Bufferpools

chumley

I have followed the setup used by Mr Fledermouse and set up Buuferpools to 350000000 as suggested. After a couple of minutes FSX goes belly up and needs reloading. Later I saw a suggestion that Bufferpools should (could) be set to 400000000 so I promptly had a go and guess what - belly up again within a few minutes.

What exactly does the Bufferpools option do and should I persist or simply give up now. FSX appears quite stable without it and only suffers the occasional micro stutter which whilst a taf annoying is far less so that reloading FSX

Thanks

Aybe

Guest bliksimpie

Bufferpools seem to work with some. My set-up never appreciated bufferpools entry and it did not matter to what I set it. It always crashed my FSX. Once I left that out, I never had the problem again.

Hi Chumley,

I used to use Bufferpools (at very high levels ie 400 million).

I have removed the tweak altogether now, as I found it was detrimental with later Nvidia drivers and my GTX280.

What you are seeing is probably Vram exhaustion, which seems to happen with this tweak when set too high.

The first thing on my system seems to be "translation" error - with parts of 3D objects not rendering, and other parts pointing the wrong way!

If it doesn;t work for you .. then don't use it!  And feel none the poorer ...

Bufferpools, as I understand it, does as it name suggests.  It provides a buffer that allows your graphics card to handle the load while the aircraft is in a turn.

Stuttering during turns is one of the most persistent problems in FSX and for me, is by far the most difficult to get rid of.  When I turn a plane on the ground at a busy airport in come the stutters.

One simple way is to push the sliders to the left, another is to use the TEXTURE_MAX etc tweak in the config file to reduce the load another way.  And bufferpools is another.

For me the jury is still out.  I simply can't get rid of stutters, although straight line flying in high density scenery is fine.

The drivers play a big part with bufferpools setting. Newer drivers don't like it.

Older drivers like my 182.50 love it.

I'm using the 182.50 drivers and my system hates it.

I suppose I could experiment with Bufferpools 300,000,000 as someone has suggested but for now I have a different problem. Using the LDS 767 I crashed out twice last evening - after 108 minutes then again at 159 minutes. No idea why but I am considering resetting the FSX.cfg to whatever Bill thinks (or at least his software) is a good thing or if all else fails throwing away Win 7.

Then, I may just ditch the lot and start again. :o

Aybe

Hi Aybe,

not sure what the problem could be, with the bufferpools some systems run a treat and others just go down the drain.

A thing that could help is to make sure that you un-install all nVidia related stuff and start that from scratch.

I'm using the latest Beta 195.62 and things run fine at this end with the 350,000,000 size bufferpool

Aybe ... given how many people run Windows 7 - I think it would be a little premature to assume that's the problem.

It would be useful to add your system specs to your signature to make it easier to put what you are saying in context.

There is a difference in CTD (Crash to Desktop), BSOD Crash (Blue Screen of Death / Halt errors) or just an unsceduled system Restart - and they all have (slightly) different causes.  So (as is always the case) a stepwise problem solving

if i remember from another site, it has to do with vram size. If you only have a 512 meg card i wouldnt set it above 10 meg. it reserves vram for storage, so what aver you set is unavaliable for fsx to use, so if you set it to 300 meg on a 512 card you only have 200 meg for fsx so it runs out of vram and bang. those with 750 meg cards and higher can obvioulsy get better use of it.

Just to throw a spanner in the BIG buffer pool tweak - I use a smaller BP of just 800000 [eight hundred thousand] with amazing results... for my system it allows me to run a permanent 'unlimited' frame rate without the wild fluctuations and stutters that result from it.  I have tried big values and find anything over fifty-million starts to hamper frame rates and anything over one hundred million can result in corruption.  At this level I get very smooth flying and very good frame rates.

Naturally this may be of no use on some systems, but for me it works and therefore maybe worth a shot - bigger is not always better ;)

This is using a 1gb 9800 GPU [driver ver 195.81], which you would think could benefit from a big BP, but there you go... FSX is an odd beast.

Archived