Winter textures appearing

Stephen Bowles

Hi, I seem to be getting winter textures appearing in large blocks amidst the appropriate summer textures (see below). This seems to happen across the board and doesn't seem to be weather-related so I'm at a loss as to what's causing it. It's actually a clean install of FSX:SE scenery-wise, with the exception of the FTX regions in my signature.

Hoping you can help!

20180922114135_1.thumb.jpg.5217600f6c5cce32e91365456c9b5e4e.jpg

Hi there,

if those winter textures load in blocks during a flight and have sharp edges without blending -- as visible in the mid- and background of your screenshot -- then the cause will be active snowfall in the local weather data because that's the only known cause for the sim showing this behavior.

See https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/114325-ftx-global-textures-changing-mid-flight/?do=findComment&comment=1026905 

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the replies all, the first topic is an interesting read, but I've got the England region installed, so I don't think it should be exhibiting this behaviour?

I've been away with work for a while but I've got a chance to experiment a bit today/tomorrow so I'll hopefully get a bit more info!

I've had a little play around today with the aid of the default F/A-18's rapid climb abilities in the same area from which the screenshot was posted (NE England).

Under dynamic real-world weather, I get huge swathes of snow. There is definitely no snow across this area of the UK at the moment, although that doesn't rule out something being up with the FSX weather data. I found switching weather themes didn't solve the issue (I went to the default clear skies and storm front themes). However, I did just change the weather without doing anything to load new textures. Perhaps this should be my next track?

Changing the date did seem to solve the problem, but thinking back I did this while in the clear skies theme from previous so I'm not sure it's a fair test (i.e. was it actually the change in date that solved everything, or did it just 'kick start' the texture change - I'm curious about this as it should just be summer to autumn textures at this time of year...). Ah well, back to more experimentation tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived