Tongass Fjords P3D 4.2 Issue I've Found...

Greetings guys and gals.

Over on the Misty Moorings forum I've been chatting about the only issue I have with Tongass Fjords and P3D v4.2. I have found I'm getting quite a large, but very brief, "pause" while flying in the vicinity of Sitka (PASI) and/or taxing, being parked, taking off, etc... I don't want to call what the issue I'm seeing "stutter", as it's not the typical stutter we have all experienced back in the old FSX days. This is a pause for about 1/2 a second when looking around in the virtual cockpit more than a 120 degrees at a time. It's especially noticeable when rotating the external aircraft camera in spot view 180 degree's while on the runway. The pauses will drop my frame-rate from a locked 33fps to 2fps for 1/2 a second each time I rotate or move my view either inside the VC or outside. The views I am using aren't any views created by EZDock V2, just the default P3D v4 camera and the default aircraft cameras. ALL AI aircraft that came with Tongass Fjords are disabled and not even in the scenery folder. Traffic is also disabled in game as well to make sure this isn't an old addon causing the issue.   

I have however narrowed the problem down to the water, water mask and/or terrain files that define the coastlines in Tongass Fjords. I was able to narrow it down by the process of elimination in the 'Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority/Scenery' folder. When I temporarily turn off 'cvx_TF_FSX_water_summer.BGL to cvx_TF_FSX_water_summer.BGL.OFF the pauses completely disappear. However, as expected, so does the ocean as it's replaced with solid terrain and tree's -the exact same result as if you forgot to add the 40 Tongass Fjords entries to the terrain.cfg file.

I NEVER had this issue in FSX, P3D, P3Dv2 or P3D v3.4, only in P3D 4.2 64bit. The *ONLY* thing I could think of that might be causing these annoying pauses is the fact that *ALL* of the texture files for Tongass Fjords are in Bitmap (.bmp) format and not in .DDS?? For an example of a P3D v4 "certified" scenery addon I looked around the OrbX scenery texture files and couldn't find *ANY* bitmap files... I wish I knew more regarding scenery editing and creation as I might be able to fix this issue myself. I was thinking of converting the bitmap files to .DDS using Imagetool from the SDK, however I wanted to see if perhaps Holger or any other veteran scenery creators had any ideas.

Please test this for yourselves in P3D 4.2 and post back whether or not you also get the same pauses at or near Sitka (PASI) Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated!

Cheers
Andrew

I cannot confirm your problem. I'm running WIN10. P3Dv4.2, TongassX installad, all RTMM sceneries, all AI-traffic active - tried different views, no pauses or any kind of stuttering.

Frames stay at my blocked rate of 30.

Btw. bmp files in P3Dv4.x don't have any impact on the frame rates.

Hi Andrew,

not sure what you mean in regards to .bmp format as all the ground and vector texture.bmp files in \Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority\texture are in fact required to be in DXT1 or DXT5 .bmp format and also exist as such in the equivalent Orbx and default folders. It's object textures that can be in either .dds or .bmp format and those reside in \Tongass_Fjords_Higher_Priority\texture (FYI, the sim engine actually looks for .bmp first though, as Dieter points out, it has no measurable impact on performance).

Since your pauses seem to be connected with the water files: what happens if, with the water files active, you turn off special effects? Perhaps you didn't install the shoreline surf effects for Tongass and thus the sim is searching for them. Or, alternatively, your sim somehow doesn't deal well with those surf effects when they get loaded (visual effects are very low on the display priority chain and thus frequently drop out and then restart when changing views).

Cheers, Holger

Wow, well, that was it Holger. I turned my Effects Detail and Distance down to low (they were both at medium like I always have them) and the pauses went away... Very odd as it's the only scenery I have that causes this type of pause. I have pretty much all sliders to the right when flying in bush areas as my new machine seems to work quite well. Interesting.

Here's my machine specs if it's helpful at all. Either way, cheers for giving me a tip with the effects settings, at least it's really narrowed down now.

Windows 10 64
Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7
i7 8700K @ 5.3
64GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (PC4-29800)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3
1200W Corsair PSU

With the effects all the way down and the effects distance at full, there's no pauses at all. As soon as the effects slider is set to medium, the pauses come back. Strange why it would just be doing it in TFJ... Keep me in the loop Holger if you see anyone else with the same or similar issue and whether or not there's some kind of "fix" for it. I wouldn't mind so much if the effects setting didn't affect chimney smoke and other neat stuff in the simulator as I could really care less about the wave effects. :/

Thanks
Andrew

Archived