True Earth South GB, first impressions

Cowboy10uk1

Well, she’s finally downloaded and installed and a full fresh install of XP11. In fact I installed XP, purely so I could use this product.  Ok first impressions based on a very quick flight around the very top of the scenery location. RAF Cosford, across Huntington, Cannock Chase, Rugeley, Uttoxeter and Alton Towers, before returning. 

Well I’ll what can I say that you didn’t already know. Wow, pretty mind blowing. Was very easy to navigate using local roads and landmarks, with each one pretty much where you expect to find it, was pleasantly surprised to see even the towers at Rugeley power station were correct considering they only knocked the old ones down last year. 

JCB was easy to find, although the lake outside it appears as grass rather than water, and the golf course that’s alongside JCB looks like a building site, but hey it wasn’t opened until 3 months ago and I’m pretty sure the sat data would have been taken quite a bit before then , so it’s hardly surprising.

Yes I know that is very very picky, but that’s really because You have to be that picky to find anything wrong with this product.   It truely is one of the best renditions of the UK I have ever seen, Cannock Chase looks stunning, and I can even make out the German War cemetery and it’s gravestones. 

The cutoff off point is just a few miles north of Alton Towers, can’t wait to get the next section next month.

all in all, very highly recommended, and I can’t wait to explore properly when I have a bit more time.

Very well done Orbx, you guys and gals have outdone yourself.  Will be getting it for P3D as well the moment it’s avalible. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy10uk1 said:

Well, she’s finally downloaded and installed and a full fresh install of XP11. In fact I installed XP, purely so I could use this product.  Ok first impressions based on a very quick flight around the very top of the scenery location. RAF Cosford, across Huntington, Cannock Chase, Rugeley, Uttoxeter and Alton Towers, before returning. 

Well I’ll what can I say that you didn’t already know. Wow, pretty mind blowing. Was very easy to navigate using local roads and landmarks, with each one pretty much where you expect to find it, was pleasantly surprised to see even the towers at Rugeley power station were correct considering they only knocked the old ones down last year. 

JCB was easy to find, although the lake outside it appears as grass rather than water, and the golf course that’s alongside JCB looks like a building site, but hey it wasn’t opened until 3 months ago and I’m pretty sure the sat data would have been taken quite a bit before then , so it’s hardly surprising.

Yes I know that is very very picky, but that’s really because You have to be that picky to find anything wrong with this product.   It truely is one of the best renditions of the UK I have ever seen, Cannock Chase looks stunning, and I can even make out the German War cemetery and it’s gravestones. 

The cutoff off point is just a few miles north of Alton Towers, can’t wait to get the next section next month.

all in all, very highly recommended, and I can’t wait to explore properly when I have a bit more time.

Very well done Orbx, you guys and gals have outdone yourself.  Will be getting it for P3D as well the moment it’s avalible. 

How long does FTX Central continue in its 'converting' before it finally says 'done'?  Took two hours and 30 minutes to download/install/convert.  Now that it's converted all 11876 files it sits, still downloading, doing nothing but sweep back and forth on the green conversion panel.  There's a big 'X' - do I click I?  

10 hours ago, olderndirt said:

How long does FTX Central continue in its 'converting' before it finally says 'done'?  Took two hours and 30 minutes to download/install/convert.  Now that it's converted all 11876 files it sits, still downloading, doing nothing but sweep back and forth on the green conversion panel.  There's a big 'X' - do I click I?  

Hi. I have just downloaded it and now it’s saying about 3 hours to convert the files and that’s with having a 100 meg broadband. Does anyone know if Xconversion is it called where it’s supposed to sort out your ini file for you and will it be ok with this new scenery. Sorry not sure about the X bit, haven’t got there yet. Derek 

I live in Chichester and have flown out of Goodwood a few times.

We did a True Earth flight this morning and just wow guys thank you so much.

We took off heading south and quickly found the A27 clearer than I have ever been able to spot it with ortho and all the other addons I have tried to install over the years!

Heading west we soon found the Chichester Cathedral green roof. (yes green as it should be!) 

Climbing up a way and heading north we found a simple representation of the goodwood racetrack which was good. 

So we swung south west again and found the A27 and followed the network dual carriage ways and rail tracks and power lines represented where they actually are.... there are blue motorway signs and cars on the correct side of the street which made my girlfriend happy!

We carried on west and went up Portsdown Hill to find QA hospital but no incinerator tower (minor detail) There were a few of the forts modled but a few missing... but a major landmark was missing which was the QinetiQ reaserch institute which looks like a naval ship ontop of the hill and is visible for miles around the area. It would be great to see this modled at some point. 

We went south and did a touch and go at Lee On Solent and saw the Fawley Power Station over our right shoulder as we climbed back towards the Isle of Wight. 

We went back East down the Solent where we thought we might see the sea forts but nothing was there, so we headed towards Gunwarf and the Spinaker Tower which was modled beautifully as were the shops, the lipstick tower and the whole area including Naval ships - blew my mind! 

We carried on North again up to the A27 which is just so easy to spot and follow now and we followed this back home to the Chichester roundabouts, where I spotted the bodies of water which you can use for the approach to the runways of Goodwood.

A safe landing was made and we parked up at the Goodwood flying school and actually went and had breakfast with us both making comments about how amazing the sim is now and how much hard work has gone into making this area... I can only imagine what wonders lie further away and I really look forward to a flight later today toward Arundel Castle and Shoreham Airport. 

For those that wonder about settings. I have a two year old pretty top of the range back then I7 770 with a GTX980. I have a vanilla install of xplane maxed out all boxes ticked and only Orbx TE GB South  and no stutters. I didn’t look at the frame rates but it didn’t feel at all bad. 

45 minutes ago, Meabeachboy said:

I live in Chichester and have flown out of Goodwood a few times.

We did a True Earth flight this morning and just wow guys thank you so much.

We took off heading south and quickly found the A27 clearer than I have ever been able to spot it with ortho and all the other addons I have tried to install over the years!

Heading west we soon found the Chichester Cathedral green roof. (yes green as it should be!) 

Climbing up a way and heading north we found a simple representation of the goodwood racetrack which was good. 

So we swung south west again and found the A27 and followed the network dual carriage ways and rail tracks and power lines represented where they actually are.... there are blue motorway signs and cars on the correct side of the street which made my girlfriend happy!

We carried on west and went up Portsdown Hill to find QA hospital but no incinerator tower (minor detail) There were a few of the forts modled but a few missing... but a major landmark was missing which was the QinetiQ reaserch institute which looks like a naval ship ontop of the hill and is visible for miles around the area. It would be great to see this modled at some point. 

We went south and did a touch and go at Lee On Solent and saw the Fawley Power Station over our right shoulder as we climbed back towards the Isle of Wight. 

We went back East down the Solent where we thought we might see the sea forts but nothing was there, so we headed towards Gunwarf and the Spinaker Tower which was modled beautifully as were the shops, the lipstick tower and the whole area including Naval ships - blew my mind! 

We carried on North again up to the A27 which is just so easy to spot and follow now and we followed this back home to the Chichester roundabouts, where I spotted the bodies of water which you can use for the approach to the runways of Goodwood.

A safe landing was made and we parked up at the Goodwood flying school and actually went and had breakfast with us both making comments about how amazing the sim is now and how much hard work has gone into making this area... I can only imagine what wonders lie further away and I really look forward to a flight later today toward Arundel Castle and Shoreham Airport. 

For those that wonder about settings. I have a two year old pretty top of the range back then I7 770 with a GTX980. I have a vanilla install of xplane maxed out all boxes ticked and only Orbx TE GB South  and no stutters. I didn’t look at the frame rates but it didn’t feel at all bad. 

Great 'immersion' report.  Enjoyed your post.  :)

8 hours ago, PNW User said:

Great 'immersion' report.  Enjoyed your post.  :)

I'll second that!  This area is one I tested throughly, and although not everything can be included/modelled, I'm personally happy you are all enjoying TE England S in XP.   I only purchased XP myself because Orbx  now supports it.  Not sure about earlier versions of XP but XP11 is very, very nice.

Flew a route from Cardiff down the southwest coast to Landsend then on around eastbound to Dover.  Cliffs were discolored green in many places and the white cliffs of Dover were far from it (white that is).  Heading up the Thames, my confidence was restored - extremely well done.  

Archived