Gold Coast airports feedback

mburkhard

Dear ORBX,

as a ORBX collector since almost day 1 I of course went ahead and bought the new Gold Coast airports immediately after release. But to be honest, this is one of the rare occasions where I'm disappointed with the quality delivered by ORBX. Here's why:

• Terminal building textures. I was quite shocked when I parked my airliner in front of the terminal building and looked out the window. The texture covering the entire wall of the terminal is very low resolution and therefore covered in pixelated artefacts. The Gold Coast letters, the window front, as well as the signs in front of the terminal are of extremely low resolution and particularly noticeable since we park our aircraft right in front of it.

goldcoast1.thumb.jpg.c47a61939890403f88394a9460c032cc.jpg

Surely it would be possible to have a better texture for terminal wall? Or better yet, model the wall a bit more 3D-like (by this I don't mean the interior!), the same as you and other developers do on other airports? Having this low resolution textures right before your eyes when parked is quite bad and not up to standards of 2018.

• No dynamic ground support vehicles. Almost all competitors have dynamic vehicles on airports of similar size an up. FlyTampa, 29Palms, FlightBeam... Surely ORBX could do those as well? It is kind of a standard for airliner sized add-on airports. 

• Instead a huge amount of static GSE was placed onto the tarmac. So much so that it is now difficult to place the GSX vehicles around each parking spot. Perhaps you could make it adjustable in density, like you do on some of your other airports? That way GSX users could find some spots to place these vehicles.

• Taxiway edges. At some taxiways there is this strange dark, half transparent band running along the asphalt. Looks kind of low-res and out of place? 

goldcoast2.thumb.jpg.9dabff02ebddffac500c9fde1339a5b1.jpg

• Approach area. When on short final I can see some crudely placed grass patches with rough edges. They are quite well noticable because of the low altitude one crosses these. A minor item only, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, because I know from other ORBX add-ons that you can do better.

goldcoast3.thumb.jpg.e151e9c0c0d904f86f491311a15dc164.jpg

• Last one, ground textures at YSPT: I really wished there were a ground poly in place at YSPT. Right now the taxiway lines are of an extremely low resolution. A pity because the rest is modelled very nicely. A ground poly would make the place look stunning!

Please don't take this feedback the wrong way. I love ORBX and own almost all of it for P3D. When I bought Gold Coast I was expecting the latest in technology and quality by ORBX, like that wonderful Innsbruck scenery of yours. But instead it left me regretting that I had bought it, especially because of these crude terminal walls with its low resolution textures. Surely in 2018 ORBX can do a better job on this building? I mean I know you can, I've seen it on so many other of your add-ons. So perhaps you could do an update in the near future to bring quality a bit more on par with your other airports?

Thanks for listening,

Markus

goldcoast4.jpg

Hi Markus,

some of your point are true, and will be take in consideration like an improvement for next airports. But if some things have been done like this it is for technical reasons. I'm not able to explain every choice taken because is to difficult/long to explains by word.

I can say i took all the best solution to gives to the airport the best possible looking. 

Personally i prefer to have a nice airport blended with sourrounding with a baked night map over it, instead super hig-res textures.

Cheers, Matteo

PS: Are you sure to have the texture size of p3d set to 2048 or 4096?

• 1 month later...

Hello MBURKHARD ! I am in the same boat as you , as being a collector from day 1. But my YBCG quality seems okay , i'm using FSX/ACC windows 7/64 with NVIDIA GTX 1080. Tell me do you use preview DX10 with Steve's Fixer as i have noticed that at night i get a black apron with only the static aircraft and stairs tug.s trollys etc lighting up even though the lights are on? My A/C is also dark with only the nav lights beacon etc showing? But if i turn DX10 off there is no problem and everthing shows as it should but with faint runway taxiway lights etc? Regards Deanne.

Archived