P3Dv4.2 reinstall

Due to some unresolvable issues I have reluctantly decided to reinstall P3Dv4.2.

I have a bucket load of ORBX scenery which is currently in my P3Dv4.2 root folder.

Do I have to download it all again and reinstall through FTX Central or is there a way to avoid this time-consuming process?

Some advice would be most appreciated!

With P3Dv4.3 just around the corner I guess it would pay to wait until then - does anyone have any intel when this might be?

Many thanks.

If you completely uninstall P3D then you will need to reinstall your Orbx addons. I would strongly recommend first trying a Repair of P3D by going to your Programs & Features in Control panel and  clicking on P3D Academic Client. It will then give you the choice of Uninstalling or Repair. The Repair option will keep all your Orbx addons in place and may well solve whatever problem your are having. You don't mention the problem specifically. I would Google for the full instructions on running a Repair, but what I have described is what i have done on several occasions. If that doesn't work then maybe post what your current problems are and seek advice.

Regarding P3D v4.3 arriving soon, that would normally only require the installing of the new Client rather than the whole new P3D but of course you could decide to install the whole new upgrade which would involve reinstalling all the Orbx addons.

Hi

Over at the Avsim boards under P3D headings-there are great instructions how to recover a damaged P3D install

The common scenarios covered and clear instructions what to do from someone who seems to be very close to the LM operation 

Poppet is the knowledge deliverer and she knows her stuff!

Well worth a look before initiating drastic actions

xxd09

Well, it was too good to be true - the repair option didn't completely fix everything so I'm doing a complete reinstall.

Nick: I'm following your reinstall guide and have made a backup of the ORBX scenery folder but can't find the sound and effects folders anywhere.

They're not there Nick - in the hiatus over trying to fix P3D they may have been unintentionally lost.

Is there any way I can download them from ORBX or will I have to bite the bullet and download/reinstall everything through FTX Central again?:(

Hello,

those folders are part of the simulator and have Orbx files added to them as products are installed.

If they have been deleted the only option is to reinstall the products.

At least the downloading will be kept to a minimum if the method suggested to refresh the libraries

in the topic is followed for each product.

18 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

At least the downloading will be kept to a minimum if the method suggested to refresh the libraries

in the topic is followed for each product.

Sorry Nick don't quite understand this - could you explain what's involved step by step?

1. If FTX Central v3 does not automatically update the libraries, you can go to

ORBX\User Documents\Versions\ and delete FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT .

Run FTX Central again and only the files that you need will be downloaded and installed.

Re-install FTX Global Base.

To do this, go to ORBX\User Documents\Versions and delete FTX_GLOBAL_BASE_PACK.txt.

When you run FTX Central, FTX Global Base will show as Not installed. Click on its icon and

follow the prompts.

This method should be used to set any product to show Not installed and it can then be re-installed

if required. FTX Central will check the installation and only download the files that are missing.

On 6/18/2018 at 7:43 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

try this:

Will be loading up a NEW PC very soon with everything (ORBX related) needed for P3D v4.3 (waiting for that) and then transferring (thus re-installing) as per Nick's clear instructions.

Hope to give the expected good feedback soon.

Urgh, sadly I will also be making use of the info in this thread. After a couple of weeks away I ran P3Dv4.1 and got a black screen. After much googling I saw all sorts of solutions, I tried updating to 4.2 (client only), I tried deleting the shaders folder, I tried deleting all generated files, repairing the install client, rolling back my nvidia drivers, etc..... Nothing worked.

One wonders how something like this happens suddenly - two weeks ago I had a great flight between ORBX Dubrovnik and ORBX Pula, I landed, switched off P3D and the next time I booted into P3D (today) I can't even run it properly. I haven't added anything to the sim since then.

Anyway, in the end I'm going to bite the bullet and completely nuke my whole sim install and start fresh.

I'm a bit worried about copying over the whole "Sound" and "Effects" folders though, because I wonder if it might bring over remnants of other addons - I'm really keen on a clean start. Am I worrying about nothing?

So what happens if I only copy over the ORBX folder? Does it mean reinstalling everything but without needing to download anything?

I'm OK with reinstalling my ORBX scenery but don't want to have to download everything again, given the massive amount of ORBX scenery I have!

Hello,

if you copy only the ORBX folder, you will need to reinstall all your products and the Orbx libraries for them

to work as intended.

FTX Global Base has to be reinstalled in any case, as it replaces default textures.

During the installation of many other products files are added to the main texture, effects and sound folders

as well as in various places in the scenery folder.

The good news is that if you choose to copy only the ORBX folder, at least FTX Central will not download most of

those files again.

The way to do it is to rename your ORBX\User documents\Versions folder so that FTX Central cannot see it.

All your products will then show as not installed and you can run "Install product" for each of them.

Good luck with the reinstall Cyberpilot!

For what it's worth, my issue was related to my GPU drivers. Probably some combination of recent updates from nvidia/windows caused my black screen issues. Strictly speaking I could probably have found a way to solve the black screen without a full reinstall, but anyway....

If nothing else this re-install is a fascinating test of the impact of the different addons. I mean impact both in terms of how they add to the sim and their impact on performance. So far I've tested vanilla P3Dv4.2, then added the full FTX Global range. SO much nicer with FTX and the performance impact was minimal - still getting around 100-120fps at 3440x1440.

I'm about to add FTX AU and then try the same test (take-off from yssy and a short flight around). Will be fascinating to see how much FTX AU adds in visuals and how much it impacts performance. Eventually I'll add FlyTampa's YSSY and then Active Sky + Cloud Art, then try an add-on aircraft. But I'm planning to do the same short test flight between each step to see the impacts.

Thanks Musketeer.

As soon as P3Dv4.3 is released (hopefully this week) I will do a complete reinstall and report back.

Not looking forward to this but  it's got to be done! 

Have to say that P3D4 is a strange beast - worked faultlessly for 6 months then without warning packed a sad without me tweaking it or adding anything. 

FSX on the other hand was far more reliable, at least in my experience. 

Archived