Full P3D upgrade, reinstall Global, Trees, Libraries, then force migration?

B77X

Is that all I need to do when uninstalling and installing a new P3D with all my Orbx products? Delete the txt file for libraries, Global, and Trees? Then install them, and run the force migration, that will get my installation back to normal? Thank you.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

That should do it, if those are the only two products.

There are more Orbx products, I need to reinstall all the OpenLC and FTX regions after upgrading P3D?

5 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I have assumed that you have kept your ORBX folder but nothing else.

Can you clarify if that is the case or if you did something else?

Ran p3d uninstaller from add.remove programs then installed p3d 4.3, did not delete orbx files or folders. read your post about only global, trees, and libraries needing a full reinstall because p3d can overwrite orbx files. And I ran the migration and it said all my regions and openlc were successful and ok

There are Orbx files in scenery\world \scenery, texture, sound and effects

that will not be replaced if those folders were deleted by your uninstall of P3D.

If the Orbx files were left there by the P3D installer, then all will be well.

I would recommend that you remove the version text files for all of your other products and let FTX Central 

check them and add files as necessary.

Even with all the products it doesn't take too long and there should be very little downloading.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

There are Orbx files in scenery\world \scenery, texture, sound and effects

that will not be replaced if those folders were deleted by your uninstall of P3D.

If the Orbx files were left there by the P3D installer, then all will be well.

I would recommend that you remove the version text files for all of your other products and let FTX Central 

check them and add files as necessary.

Even with all the products it doesn't take too long and there should be very little downloading.

P3d uninstalled the default files and leaves folders if other files are there. I checked the scenery location of altitude files and all there. But I'll reinstall to be confident thank you.

Hello,

if you want to do that with P3D v4, just delete or rename 

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\terrain.cfg, restart P3D

and a new default one will be created.

Then run FTX Central and all the Orbx modifications will be added.

@NickCooper

Hi Nick

I was once told that by just replacing P3D client and content was enough to upgrade the sim. Is this still ok or should version 4.3 must be installed in complete?

I rather just reinstall the client and content and follow your post:

Please advise

Regards,

Carlos

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

you can install just the client with no effect on the Orbx products.

I believe that you can install the content over the existing content but Elaine wrote the excellent guide and you should consult that.

Thank you very much Nick for your speedy reply

Regards,

Carlos

10 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Thank you very much Nick for your speedy reply

Regards,

Carlos

I would say most testing is done by the p3d guys and developers using a complete upgrade of the current p3d version. You might do the same, to be sure and have a stable sim. I do it every time, remove all 3 from the add remove programs, select the one in the list just called prepar3d and it will uninstall the other 3. Move scenery.cfg, terrain.cfg and prepar3d.cfg to my desktop and as I wrote in the first post the plan to get Orbx back. Then I add the scenery in the old scenery.cfg that aren't Orbx, and the Lorby Addon Manager helps layer it all and P3D is working again.

17 minutes ago, B77X said:

I would say most testing is done by the p3d guys and developers using a complete upgrade of the current p3d version. You might do the same, to be sure and have a stable sim. I do it every time, remove all 3 from the add remove programs, select the one in the list just called prepar3d and it will uninstall the other 3. Move scenery.cfg, terrain.cfg and prepar3d.cfg to my desktop and as I wrote in the first post the plan to get Orbx back. Then I add the scenery in the old scenery.cfg that aren't Orbx, and the Lorby Addon Manager helps layer it all and P3D is working again.

Hi David

Thanks for your post. I do believe P3D should be reinstalled completely for better but I have so many third party addons that I'm really worried of doing a full reinstalled and then have lots of problems with these addons, it is so boring to be reinstalling all of them. With Orbx it is easy becuase it is like a sort of group but with all the others it is more complicated and in the case of Fly Tampa some modifications had to be done. So I though of upgrading just the client as explained by Elaine to save time and avoid the reinstall of all the addons my P3D folder currently weights 744 GB in total with all addons I have, it takes too long to reinstall all of than, and I've beeing doing it since I changed from FS9.

I will give a try to the client only first and will test.

Thank you!

Ever since switching to P3Dv4, I have only updated the client and the sim works fine.  Re-installing all non-Orbx airports with each P3D upgrade, I feel, isn't worth the trouble, so updating only the client is what I prefer.

Stew

7 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Ever since switching to P3Dv4, I have only updated the client and the sim works fine.  Re-installing all non-Orbx airports with each P3D upgrade, I feel, isn't worth the trouble, so updating only the client is what I prefer.

Stew

Hi Stew

Just did and all works pretty fine even the ATC!!!!!

Amazing

Thanks

2 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Hi David

Thanks for your post. I do believe P3D should be reinstalled completely for better but I have so many third party addons that I'm really worried of doing a full reinstalled and then have lots of problems with these addons, it is so boring to be reinstalling all of them. With Orbx it is easy becuase it is like a sort of group but with all the others it is more complicated and in the case of Fly Tampa some modifications had to be done. So I though of upgrading just the client as explained by Elaine to save time and avoid the reinstall of all the addons my P3D folder currently weights 744 GB in total with all addons I have, it takes too long to reinstall all of than, and I've beeing doing it since I changed from FS9.

I will give a try to the client only first and will test.

Thank you!

I have a similar installation to you, did a full reinstall. Flytampa folders intact and their effects files and others also untouched by the uninstall of p3d.

Just now, B77X said:

I have a similar installation to you, did a full reinstall. Flytampa folders intact and their effects files and others also untouched by the uninstall of p3d.

Noted, thanks for the additional info

cheers

1 hour ago, carlosqr said:

Noted, thanks for the additional info

cheers

Note another that I remember, FlyTampa and OpenLC or Orbx regions conflict. Do not activate the landclass scenery entry for FlyTampa scenery in an Orbx area, like Amsterdam/Toronto for OpenLC and Sydney if you have the Orbx Australia region.

29 minutes ago, B77X said:

Note another that I remember, FlyTampa and OpenLC or Orbx regions conflict. Do not activate the landclass scenery entry for FlyTampa scenery in an Orbx area, like Amsterdam/Toronto for OpenLC and Sydney if you have the Orbx Australia region.

I am familiar with the problem with Toronto_LC conflicting with FTX OLC NA, but specifically what are the problems at Amsterdam and Sydney?  Can you elaborate?  Because off-hand, I don't see any problems at those two airports with Amsterdam_LC and Sydney_LC both enabled.

Thanks.

Stew

5 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I am familiar with the problem with Toronto_LC conflicting with FTX OLC NA, but specifically what are the problems at Amsterdam and Sydney?  Can you elaborate?  Because off-hand, I don't see any problems at those two airports with Amsterdam_LC and Sydney_LC both enabled.

Thanks.

Stew

Black or other discoloured blob textures randomly appearing disappearing near the airport. To the southwest of SYD was one patch of misplaced texture. The same texture problem at Toronto with OLC NA enabled.

40 minutes ago, B77X said:

Hi yes, that I know

Thanks a lot

8 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Thanks.

Stew

Hi Stew

In Sydney and Toronto very strnagfe ground textures show if you enable the Land Class folders (like ground night textures but during day time)

Cheers

If I do thew full reinstall

What would happen with FSD, Aerosoft, Latvin VFR, 29 palms. Drzewiecki Design, Just Sim,  and other addons? would they mess up? One of thouse even installed an autogen merger.

I just installed the client one and opened the FTX Central without resintalling anything else from Orbx, and flew in Netherlands and found some squares in the see, turquoise, when I departed Lelystand and it seems there are a lot more in the north which is making me wanting to do the full reinstall, but I wonder if the other addons would cause a disaster

Cheers

18 minutes ago, B77X said:

Black or other discoloured blob textures randomly appearing disappearing near the airport. To the southwest of SYD was one patch of misplaced texture. The same texture problem at Toronto with OLC NA enabled.

13 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Hi Stew

In Sydney and Toronto very strnagfe ground textures show if you enable the Land Class folders (like ground night textures but during day time)

Cheers

Thank you, Dave and Carlos.  I haven't seen these texture problems, probably because I wasn't looking for them!  But thanks for the heads-up.

Stew

2 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

I just installed the client one and opened the FTX Central without resintalling anything else from Orbx, and flew in Netherlands and found some squares in the see, turquoise, when I departed Lelystand and it seems there are a lot more in the north which is making me wanting to do the full reinstall, but I wonder if the other addons would cause a disaster

I don't know the answer, Carlos, but for the time being, I will install only the client for 4.3 and play it safe unless there is a strong reason to install the content module, which I think can mess up any addon airports that are installed in the P3D root folder, and also the terrain, effects, and simobjects folders.  Overwriting the simobjects folders will dump all the AI and 3rd party aircraft installed in the airplanes folder.  I don't look forward to restoring all those aircraft just because I've installed a newer contents module for v4.3.  I note that Elaine has suggested that most of us need only install the client and leave the other two modules alone.

8 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

If I do thew full reinstall

What would happen with FSD, Aerosoft, Latvin VFR, 29 palms. Drzewiecki Design, Just Sim,  and other addons? would they mess up? One of thouse even installed an autogen merger.

Cheers

The files stay also the config stays. The autogen merger program runs after p3d starts and will add your autogen entries back.

3 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I don't know the answer, Carlos, but for the time being, I will install only the client for 4.3 and play it safe unless there is a strong reason to install the content module, which I think can mess up any addon airports that are installed in the P3D root folder, and also the terrain, effects, and simobjects folders.  Overwriting the simobjects folders will dump all the AI and 3rd party aircraft installed in the airplanes folder.  I don't look forward to restoring all those aircraft just because I've installed a newer contents module for v4.3.  I note that Elaine has suggested that most of us need only install the client and leave the other two modules alone.

Noted Stew

Thanks

3 minutes ago, B77X said:

The files stay also the config stays. The autogen merger program runs after p3d starts and will add your autogen entries back.

Interesting

Does this happen to your Netherlands?

F3eoZ7Y.jpg

hIxVUrW.jpg

Cheers

If you guys follow Poppet's write up, you can uninstall and reinstall the three components and not effect any of your add-on scenery or aircraft except those like PMDG and any scenery addons that change textures like Active Sky, REX. In brief with no grief:

Delete Shaders in directory in AppData/local/lockheed martin/p3dv4/shaders

Rename Prepar3D.cfg to Prepar3D.cfg.sav in AppData/roaming/lockheedmartin/Prepare3Dv4

1. Uninstall Client when asked to invalidate say no

2. uninstall Content

3. uninstall Scenery  

REBOOT

1. Install Client

2. Install Content

3. Install Scenery

Reinstall Active Sky update for this version.

All will be fine.

1 minute ago, BBQSteve said:

If you guys follow Poppet's write up, you can uninstall and reinstall the three components and not effect any of your add-on scenery or aircraft except those like PMDG and any scenery addons that change textures like Active Sky, REX. In brief with no grief:

Rename Prepar3D.cfg to Prepar3D.cfg.sav in AppData/roaming/lockheedmartin/Prepare3Dv4

2. uninstall Content

3. uninstall Scenery  

REBOOT

1. Install Client

2. Install Content

3. Install Scenery

All will be fine.

Ok, thanks

2 minutes ago, BBQSteve said:

2. uninstall Content

3. uninstall Scenery  

REBOOT

1. Install Client

2. Install Content

3. Install Scenery

All will be fine.

And how PMDG is fixed if it gets affected by the update? pls

Thanks

1 minute ago, BBQSteve said:

No idea, I have none of their products, but I would suspect if they aren't in your sim, either a reinstall or wait for an update.

I have them, well thank you for your comments too

I confirm to all that I followed the procedure written by Elaine, provided by Nick, recommended by B77X and recaped by BBQ Steve, and all works fine for me, just those strange water textures pictured above for which I hope @NickCooper could give me a light of how to fix it.

@StewartHobson, so far all ok and still have all addons. I'll continue testing though. I'll let you know in case you'd like to give it a try too.

Cheers

6 hours ago, carlosqr said:

And how PMDG is fixed if it gets affected by the update? pls

Thanks

PMDG run through the dll.xml that is not deleted or overwritten by an uninstall reinstall

Archived