Where has Uluru vanished?

YAMBA1

I  am in the process of of reinstalling  FSX  (Deluxe Ed) and all  the ORBX addons .  I am  not sure if this question should  be  directed under this topic  as some problem are also found within FTX central v3.3.1.4 

1) I  installed  ORBX Libraries , FTX Global base Pack, FTX Global Vector and Region Australia V 4.10 .  Most programs loaded fine ,  except  where did  Ayers Rock   disappeared to?  .  I can see the Olgas in the distance  but not the Rock . Some  other parts  of this lovely continent are also missing  ,  I know they were there in my  previous install. All sliders in the FSX  settings are set to ORBX Global User Guidelines .

2) I verified the files  via central  to see if nothing was  missing.  Now here  comes another crunch . 2 out of 3  Central tells me the product installed is up to  date only to find on a other check that  some 70 to 100 MB are being  downloaded. 

3) In FSX the scenery library  show  all FTXAU05 to FTXAU48  but  those files  do  not appear in under the Library insertion Point in FTX  Central. Only the default "FTX" is visible  . Is this Normal  ?  Could this be  the reason of the missing objects ? All other ORBX entries in the correct order are there: OPENLC, VECTOR and  AEC

Your help would be appreciated

Charles 

FTXAU.JPG.43a2f900e13888eb2189515d5e1794d9.JPG

1850332350_FXTCentral.JPG.3226a8cc899e40b42e0a3f65ef3c1bcf.JPG

Hi Charles

Is your FSX Deluxe updated to SP2 or Acceleration?

1 hour ago, YAMBA1 said:

3) In FSX the scenery library  show  all FTXAU05 to FTXAU48  but  those files  do  not appear in under the Library insertion Point in FTX  Central. Only the default "FTX" is visible  . Is this Normal  ?

Yes this is normal, the "FTX" represents the entire block of FTX entries.

Cheers

Doug

Hi YAMBA1,

I have "OZx Olgas v3.0" which includes YAYE Connellan Airport, and often see Uluru vanish when I fly out of YAYE about midway towards the Olgas, if I fly back towards Connellan or towards where Uluru should be, it magically reappears. Don't know if this is what is happening for you, but it is strange that these objects, "Uluru /Olgas" and or the presence of the OZx Olgas YAYE scenery cause one or the other to vanish.  Incidently my scenery complexity slider is set to max, My LOD Radius is 6.500000

Both the Olgas and  Uluru are PR custom models, I wonder if that plays a role in the viewing distance or location between one or the other.

Edited as requested - Nick:)

On 11/3/2018 at 3:33 PM, Jeff Gilmour said:

I have "OZx Olgas v3.0" which includes YAYE Connellan Airport, and often see Uluru vanish when I fly out of YAYE about midway towards the Olgas, if I fly back towards Connellan

Hi Jeff,

Thank  so much  for your reply.  Since Ayers Rock is part  of ORBX Australia  it  should  be there . YAYE-Olgas v 3.0  is not an  OzX product but created  by  a fellow name Etienne . I  have this free addon also loaded  and the scenery of this addon just stops short of the Rock . I did uninstall this addon   but  to no avail. As  you said  on my previous set up  I experienced the same  problem of the Rock vanishing when flying towards the Olgas. I often  got  lost on my return trip as visual flying  is near impossible. Just Red Dirt everywhere!   I think my  problem lays  with ORBX Aus

Regards 

Charles 

On 11/3/2018 at 3:12 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Uluru is a custom model so perhaps the scenery complexity slider is at a setting too low for it to display?

Hi  Holger,

Thank  you  for the  advice,  However  the  setting were to the max as  much  as I am allowed without  crashing  the computer I will try  to reload ORBX AU  from  my backup and  see if  that solves the problem

Kindly

Charles 

Hi Charles,

I've been flying around (or should I say slewing) the  vicinity of YAYE, Uluru and The Olgas for most of the afternoon, trying to nut out what might be happening. I don't think it is a setting or Orbx/FTX installation issue as mine are not limited at all and still have these 2 objects vanishing or appearing individually or appearing complete in the one overhead view.

Confirmation of what others experience might confirm your setup is operating normally, and that everyone has the same FSX problem related to the simulators display engine.

There seems to be a range or radius around each object at which point one disappears and the other remains, if you fly toward the vanished object's position it will reappear for a short flight distance or radius, it will remain visible, the closer you get to one the more likely the other will vanish.

If you triangulate from the center of each object - that is, YAYE airport, Uluru, and The Olgas, then draw a circle around each one at about 4 - 5km you will have a range at which point each object vanishes and the other appears,  indeed the center of the triangulation all objects will be present and visible. Think of each circle as the viewing range, you should be able to see the object at the center of the circle when flying inside its range, when outside the circle or object range or beyond the center of triangulation you might alternately see only the Object within the circled range of the adjacent circle. This could be a deficiency with the FSX engine or the Objects properties set by the maker. 

I can only surmise that each object has an optimised draw distance set in its object properties, possibly to maintain reasonable FPS, there does not seem to be any view clipping.

In this image my aircraft is in the center of the white shaded area, YAYE, Uluru & The Olgas are all present and visible, moving outside their visual zone each one will vanish depending on aircraft position in relation to each zone or shared visual range.

2018-11-4-16-25-11-986.jpg

15 hours ago, Jeff Gilmour said:

I've been flying around (or should I say slewing) the  vicinity of YAYE, Uluru and The Olgas for most of the afternoon, trying to nut out what might be happening. I don't think it is a setting or Orbx/FTX installation issue

Hi  Jeff

Wow ,  You did  go  to a lot of trouble  trying to figure out  what is wrong.  I like your graphic , a true  Professional. And  YES a concur  with you , in my previous install   those  objects seems to vanish  within a certain distance .

Now  for the sake of trying to locate   the Rock , as it's not to far from the airport and  from the Uluru Village Resort   it should be seen  , which is  not the case . So I set  all sliders  to Max and  from a certain  point of view situated close to the  Ayers village,  I can see the Olgas , The Airport, and the Ayers Rock Resort, but  not the Rock itself. 

My logic tell me  that  ORBX Au  does not show the object and this irrespective  of the  YAYE-Olgas v3.0 uninstalled or loaded. 

I was hoping  to get an  answer  from ORBX  tech which  is so far  hasn't  responded 

I post 2 pictures taken exactly in the same  spot and far  nearer to where the  rock is supposed to be  than  the Olgas 

Best Regards 

Charles 

1996096021_AyersOlgas.thumb.jpg.bf27ae3d4d2c619b763e66ae83056020.jpg

I just made a U turn  and the airport is on the right side of the plane The olgas  in the back ground  ( Zoom to Max) 

1273380904_UluruVillageNoRock.thumb.JPG.e811b651f527e95350a57167260f74de.JPG

Same picture  but different angle  I am  about to fly over the  village  NO  ROCK  in sight! ( Zoom Normal) 

Hi Charles,

My logic tell me  that  ORBX Au  does not show the object 

Actually, it's the other way around: Uluru is a default model that FTX Australia doesn't exclude, we just change the landscape around it. The default placement file is located in the folder named "1005 Base" in your scenery library menu. Assuming that entry is active you should see Uluru. If not then some other add-on at higher display priority probably excludes the object.

FYI, the object library containing the Uluru model, named landmark.bgl, resides in "\Scenery\Global\scenery" and its textures in the parallel "\texture" subfolder (UluruDetail.dds and UluruDetail_lm.dds). 

As Jeff points out correctly, the model does have a maximum display distance beyond which it vanishes. In my second screenshot that point is reached when I move a few hundred yards further away from the airport and thus Uluru.

Cheers, Holger 

FTX AUsp4 - Uluru from south.jpg

FTX AUsp4 - Uluru from above YAYE.jpg

Hi Charles,

If I can make a small suggestion with regard to your scenery library, shown in your Original Post #1. It shows "Addon Scenery" at position 10, located above the ORBX/FTX Block. If you move the "Addon Scenery" entry > down < to a position between "Reno" & "Propeller Objects" that would be the normal location for the "Addon Scenery" entry.

Try also to install "AU Holgermesh" if you haven't already done so. (its probably hiding in a position above 10) Installation of "AU Holgermesh" & FTXC sync will place FTXAA_HOLGERMESH in a position immediately above FTXAA_ORBXLIBS.

Thanks  everyone who  so kindly  responded  to my problem.  And yes all the files were  present in my setup  (1005 Base, Landmark.bgl, UluruDetails.dds x2) moved  the addon scenery, add the holgermesh, and  still no rock. 

After some sleepless night I decided  to start all over again . Luckily I had ORBX files  backups  which made things  a bit easier. But this time  I did the crucial files  in  a particular order  that is:

1. FSX and acceleration 1&2
  2. ORBX Central
  3. Libraries
  4. Global
  5. Global vector
  6. FTX Australia 

After each separate install I reboot the computer  and checked  for FSX  and ORBX Central for  compliance  Hooray, The Rock is no well and  truly in sight after each install

Thanks Jeff and Holger  for your help and  input , it was greatly appreciated. 

We can  now consider the issue Closed

Best Regards 

Charles 

PS: Australia  without  Ayers Rock is like Paris without the Eiffel tower :o

Archived