Mac Users

chifan90

Good morning, 

can you share is the Mac release is still on target for by Saturday/ 1 week?  If so, is there a manual we can download to look at or any instructions we need to do ? 

* side note , can you guys add a filter on your website to filter by sim platform vs just scrolling thru all the products info chart ?  ie filter by x-plane

thanks 

9 minutes ago, chifan90 said:

Good morning, 

can you share is the Mac release is still on target for by Saturday/ 1 week?  If so, is there a manual we can download to look at or any instructions we need to do ? 

* side note , can you guys add a filter on your website to filter by sim platform vs just scrolling thru all the products info chart ?  ie filter by x-plane

thanks 

I second this.  Cheers.

I would think that the link is there in readiness for the files to be uploaded to the server.

I do not understand your comment about customer support.

An undertaking was made to make the Mac version available by the end of the week.

The week has not ended and it looks as if the files will be available soon.

34 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I would think that the link is there in readiness for the files to be uploaded to the server.

I do not understand your comment about customer support.

An undertaking was made to make the Mac version available by the end of the week.

The week has not ended and it looks as if the files will be available soon.

"The cross-platform release for macOS and Linux will be available within one week."

It is Sunday now in York and in Australia. That is more than a week.

What we want is a REPLY. 

Your response indicates that you can't be bothered or don't care.

After all the time checking account page, we have figured out ourselves that the download appearance is imminent.

Not a great first impression of Orbx customer service, I 'm afraid.

Dan

24 minutes ago, Dainius Psitulskis said:

"The cross-platform release for macOS and Linux will be available within one week."

It is Sunday now in York and in Australia. That is more than a week.

What we want is a REPLY. 

Your response indicates that you can't be bothered or don't care.

After all the time checking account page, we have figured out ourselves that the download appearance is imminent.

Not a great first impression of Orbx customer service, I 'm afraid.

Dan

Dan, I am in the same position as you, but I do not see the need to get personal with Nick or anyone else.  There have been other posts indicating that Ben will be doing it and that he was in an aeroplane from the UK to Australia.  Maybe he has taken a bit of leave after getting back home!  So they take a bit longer than a week, so what, it’s only a bit of simulation scenery.  I would rather they use their resources to do the job and do it well than try to predict exactly when it will be ready.  Anyway, let’s hope you and I both love it as much as we want it!  Cheers mate.

44 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

The file is now at Orbx Direct ready to download.

Ready for the Mac you mean?

That's great!

EDIT: bought it and downloading as we speak :-)

What kind of file can I expect? Something to copy to the Custom Scenery directory?

2 hours ago, PaulR9304 said:

Has anyone downloaded for Mac yet?

Just downloaded the files - 1.17 GB - but these don't look like Mac files at all. They're a huge collection of nested zip files with names like _chk1f25ece9-d4fc-41db-95df-d8cda2956abd. That does not seem like the right file structure at all.

Nick, any help here? Thanks.

8 minutes ago, West of 101 said:

Just downloaded the files - 1.17 GB - but these don't look like Mac files at all. They're a huge collection of nested zip files with names like _chk1f25ece9-d4fc-41db-95df-d8cda2956abd. That does not seem like the right file structure at all.

Nick, any help here? Thanks.

How is it only 1.17 Gb, the product page says it’s like 26GB

Just to be clear, the file I downloaded was the one that said CROSS-PLATFORM DOWNLOAD for Mac and Linux users. There's another download on the same page for MANUAL DOWNLOAD. I did not download that one.

Meantime I'm trying the download again. I see now it's got the same name as the last download but it's 27.91 GB. Here's hoping..

4 minutes ago, West of 101 said:

Just to be clear, the file I downloaded was the one that said CROSS-PLATFORM DOWNLOAD for Mac and Linux users. There's another download on the same page for MANUAL DOWNLOAD. I did not download that one.

Meantime I'm trying the download again. I see now it's got the same name as the last download but it's 27.91 GB. Here's hoping..

Good luck man

Downloaded second time, and now I see that both downloads were 27.91 GB. Unfortunately, neither file can be opened. Instead of ending in .zip they end in .zip.download. Which means they didn't quite finish downloading even though the file transfer stopped. That was using Safari. I'm trying the download again, this time through Firefox.

I just downloaded both the manual version and cross platform.  Got 24GB each downloaded with 10 mins left and the servers timed out and start all over.  Such a pain.  But if the files are not correct anyway like Ben said then it wouldn’t have worked regardless. 

Hi everything there and downloaded, however when I start installation using Mac 1 conversion the terminal report starts but says CUDA disabled? Been running all night and still appears to be trying to open the same file but saying CUDA disabled. Any ideas anyone?

4 hours ago, Dainius Psitulskis said:

Important:

When downloaded, read the Cross Platform installation readme.

Scripts are located in the _Orthos folder by the way.

Dan 

What do you mean scripts?  Is this simply not drag and drop into custom scenery? 

Also terminal and CUDA is confusing to me

I think the script is to convert all the orthophoto-textures from .jpg to .dds, which has to be done by the user.

This is akin some of the downloadable US Orthophotos over at the .org.

The _mac_1_conversion fires up the real command: nvcompress with some add-ons.

Having Cuda (nVidia 3d grfx) helps speed up the process.

Will work without nVidia cards, but a bit slower. (the conversion-proces can take up some hours)

Don’t worry about the CUDA message if, like me, you have an AMD card. It took my late 2014 Retina i7 iMac about 20 hours to run the conversion script. The second ‘cleanup’ script didn’t work for some reason but it’s a simple enough task to delete the jpg files manually. 

I have to say at this point the scenery is AMAZING and I can’t wait for the next releases .

Huge thanks to “antwob” and all of the devs for both bringing this to XP and also overcoming the inevitable challenges to release for the Mac community.

THANK YOU ALL. 

Archived