Orbx on X-Plane Networked Visual PC Supported?

XOrionFE

I have an X-Plane setup using 2 PCs.  One is the master and also runs 3 TVs each having a seperate 50degree view forward.   I have a second pc that runs two more TVs as the side left and side right and it is setup as a visual slave to the master pc. 

First, this is a single simulator setup but is handled by two pcs.   I assume this is an ok setup with once license of the orbx EU South running.  I basically copied the folders in the scenery folder to the netwoked pc’s scenery folder then ran a verify with ftx central on the slave pc which did download some more files but then confirmed the install.

when I run, the slave PC visuals never load...it up cant seem to run the visuals and appears hung.  All of my other XP scenery as well as custom airports and ortho work fine across the slave pc visuals.

Has this been tested or tried by anyone yet?   This is a common setup for large home cockpit type configurations.

thank you for any comment or insight.

Scott

Ok, well I paid for your product with the expectation that it would work and it does not.   All of my other scenery including 3rd party paid for scenery, ortho scenery, and native scenery loads fine without error.  Only the new orbx region does not load.   So you dont think that is something the orbx team should be helping me with first?   

Thank you 

Scott

ps, I have spent a ton of money on orbx product over the years.    This is the first product in x-plane so I expected their may be some issues but I also expected to get support with my purchase should I have any.

Hi Scott

I am sorry if I may have misunderstood your issue, but it still seems to me that it is not a problem with the product but an issue with how it is being used?

...the most likely sub_forum to attract advice on networking technique issues is here. One of the pinned topics in this sub-forum are below...maybe a viable option for you?

Thank you Doug but it is not a symbolic link issue.   I have used those of course since scenery files need to be on a seperate drive in each pc instance but symbolic links have nothing to do with networked visuals.    It is entirely possible my visual pc does not have enough horsepower to handle orbx scenery (i7 3960clocked at 4.0 with 32 gig ram, ssd drives, and a GTX 1080 TI video card) but doubt it.   The main thing I need to know from the orbx team is whether the product has been tested with xp11 networked visual pcs?   Any Pro system would use this configuration and if Orbx hopes tobe in that market at some point like it does in the P3D world then this is a must setuo to test and support.   I understand if it hasnt been tested yet but perhaps you could at least relay to the proper folks on the team to test out.   

Again, all other scenery I have for XP11 works with networked visual pcs except orbx.    

How do I request a refund if Orbx will not honor my request for support?  The installation manual clearly states Orbx will support its patrons.   Clearly you moved my support request out of the proper support forum I raised the question in while immediately dismissing my issue as an x-plane issue.   

If I cannot run this product as part of a single x-Plane simulator installation with networked visuals then the product has no value to me.

With respect I would like this posted back into the Orbx support forum and at least would like to get a proper response instead of a quick dismissal.

Thank you,

Scott

Hi Scott

Do you know of anyone that is trying to do or has done what you are trying to do? If so, maybe they could help?

I have moved it back to X-Plane support forum for you, and you can use "create a ticket" from the below support link to request a refund.

https://orbxdirect.com/support

Thank you Doug.     I don’t know of anyone off hand using networked visuals but there has to be alot out there as it is an awesome feature of x-plane.    I am sure pro companies such as Precision Flight Controls are but they are not a typical use case for Orbx.    I am a home cockpit builder with a full scale 737 simulator for private use so I am definitely in a minority of orbx users I am sure.  I have over 1700 followers on my youtube channel and one of my posts has over a hal million hits.   My cockpit setup is using all actual parts from  various retired 737-300s as is one of only two like it in the world.   I have a P3D based desktop simulator and own almost every ORBX product on P3D.   My home cockpit however is X-Plane based and I am super excited about the prospect of having orbx scenery for it as Orbx is the best of the best.

That is why I would prefer some help and answers to any sort of refund but under the full understanding that it may not have been tested by the orbx team nor supported.   In fact, the license eula may not even support this config because it requires multiple PCs.   But how do I get these answers other than the proper support channel.    Hell...I would be happy to beta test and provide feedback for this configuration even.   

Thank you for your help and understanding.

Scott

Here is a link to one of my videos if youd like to see 

Very Nice! And on the contrary, we are not trying to dismiss your issue, we are trying to get it maximum visibility.

Maybe Frank, the author of the below topic can help you, although he may not be using X-Plane...but I don't see what the difference would be in regards to Orbx products...

To be honest, I don't know why it wouldn't work. It's just a scenery like any other scenery, and how X-Plane runs it over a network is really nothing to do with the scenery at all, i.e. The network is sending your location etc across the network to the other PC, it isn't sending the scenery so it's very strange it wouldn't work.

Couple of questions here:

- Have you tried to run the scenery standalone on the slaved computer, does it work? (Are they powerful enough to run the scenery standalone)

- Have you checked the log files on the two machines? Perhaps it will give some clue. Include the log files here so we can look at it. The slave computer might be hanging with an error, and you'll see this in the log file. It could be missing a file

- Are all machines setup the same, with the same scenery and order in the scenery_packs.ini file?

Tony, you know I hadnt even thought of trying to run it standalone.  That is a great idea.  And I will post the logs if I cant figure out.  The important piece of information you gave me is that there is nothing special and should run the same as the other scenery so that makes me feel good that I should be able to figure out the cause.   It could very well be lack of horsepower.   I will test this weekend and report back.  

Thank you,

scott

Well guys, with Tony’s suggestion to try tomrun the slave once as standalone to troubleshoot that seems to have corrected whatever was stopping the loading as a slave.   Once I did it once (and it loaded fine) I went back to slave mode and fired up the master.   All worked perfect!   So not sure what the magic was but guessing X-Plane had to finish building some settings or something once prior to trying to run as a slave.    Here is a video with the results.   I cant wait for more scenery from Orbx inside X-Plane.   Real game changer!   Thank you Orbx team for the product and the help in troubleshooting.

Scott

Archived