Global for X Plane Possibly?

simdown42

Hi

My main sim is P3D and I have 100 ORBX airports and regions for the sim.  I'm also using and impressed with X Plane but there appears to be no plans to develop Global, Vector or Land Class for X Plane . I am hesitant to purchase ORBX airports for X Plane, except for Meigs, which I have because once you leave the coverage area you are back to default X Plane textures.

X Plane out of the box is very good but Global, Vector and Land Class would improve X Plane overall immensly.

Cheers

Totally agree. I am also hoping that Orbx will be releasing these products for X-plane at some point.  What is really needed in XP is Orbx Global, HD Trees, Vector and landclass products, and I really hope these products will be coming to XP at some point.

sibbe83, You will see that I have removed the totally unnecessary comments about P3D from your post.

3.    Advertisements, release announcements, sales, contests, affiliate links, and other promotions for other developers or companies are not allowed. Similarly, criticism, comparisons and adverse comments about other developers' products, including flight simulators are not allowed. The Orbx forums are a private platform and not to be used for promoting or condemning other entities.

I think you don't quite get how different the ground fundamentals of FSX/P3D and X-Plane really are. In the MSFS World you have elevation data, landclass locations and so on in different structures, that are put together at runtime. X-Plane on the other hand has most these stuff already put together in a mesh tile. A mesh tile always contains a 1° by 1° area of the earth. At every location on the earth you can only have one mesh! And this mesh is the foundation. It already contains elevation datat, a possible phototexture, landclasses and it might contain vector data for roads, rivers, power lines and polygons for forests and autogen and some locations for wind turbines and so on. Andras Fabian once wrote a better description in german ( https://www.simflight.de/2014/08/15/mesh-und-landclass-der-x-plane-welt/ ). The advantage of this step is, that the computer already put a lot of power into it, once the mesh was created. It doesn't has to do these steps at runtime.

But for Global, vector or landclass products this is a fundamental problem. You simply can*'t put Vector into X-Plane, because it is a fundamental part of the mesh files. You could try to convert Base textures, but even they won't fit. In FSX and P3D these textures always have the same size, but since X-Plane uses an irregular mesh the system will need bigger or smaller parts. In mos6t cases they would probably only look ridiculous. I don't say that it is impossible to do better files, but I think the products that you would need, would be something completly different.

Don't forget, OrbX never started with Global, Vector and OpenLC. Theses things were only created after they had done several FTX Regions. They had created many materials for these regions and they were put into the global products. It will take years, before they could really create such products for X-Plane.

Very well explained Longranger!

We have not excluded the possibility of creating a new set of base ground textures for XP, but it would be a long-term project as our understanding of the XP architecture improves. I think most people will be quite happy with the default textures because Fabian did quite a nice job with them, especially some of the mountain and wilderness textures.

I think most people don’t like the cartoon feel of cities and towns and this is where our TrueEarth and CityScene series come into play.

18 hours ago, John Venema said:

We have not excluded the possibility of creating a new set of base ground textures for XP, but it would be a long-term project as our understanding of the XP architecture improves. I think most people will be quite happy with the default textures because Fabian did quite a nice job with them, especially some of the mountain and wilderness textures.

I think most people don’t like the cartoon feel of cities and towns and this is where our TrueEarth and CityScene series come into play.

Any chance to see some regional autogen packages? It´s sad to only have German and US autogen for the whole world.

The autogen that´s coming with TrueEarth UK seems to be really good. Would be great to see some custom autogen for South America, Asia and Africa. I know it would be a huge project, like the textures, but would really improve the platform (like Orbx did with the OpenLCs). 

On 7/26/2018 at 6:00 AM, John Venema said:

Hey John.. I rarely reply to much of you posts if any, and usually instead just sit, read, ponder, and let you do what you do..  God knows you're busy enough.  Just want to say thank you for embracing X-Plane. If it wasn't for Orbx embracing X-Plane I may have taken even longer to take a second look at it.. (tunnel vision, comfort zones at play here. It's like driving a Ford all your life and barely ever looking at a Chevy etc).  When I saw your company was going to develop for X-Plane my brain said "Oh crap, Orbx is now getting onboard X-Plane? If they're on board, maybe I should take a second look."   I've since made X-Plane my primary sim.  Have tossed your company money for every X-Plane release you have offered so far and most likely will continue to do so in the future.  

So again.. Thank you. I'm 41, and it's been fun rediscovering "flight" in an entire new "cockpit" simply by your company sort of giving the "nod of approval" to an entirely different platform. 

Archived