.

Hi John,

it's been said before but i'll say it myself; kudos to you, we need more developers like you to spread the excitement (which was lost once microsoft reported they were closing ACES studio)..... now for my question... Will you be implementing thiis new technology into your new Zealand project?

For AI  the FSX world is in need to a complete refesh of Ai development. Sadly we cannot do everything so we are at the mercy of the AI aircraft developers

Just Flight TrafficX, MyTrafficX and UT2 all provide native FSX SDK SP2 authored AI models to a greater or lesser extent.  In the context of FSX as a platform, what more can AI vendors do?  Here's an opportunity for TextureFlow maybe?  One of my biggest problems I experience is the slow build up of textures on aircraft after a switch to a  busy scene.

Simon

I've posted my results over in the Beta test section, but I thought I'd add something I learned from this beta here.  Hope this is the right place, but it is connected to this post, as it is this post that made me discover it.

First, let me say I really like the results of this new technology and REALLY look forward to seeing it on all the airports, and particularly the new PNW airports (that I await eagerly...love those video blogs of them). 

The thing I learned though, is just how much difference flying unlimited frame rates can make.  I have ALWAYS flown with frames locked (at either 24 or 30).  I have a decent to low end machine (E8400, 9800GT) and run FSX fine with pretty high settings, but the payware airports I have (Caloundra, Coffs, Aeropelican) were hard on my FPS, even with everything set as suggested. 

I flew Tamworth with frame rates at unlimited because that's what the test called for.  I flew it again with frames locked and noticed that although I was mostly in the low 20s and often locked at 24, I was also often down around 14FPS, which is a number I seem to see a lot in the other airports.  So I flew around with frames at unlimited and noticed I stayed up in the 20s for the most part. 

So I quickly took test flights at all the other airports in the A2A Cub and my new Bird Dog (LOVE that plane) and found that with frame rates at unlimited, I was mostly up in the 20s again, and often in the 30s, and sometimes in the 40s.  So, I started switching back and forth (you can do this in flight with no reloading of scenery) and I saw that even when my frame rates were in the high 20s, if I put on the lock at 24, instead of pegging there, FPS dropped to low 20s and high teens.  Then, setting it at unlimited again, they immediately jumped back up to mostly above 24. 

Try the test for yourself and see what happens on your machine.

All the airports are now quite flyable for me, and that's with fairly high settings on GA and recreational boat traffic.  Not always seeing traffic, of course, and when I do, FPS drops, but I've found these airports to be a whole new experience for me, and that's without Texture Flow. 

So, it's frames set at unlimited for me from now on, and I'll put up with the little graphic costs of that significant boost in FPS. 

Guest J van E

I have always flown with unlimited frames in windowed mode, and would never limit my FPS. Thanks for the feedback, and glad too see it's making your flights more enjoyable :)

This is getting completely OT, but I suppose you have a specific reason for running FSX in windowed mode...?

I have always flown with unlimited frames in windowed mode, and would never limit my FPS. Thanks for the feedback, and glad too see it's making your flights more enjoyable :)

This is getting completely OT, but I suppose you have a specific reason for running FSX in windowed mode...?

Two: better performance, and because I mainly test, not fly. That means during tests I am free to multi-task and check email, forums, other apps etc on my 2nd 30" monitor.

Guest J van E

Two: better performance, and because I mainly test, not fly. That means during tests I am free to multi-task and check email, forums, other apps etc on my 2nd 30" monitor.

Thanks. I'll see what it does for performance on my rig.

Archived